Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Round pin era electrics are back

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

NT

Round pins never went away.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:01:00 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

grunted in
:

wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to precisely
118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to precisely
118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

Here's a better link, at John Lewis. I stumbled across this the other
day when looking for something else.

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons (i.e.
back when, if something was declared "unsafe", it really feckin' WAS
unsafe!).

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another John wrote:

Lobster wrote:

grunted in

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically?

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John wrote:

Here's a better link,

[omitted - eedjit, John] Here :
http://www.johnlewis.com/3-round-pin...amp/p231577942

Andy Burns wrote:

No, see above, they never went away. The 2 amp round 3-pin are
sometimes (I hesitate to say often) used for dedicated lighting outlets,
and the larger ones for theatre lighting, my grandparents' bungalow
remained round-pin until they died.

Well I have NEVER seen round pins, anywhere, since the early 80s when
the last ones were disappearing. Except for in our local pub, buried
in the countryside, which has not had a makeover (thank god) since ...
the 60s? 50s?

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ],
Another John wrote:
In article , Lobster
wrote:

grunted in
:

wrote:
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...or&qid=1385850
665&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=pri ce

Round pins never went away.

The items linked to sure did

What are we meant to be looking at, specifically? You linked to
precisely 118 miscellaneous "bulb adapters" on Amazon

Here's a better link, at John Lewis. I stumbled across this the other
day when looking for something else.

**WHY** are round pins being re-introduced? I simply do not understand
it. I thought they were phased out in the 70s for safety reasons (i.e.
back when, if something was declared "unsafe", it really feckin' WAS
unsafe!).

Nothing to do with safety. The Ring Mail circuit which used fused plugs
was introduced because of a copper shortage. Round pins are still used in
the UK in theatres which are very safety concious places.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto

Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.
--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:28:40 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto
Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

yep. Its ok if the live metal's shrouded.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto
Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

yep. Its ok if the live metal's shrouded.

NT

How does the shrouding work then? The threaded aperture certainly looks
big enough to get a finger in, if you fumble while changing a bulb.

At least with the more modern 2 pin fittings they were only connected
when a bulb was inserted.

--
Bill

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 10:09:22 PM UTC, Bill wrote:
In message ,
writes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto
Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

yep. Its ok if the live metal's shrouded.

How does the shrouding work then? The threaded aperture certainly looks
big enough to get a finger in, if you fumble while changing a bulb.
At least with the more modern 2 pin fittings they were only connected
when a bulb was inserted.

Enough shrounding means the metal outer cap on an ES bulb isnt touchable when screwed in. Of course a finger has access to live metal on an empty holder, same as true with most BC holders. Its not BS, understand what youre buying.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:28:40 -0000, Bill wrote:

In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto

Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

How often do you swing from your ceiling?

--
Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 15:48, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 21:28:40 -0000, Bill wrote:

In message ,
writes
I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...qid=1385850665
&rh=n%3A79903031%2Ck%3Abulb+adaptor&sort=price

NT

---
protection is active.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Socket-Conve...dison/dp/B007X
SY1AC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1386278664&sr=1-5&keywords=bulb+adapto

Depending on which way you plug it in the threaded part could be live if
the light was powered on. Somehow it doesn't seem particularly safe.

How often do you swing from your ceiling?

The most likely time to get your finger into a light fitting/connector
is when reaching up and replacing the bulb in the dark. It is exactly
the sort of thing that many people are quite likely to do.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:26:59 -0000, SteveW wrote:

[...]

If you're not confident in it, why not simply switch off the light first? I thought most people did?

--
I never would have married you if I knew how stupid you were!" shouted the woman to her husband.
The husband replied, "You should've known how stupid I was the minute I asked you to marry me!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2013 18:31, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:26:59 -0000, SteveW
The most likely time to get your finger into a light fitting/connector
is when reaching up and replacing the bulb in the dark. It is exactly
the sort of thing that many people are quite likely to do.

If you're not confident in it, why not simply switch off the light
first? I thought most people did?

It's not so easy to be sure if, as the light in my stairwell is, it's
controlled by two switches. There's a 50/50 chance that no matter what
you do, it'll be live. That's assuming that some bright sparky hasn't
accidentally wired the switches in the neutral....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 11:52:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st?...tor&sort=price

Disappointingly no ready made adaptors to enable the simultaneous connection of
an iron and a kettle using BS 546 plugs to a B22 lamp fitting although I suppose
I could roll my own using one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayonet-Adap...s=bulb+adaptor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 10:06:59 +0000, The Other Mike
wrote:

Much safer, no trip hazard
http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-house-ironing.htm

I've got an adapter like that, my son was using it only two years ago
in his student digs. I should still have it somewhere.

I used to use it 50 years ago to use the enlarger and safelight in the
cupboard under the stairs (which we called "the pantry")

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Much safer, no trip hazard
http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-house-ironing.htm

I've got an adapter like that, my son was using it only two years ago
in his student digs. I should still have it somewhere.

I used to use it 50 years ago to use the enlarger and safelight in the
cupboard under the stairs (which we called "the pantry")

did you really keep the bread there?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Much safer, no trip hazard
http://www.1900s.org.uk/1940s-house-ironing.htm

I'm sure I remember one of those which used to appear when my dad
got the Christmas lights out. It might even have included a
switch for the two outlets.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My father (born 1916) told be that at one time there was a different meter for lighting (bayonette and 5 amp sockets) and heating (15 Amp) sockets. They were charged at different prices per kWhr.

Lighting was more expensive per kWhr.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 15:43:33 -0000, RobertL wrote:

My father (born 1916) told be that at one time there was a different meter for lighting (bayonette and 5 amp sockets) and heating (15 Amp) sockets. They were charged at different prices per kWhr.

Lighting was more expensive per kWhr.

Presumably anyone with any sense rewired or got adaptors.

--
I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my Uncle Bob. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RobertL writes:

My father (born 1916) told be that at one time there was a different meter for lighting (bayonette and 5 amp sockets) and heating (15 Amp) sockets. They were charged at different prices per kWhr.

Lighting was more expensive per kWhr.

Early installations were lighting only, and charged by the number
of lights.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 6, 2013 10:06:59 AM UTC, The Other Mike wrote:

Disappointingly no ready made adaptors to enable the simultaneous connection of
an iron and a kettle using BS 546 plugs to a B22 lamp fitting although I suppose

They do actually. Might be a handy way tp use up stocks of 11w CFLs - but where nowadays does one not give a fig about the resulting appearance.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Disappointingly no ready made adaptors to enable the simultaneous connection of
an iron and a kettle using BS 546 plugs to a B22 lamp fitting although I suppose
I could roll my own using one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bayonet-Adap...s=bulb+adaptor

Nah, you need a y-piece E27 and converters at each end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 19:54:52 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo ,
escribió:

I'm happy to say. But no BS approval, you're on your own there

That GU10 to MR16 adapter doesn't look like a brilliant idea, given that
GU10 is 240V and MR16 is 12V.

Perhaps no one will notice until the quarterly sales figures come out.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%