Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone dissasembly - Samsung Galaxy S2

On Sunday 01 December 2013 19:55 Scott M wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Tim Watts wrote:
On Sunday 01 December 2013 18:48 Murmansk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not tried it but suspect you may find more people have if you post your
message in uk.telecom.mobile

Probably easier than changing a cracked phone screen which involves
attacking it with a heat gun!

Really... Funny you should say that - I bought a spare glass (for my S2)
as it was as cheap a way to get a set of the tools as any!

I was thinking about replacing my screen as it has a dirty big scratch
but you just put me off :-|

Digitisers (touch screen bit) that are bonded at the edges are easy to
replace (say iPhone 3G, Galaxy ACE for two.) Ones that are fully bonded
to the screen below (usually OLED screens) are almost impossible (Galaxy
S4, dunno what the S2 is.) The OLED screens are phenominally fragile;
you can break them and not see any damage. How they ever survive day to
day use is beyond me.

For these fully bonded ones just replace the whole display - ebay is
full of desperately competetive people selling digistiser + LCD already
stuck together. For new phones they're pricey but as time goes by the
pricing drops.

Intersting...

Back to the original question. The little ribbon cables (which are
pretty robust) that terminate in the little square connectors will just
ping off with a fingernail. The ones that slide into the little
receptacles with the fold down grabber are the harder to do but only by
dint of getting in there and being able to see. The force required to
open/close the grabber is tiny.

OK - ta for that. When the bit comes I will have a go. Phone is nearly
useless now (I have to keep swapping batteries with mine to give SWMBO a
charged one). But for a £7 part, I'm willing to have a go

Cheers

Tim