Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default screwing plasterboard with zinc plated screws

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws? I plan to have the board skimmed.

thanks

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2013 15:15, RobertL wrote:

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws? I plan to have the board skimmed.

thanks

Robert

I *think* they should be OK. The special screws have a slimmer shank and
a "bugle head" which gives slightly better "grip" on the facing card.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 November 2013 15:22:24 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 25/11/2013 15:15, RobertL wrote:

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws?
I plan to have the board skimmed.

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

I *think* they should be OK. The special screws have a slimmer shank and

a "bugle head" which gives slightly better "grip" on the facing card.

Extra hard and brittle too to make a good job of splinters and to snap on black knots. Do they still make black knots these days?
Or don't they grow the trees that long any more?

Plasterboard nails are zinc coated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:30:39 PM UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Monday, 25 November 2013 15:22:24 UTC, newshound wrote:

On 25/11/2013 15:15, RobertL wrote:

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws?

I plan to have the board skimmed.

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

I *think* they should be OK. The special screws have a slimmer shank and

a "bugle head" which gives slightly better "grip" on the facing card.

Extra hard and brittle too to make a good job of splinters and to snap on black knots. Do they still make black knots these days?

Or don't they grow the trees that long any more?

Plasterboard nails are zinc coated.

As long as they're not plain steel which will rust if over painted with emulsion or any water based paint
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:40:19 PM UTC, fred wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder now if they might actually be plain steel not plated :-(

Perhaps I should replace them all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2013 16:11, RobertL wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:40:19 PM UTC, fred wrote:

Plasterboard nails are zinc coated.

Normally hot-dip galvanized, which is thicker and more durable than plating.

As long as they're not plain steel which will rust if over painted with emulsion or any water based paint

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder now if they might actually be plain steel not plated :-(

Perhaps I should replace them all.

Sounds like a lot of work; AFAIK all the modern pozi headed screws are
plated. Just take *one* out and put it in (say) an egg-cup full of water
so that it is half in and half out, and wait a couple of days. Mild
steel should show signs of rust by then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Sounds like a lot of work; AFAIK all the modern pozi headed screws are
plated. Just take *one* out and put it in (say) an egg-cup full of water
so that it is half in and half out, and wait a couple of days. Mild
steel should show signs of rust by then.

Untreated mild steel would show rust a damn site quicker than that!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 08:11:36 -0800 (PST), RobertL wrote:

Hmm, I'm beginning to wonder now if they might actually be plain steel
not plated :-(

Plated will normally be silvery in colour probably nice and shiny if
Bright Zinc Plated (BZP on the box). Hot dip galvanized will be a
matt light silvery grey but I never come across hot dip galvanized
screws only nails. Passivated is a yellowy colour. Plain mild steel
are a darker matt grey, they maybe lightly oiled to stop 'em rusting
in the box but so lightly that you'd not notice.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred grunted in
:

On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:30:39 PM UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Monday, 25 November 2013 15:22:24 UTC, newshound wrote:

On 25/11/2013 15:15, RobertL wrote:

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws?

I plan to have the board skimmed.

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using
ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black
'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

As long as they're not plain steel which will rust if over painted
with emulsion or any water based paint

Screws or nails; either way they are usually skimmed over before painting -
I'd assumed it was the wet plaster which was the risky element, ie so you
might get a brown stained circle on the ceiling over the steel screw head
if the plaster layer was thin enough, and which in turn would get through a
layer of emulsion?

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RobertL wrote:
I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc
plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws
with some fancy coating.

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws? I plan to have the
board skimmed.

Clout head nails for plasterboard fixing are zinc coated. But a rather
thicker coat than on a screw.

--
*42.7% of statistics are made up. Sorry, that should read 47.2% *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.