Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Round pin era electrics are back

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

NT

Round pins never went away.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:01:00 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto

Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.
--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:28:40 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto
Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

yep. Its ok if the live metal's shrouded.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto
Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

yep. Its ok if the live metal's shrouded.

NT

How does the shrouding work then? The threaded aperture certainly looks
big enough to get a finger in, if you fumble while changing a bulb.

At least with the more modern 2 pin fittings they were only connected
when a bulb was inserted.

--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

grunted in
:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to precisely
118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:09:22 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
In message ,
writes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto
Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

yep. Its ok if the live metal's shrouded.

How does the shrouding work then? The threaded aperture certainly looks
big enough to get a finger in, if you fumble while changing a bulb.
At least with the more modern 2 pin fittings they were only connected
when a bulb was inserted.

Enough shrounding means the metal outer cap on an ES bulb isnt touchable when screwed in. Of course a finger has access to live metal on an empty holder, same as true with most BC holders. Its not BS, understand what youre buying.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to precisely
118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

Here's a better link, at John Lewis. I stumbled across this the other
day when looking for something else.

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons (i.e.
back when, if something was declared "unsafe", it really feckin' WAS
unsafe!).

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Lobster wrote:

grunted in

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically?

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John wrote:

Here's a better link,

[omitted - eedjit, John] Here :
http://www.johnlewis.com/3-round-pin...amp/p231577942

Andy Burns wrote:

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John wrote:
In article , Lobster
wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to
precisely 118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

Here's a better link, at John Lewis. I stumbled across this the other
day when looking for something else.

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons (i.e.
back when, if something was declared "unsafe", it really feckin' WAS
unsafe!).

Nothing to do with safety. The Ring Mail circuit which used fused plugs
was introduced because of a copper shortage. Round pins are still used in
the UK in theatres which are very safety concious places.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Amongst all those adapters I found this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GU10-MR16-Li...s=bulb+adaptor

Yes you read that right... a GU10 to MR16 adapter....

Hope there is power conversion circuitry in the adapter itself or
shoving 240V at up to 6A into a MR16 bulb is either likely to pop the
fuse/MCB or destroy the bulb.....

On 06/12/2013 08:35, Andy Burns wrote:
Another John wrote:

Lobster wrote:

grunted in

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically?

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 December 2013 08:35:27 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

I think there must be some confusion here. The OP's subject mentioned 'round pin electrics' yet linked to a page of bulb adaptors.

As you say, the round pin plugs linked certainly never went away. They've been present in the Screwfix catalogue et al for as long as I can remember. I always use them for lounge lighting to enable wall-switch control of table/side lamps.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 06 December 2013 08:28 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article ,
Lobster wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to
precisely 118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

Here's a better link, at John Lewis. I stumbled across this the other
day when looking for something else.

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons (i.e.
back when, if something was declared "unsafe", it really feckin' WAS
unsafe!).

John

Intrinsically they are no less safe than a 13A plug when used according to
design.

They do not have fuses (usually), so they need to be installed on a circuit
designed for that - ie not a 32A ring.

They used to not have shrouded pins, but they do now. 13A plugs did not have
shrouded pins either, but they do now.

Round pin are commonly used where you want to plug a table or floor lamp
into a lighting circuit (eg where the circuit is controlled by a wall
switch).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced?

Intrinsically they are no less safe than a 13A plug when used according to
design.

They do not have fuses (usually), so they need to be installed on a circuit
designed for that - ie not a 32A ring.

you can get fused or unfused versions of 2A/5A/15A, but apparently
you're not allowed to use larger than a 5A fuse in the fused 15A versions.

http://neweysonline.co.uk/junk/1050078116/ProductInformation.raction

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

On Friday 06 December 2013 08:28 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons (i.e.
back when, if something was declared "unsafe", it really feckin' WAS
unsafe!).

Intrinsically they are no less safe than a 13A plug when used according to
design.

They do not have fuses (usually), so they need to be installed on a circuit
designed for that - ie not a 32A ring.

They used to not have shrouded pins, but they do now. 13A plugs did not have
shrouded pins either, but they do now.

Round pin are commonly used where you want to plug a table or floor lamp
into a lighting circuit (eg where the circuit is controlled by a wall
switch).

Wow: what an exemplary answer Tim: thank you very much!

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
wrote:
On Friday 06 December 2013 08:28 Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

In article , Lobster
wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
[...]

and in the theatre where you don't want a fuse in some inaccessible
position above the stage or audience.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 06 December 2013 09:39 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

Another John wrote in uk.d-i-y:

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced?

Intrinsically they are no less safe than a 13A plug when used according
to design.

They do not have fuses (usually), so they need to be installed on a
circuit designed for that - ie not a 32A ring.

you can get fused or unfused versions of 2A/5A/15A,

I knew I'd seen something somewhere about that...

but apparently
you're not allowed to use larger than a 5A fuse in the fused 15A versions.

That does seem to make no sense whatsoever...

http://neweysonline.co.uk/junk/1050078116/ProductInformation.raction

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

Disappointingly no ready made adaptors to enable the simultaneous connection of
an iron and a kettle using BS 546 plugs to a B22 lamp fitting although I suppose
I could roll my own using one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayonet-Adap...s=bulb+adaptor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 6, 2013 8:35:27 AM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

I'm using 5A for lighting, and 2A for 100V line speakers.

I appreciate that not everyone has a 100V line speaker installation in their house.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:06:59 +0000, The Other Mike
wrote:

Much safer, no trip hazard
http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-house-ironing.htm

I've got an adapter like that, my son was using it only two years ago
in his student digs. I should still have it somewhere.

I used to use it 50 years ago to use the enlarger and safelight in the
cupboard under the stairs (which we called "the pantry")

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Much safer, no trip hazard
http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-house-ironing.htm

I've got an adapter like that, my son was using it only two years ago
in his student digs. I should still have it somewhere.

I used to use it 50 years ago to use the enlarger and safelight in the
cupboard under the stairs (which we called "the pantry")

did you really keep the bread there?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 09:30, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 6 December 2013 08:35:27 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting
outlets, and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents'
bungalow remained round-pin until they died.

I think there must be some confusion here. The OP's subject mentioned
'round pin electrics' yet linked to a page of bulb adaptors.

Th "round pin" bit was a bit of a misdirection and I believe only
intended to indicate the availability of "old" style adaptors such as
flex to BC socket etc.

As you say, the round pin plugs linked certainly never went away.
They've been present in the Screwfix catalogue et al for as long as I
can remember. I always use them for lounge lighting to enable
wall-switch control of table/side lamps.

BS 546 : 1950 was also last tweaked in 1988 so they are still covered by
a BS IIUC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 09:24, Another John wrote:

Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

I often fit the small 2A ones for dedicated lighting points - handy when
building a kitchen since you can test and "finish" the fixed wiring
before all the cabinets are in place, and the under cabinet lighting is
mounted.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Much safer, no trip hazard
http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-house-ironing.htm

I'm sure I remember one of those which used to appear when my dad
got the Christmas lights out. It might even have included a
switch for the two outlets.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:
Here's a better link,

http://www.johnlewis.com/3-round-pin...amp/p231577942

And they *are* BS approved - BS546.

jgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Another John wrote:
Here's a better link,

http://www.johnlewis.com/3-round-pin...amp/p231577942

And they *are* BS approved - BS546.

Is anything "BS approved"? more likely built/made to comply with BS546

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen writes:
Amongst all those adapters I found this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GU10-MR16-Li...s=bulb+adaptor

Yes you read that right... a GU10 to MR16 adapter....

Hope there is power conversion circuitry in the adapter itself or
shoving 240V at up to 6A into a MR16 bulb is either likely to pop the
fuse/MCB or destroy the bulb.....

Yes, I saw that and went on to look for a B22d to GY6.35 (what they
called MR16) adapter, having made some myself in the past, but they
didn't have any.

In my case, I was converting a multi-lamp pendent to take 12V halogen
capsules.
http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/adapter.jpg

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 06/12/2013 09:24, Another John wrote:

Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

I often fit the small 2A ones for dedicated lighting points - handy when
building a kitchen since you can test and "finish" the fixed wiring
before all the cabinets are in place, and the under cabinet lighting is
mounted.

I have used those, and clock points for this purpose in the past.

Nowadays, I use the Klik plugs and sockets, usually mounted on
a horizontally orientated architave back box, which are easily
hidden when positioned immediately above or below the cupboards.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 6, 2013 9:24:32 AM UTC, Another John wrote:
Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

They're not common, but you can still buy them. For example:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG929.html

My previous house was fitted with new ones in about 1995. They are no
use for power sockets (not enough current), but they are fine for lights.
We had a bunch of free-standing lights plugged in, and they were all
controlled by a lightswitch by the door. (Yes, you /can/ do this with
13-amp sockets, but it's much easier to distinguish the light sockets
and the power sockets this way.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 6, 2013 8:35:27 AM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Another John wrote:

Lobster wrote:

grunted in

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850

665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically?

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting

Also, 12 or 24 Volt circuits in boats are often done with round pin.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not for 1.39 it won't.

You can get different voltage MR16s, but I don't think there are many about that aren't 12V. I have however seen DC and AC MR16s...

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:29:12 -0000, Stephen wrote:

Amongst all those adapters I found this....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GU10-MR16-Li...s=bulb+adaptor

Yes you read that right... a GU10 to MR16 adapter....

Hope there is power conversion circuitry in the adapter itself or
shoving 240V at up to 6A into a MR16 bulb is either likely to pop the
fuse/MCB or destroy the bulb.....

On 06/12/2013 08:35, Andy Burns wrote:
Another John wrote:

Lobster wrote:

grunted in

Graham. wrote:

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically?

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

--
"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My father (born 1916) told be that at one time there was a different meter for lighting (bayonette and 5 amp sockets) and heating (15 Amp) sockets. They were charged at different prices per kWhr.

Lighting was more expensive per kWhr.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:24:32 -0000, Another John wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

The problem was the lack of fuse. But the shape of the pins? There was no need to change to square.

--
What does a Polish woman do after she sucks a cock?
Spits out the feathers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:28:34 -0000, charles wrote:

In article ],
Another John wrote:
In article , Lobster
wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
[...]

Is that something to do with a postie's route?

--
Drive defensively. Buy a tank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 14:24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 06/12/2013 09:24, Another John wrote:

Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

I often fit the small 2A ones for dedicated lighting points - handy when
building a kitchen since you can test and "finish" the fixed wiring
before all the cabinets are in place, and the under cabinet lighting is
mounted.

I have used those, and clock points for this purpose in the past.

Nowadays, I use the Klik plugs and sockets, usually mounted on
a horizontally orientated architave back box, which are easily
hidden when positioned immediately above or below the cupboards.

I think last time I needed some I had a look for the klik ones and
architrave boxes etc, but could not find anything locally so went with
the round pin. Positioned just above a wall unit you can't see them
anyway I found, so the full size face plate did not matter too much.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:28:40 -0000, Bill wrote:

In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto

Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

How often do you swing from your ceiling?

--
Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:43:33 -0000, RobertL wrote:

My father (born 1916) told be that at one time there was a different meter for lighting (bayonette and 5 amp sockets) and heating (15 Amp) sockets. They were charged at different prices per kWhr.

Lighting was more expensive per kWhr.

Presumably anyone with any sense rewired or got adaptors.

--
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my Uncle Bob. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 6, 2013 9:30:21 AM UTC, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Friday, 6 December 2013 08:35:27 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

I think there must be some confusion here. The OP's subject mentioned 'round pin electrics' yet linked to a page of bulb adaptors.

No it did not, it said round pin era electrics.

NT