Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Odd phone calls to mobile phone

This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown" and the
odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and rings for a full
minute before stopping. It never calls at the same time of the day but never
rings at night. It's always silent if I answer the phone.

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the SIM
and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and one other
person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 19:15:57 +0100, ARW wrote:

This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown" and
the odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and rings for a
full minute before stopping. It never calls at the same time of the day
but never rings at night. It's always silent if I answer the phone.

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the
SIM and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and
one other person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

Misconfigured autodialler somewhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2013 19:15, ARW wrote:
This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown" and the
odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and rings for a full
minute before stopping. It never calls at the same time of the day but never
rings at night. It's always silent if I answer the phone.

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the SIM
and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and one other
person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

Her husband, checking on the new number she has entered on her contacts
list?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Nightjar wrote:
On 04/09/2013 19:15, ARW wrote:
This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown"
and the odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and
rings for a full minute before stopping. It never calls at the same
time of the day but never rings at night. It's always silent if I
answer the phone. Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of
activating
the SIM and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than
me and one other person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

Her husband, checking on the new number she has entered on her
contacts list?

And he can bypass the mobiles answer machine?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the SIM
and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and one other

person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

That doesn't mean the number wasn't previously someone-else's though,
perhaps on a PAYG contract that fell into disuse.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 04/09/2013 19:15, ARW wrote:
This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown" and
the
odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and rings for a full
minute before stopping. It never calls at the same time of the day but
never
rings at night. It's always silent if I answer the phone.

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the
SIM
and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and one
other
person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

Her husband, checking on the new number she has entered on her contacts
list?

lol, surely she'd have put it down as a woman's name and the word "work" in
brackets? I knew a guy who used to do that, his missus would phone every new
male or female contact but she wouldn't mess with his (work) contacts in
case she got him into trouble with his boss, dozy cow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:15:57 PM UTC+1, wrote:
This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown" and the

odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and rings for a full

minute before stopping. It never calls at the same time of the day but never

rings at night. It's always silent if I answer the phone.

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the SIM

and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and one other

person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

--

Adam

the only thing that seems able to defeat my moby's answer phone is the answer phone itself ringing me to deliver a received message....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:12:07 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"Sam Plusnet" wrote in message
.. .

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 19:40:27 +0100, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the
SIM and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and
one other person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

That doesn't mean the number wasn't previously someone-else's though,
perhaps on a PAYG contract that fell into disuse.

^ this. 100%.

Try ringing it & see who answers?

Difficult to ring 'unknown' but if you know a way I'd dearly like to hear it

AWEM

Ok I'll bite.

I'm not sure what "unknown" means in the context of CLID, but
"withheld" AKA "private" are not really anonymous, they are simply
flagged for the terminating telco not to release the number to the
called party.

So what you need is a terminating telco that does not honour the
withheld flag. In practical terms this means VoIP. For example
numbergroup.com lets you ignore the flag and pass the withheld number

Here's a screenshot
http://i.imgur.com/Z1QUcls.jpg

Remember, it still works if the call is forwarded, your anonymous
caller does not have to dial your new VoIP number.

There are no doubt some legal obligation on you if you choose to
enable this feature.

Oh and one more warning, Numbergroup allows you to sign up and try
their services on a trial basis for an unspecified time, but they will
try to invoice you for services used. They are not like Sipgate and
others that allow you to freeload if you don't actually make calls.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:29:12 -0700 (PDT), Jim K
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:15:57 PM UTC+1, wrote:
This is a secret mobile number on a PAYG SIM card.

Now this new mobile gets a phonecall once a day. CLID says "unknown" and the

odd thing is that it never activates the answerphone and rings for a full

minute before stopping. It never calls at the same time of the day but never

rings at night. It's always silent if I answer the phone.

Any ideas? I got the first phonecall within 12 hours of activating the SIM

and no-one had the telephone number at the time other than me and one other

person (I doubt she has anything to do with it)

--

Adam

the only thing that seems able to defeat my moby's answer phone is the answer phone itself ringing me to deliver a received message....

Jim K

FWIW that's what I was thinking too. Adam doesn't say which network he
is on.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:
[...]

On EE. And the other odd thing is that the call is not registered in the
call log.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah well that's easy - ghosts (or her mother:-D)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 04/09/2013 19:15, ARW wrote:
[...]

When you say used does he no longer do it? Sounds like a control freak or
insecure to me.

--
Adam