Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone dissasembly - Samsung Galaxy S2

Actualy DIY question -

I'm replacing this component in SWMBO's S2 as it will not charge (except
very occasionally)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boobs/190821532387

I already opened the case to find out the Rev number (it's a v2.3 of 4
possibles) on that sub PCB.

To replace it when the part comes, I have to (according to the youtube vids)
pop various flat ribbon cable connectors off.

Anyone done this and anything to watch out for? Same for replacing the
ribbon connectors?

Vid suggests the pop off with a plectum like tool (I have this).

Looks too easy!! :-o I'm sure there are some wise words worth asking for
first I can see a million things going wrong...

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not tried it but suspect you may find more people have if you post your message in uk.telecom.mobile

Probably easier than changing a cracked phone screen which involves attacking it with a heat gun!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 01 December 2013 18:48 Murmansk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not tried it but suspect you may find more people have if you post your
message in uk.telecom.mobile

Probably easier than changing a cracked phone screen which involves
attacking it with a heat gun!

Really... Funny you should say that - I bought a spare glass (for my S2) as
it was as cheap a way to get a set of the tools as any!

I was thinking about replacing my screen as it has a dirty big scratch but
you just put me off :-|

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 01 December 2013 18:48 Murmansk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not tried it but suspect you may find more people have if you post your
message in uk.telecom.mobile

Probably easier than changing a cracked phone screen which involves
attacking it with a heat gun!

Really... Funny you should say that - I bought a spare glass (for my S2) as
it was as cheap a way to get a set of the tools as any!

I was thinking about replacing my screen as it has a dirty big scratch but
you just put me off :-|

Digitisers (touch screen bit) that are bonded at the edges are easy to
replace (say iPhone 3G, Galaxy ACE for two.) Ones that are fully bonded
to the screen below (usually OLED screens) are almost impossible (Galaxy
S4, dunno what the S2 is.) The OLED screens are phenominally fragile;
you can break them and not see any damage. How they ever survive day to
day use is beyond me.

For these fully bonded ones just replace the whole display - ebay is
full of desperately competetive people selling digistiser + LCD already
stuck together. For new phones they're pricey but as time goes by the
pricing drops.

Back to the original question. The little ribbon cables (which are
pretty robust) that terminate in the little square connectors will just
ping off with a fingernail. The ones that slide into the little
receptacles with the fold down grabber are the harder to do but only by
dint of getting in there and being able to see. The force required to
open/close the grabber is tiny.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 01 December 2013 19:55 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Intersting...

Back to the original question. The little ribbon cables (which are
pretty robust) that terminate in the little square connectors will just
ping off with a fingernail. The ones that slide into the little
receptacles with the fold down grabber are the harder to do but only by
dint of getting in there and being able to see. The force required to
open/close the grabber is tiny.

OK - ta for that. When the bit comes I will have a go. Phone is nearly
useless now (I have to keep swapping batteries with mine to give SWMBO a
charged one). But for a £7 part, I'm willing to have a go

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Tim Watts wrote :
Actualy DIY question -

I'm replacing this component in SWMBO's S2 as it will not charge (except
very occasionally)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boobs/190821532387

I already opened the case to find out the Rev number (it's a v2.3 of 4
possibles) on that sub PCB.

To replace it when the part comes, I have to (according to the youtube vids)
pop various flat ribbon cable connectors off.

Anyone done this and anything to watch out for? Same for replacing the
ribbon connectors?

Vid suggests the pop off with a plectum like tool (I have this).

Looks too easy!! :-o I'm sure there are some wise words worth asking for
first I can see a million things going wrong...

The usual style for thin small rinbbons, is a socket with a a plastic
part which pushes down to wards the PCB. The plastic part applies
pressure to both clamp it and put pressure agaist the ribbon, so as to
make contact.

So to release them, you hook a finger nail under the plastic clamp and
tug it away from the PCB, the ribbon should then be copletely free.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2013 18:41, Tim Watts wrote:
Actualy DIY question -

I'm replacing this component in SWMBO's S2 as it will not charge (except
very occasionally)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boobs/190821532387

I already opened the case to find out the Rev number (it's a v2.3 of 4
possibles) on that sub PCB.

To replace it when the part comes, I have to (according to the youtube vids)
pop various flat ribbon cable connectors off.

Anyone done this and anything to watch out for? Same for replacing the
ribbon connectors?

Vid suggests the pop off with a plectum like tool (I have this).

Looks too easy!! :-o I'm sure there are some wise words worth asking for
first I can see a million things going wrong...

Have you seen:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2013 18:41, Tim Watts wrote:
Actualy DIY question -

I'm replacing this component in SWMBO's S2 as it will not charge (except
very occasionally)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boobs/190821532387

I already opened the case to find out the Rev number (it's a v2.3 of 4
possibles) on that sub PCB.

To replace it when the part comes, I have to (according to the youtube vids)
pop various flat ribbon cable connectors off.

Anyone done this and anything to watch out for? Same for replacing the
ribbon connectors?

Vid suggests the pop off with a plectum like tool (I have this).

Looks too easy!! :-o I'm sure there are some wise words worth asking for
first I can see a million things going wrong...

Cheers

Tim

I took mine to the local Samsung repair agent. Fixed in a couple of
hours. Twice.

Think that one micro-USB leads I used has a slightly out-of-spec plug
which damages the socket. Suggest you look carefully at all leads that
have been used and try to identify if any looks not 100%.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 01 December 2013 22:35 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Have you seen:

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II

Ooh - that has some very nice photos - thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

OK - ta for that. When the bit comes I will have a go. Phone is nearly
useless now (I have to keep swapping batteries with mine to give SWMBO a
charged one). But for a £7 part, I'm willing to have a go

OOI, what's the problem part? I've a friend with an S2 that I've just
found a new battery for as she reckons it's not as good as new. If
there's something draining current I'd be interested.... (I question the
use of the word "interested" as it probably just means more work for me!)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

OK - ta for that. When the bit comes I will have a go. Phone is nearly
useless now (I have to keep swapping batteries with mine to give SWMBO
a charged one). But for a £7 part, I'm willing to have a go

OOI, what's the problem part? I've a friend with an S2 that I've just
found a new battery for as she reckons it's not as good as new. If
there's something draining current I'd be interested.... (I question the
use of the word "interested" as it probably just means more work for me!)

Of course, if I'd followed the link in the first message, I'd have the
answer. As you were, Captain Watts.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday 02 December 2013 09:12 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:

OK - ta for that. When the bit comes I will have a go. Phone is nearly
useless now (I have to keep swapping batteries with mine to give SWMBO a
charged one). But for a £7 part, I'm willing to have a go

OOI, what's the problem part? I've a friend with an S2 that I've just
found a new battery for as she reckons it's not as good as new. If
there's something draining current I'd be interested.... (I question the
use of the word "interested" as it probably just means more work for me!)

It's almost certainly the USB port - it basically does not charge, except
sometimes after much plug wiggling.

Known problem and the USB port is on a daughterboard which is cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

OK - ta for that. When the bit comes I will have a go. Phone is nearly
useless now (I have to keep swapping batteries with mine to give SWMBO
a charged one). But for a £7 part, I'm willing to have a go

OOI, what's the problem part? I've a friend with an S2 that I've just
found a new battery for as she reckons it's not as good as new. If
there's something draining current I'd be interested.... (I question
the use of the word "interested" as it probably just means more work
for me!)

It's almost certainly the USB port - it basically does not charge,
except sometimes after much plug wiggling.

Known problem and the USB port is on a daughterboard which is cheap.

Wonder if that's what's wrong with son's Galaxy Ace Plus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:26:38 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Known problem and the USB port is on a daughterboard which is cheap.

Wonder if that's what's wrong with son's Galaxy Ace Plus.

Dunno about the Plus but the USB socket on the original Galaxy Ace is
part of the main PCB.

I have a Gal Ace (which prior belonged to a teenager) which stopped
charging for a while and eventually righted itself. At the time I
couldn't see any muck in the socket but, having since had it apart, I
reckon it was down to light dampness at some point.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:00:24 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:26:38 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Known problem and the USB port is on a daughterboard which is cheap.

Wonder if that's what's wrong with son's Galaxy Ace Plus.

Dunno about the Plus but the USB socket on the original Galaxy Ace is
part of the main PCB.

I have a Gal Ace (which prior belonged to a teenager) which stopped
charging for a while and eventually righted itself. At the time I
couldn't see any muck in the socket but, having since had it apart, I
reckon it was down to light dampness at some point.

Useful tp know; thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 01 December 2013 18:41 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Actualy DIY question -

I'm replacing this component in SWMBO's S2 as it will not charge (except
very occasionally)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/boobs/190821532387

I already opened the case to find out the Rev number (it's a v2.3 of 4
possibles) on that sub PCB.

To replace it when the part comes, I have to (according to the youtube
vids) pop various flat ribbon cable connectors off.

Anyone done this and anything to watch out for? Same for replacing the
ribbon connectors?

Vid suggests the pop off with a plectum like tool (I have this).

And they do - surprisingly easily!

Well - job done. New USB board in and everything works!

The worst bit is getting the motherboard out - 5 ribbon connectors and an
antenna plug (which is 0.5mm dia - who MAKES this stuff?). The power and
volume "switches" (really something on a flexible bit of stuff) are double
sided taped on and have to be peeled off and are fiddly.

Cannot believe it - back together and so far, it seems that everything
works!

Seems to have cured the problem too - chargings nicely