Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default screwing plasterboard with zinc plated screws

On Monday, November 25, 2013 3:30:39 PM UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Monday, 25 November 2013 15:22:24 UTC, newshound wrote:

On 25/11/2013 15:15, RobertL wrote:

Is there anything wrong with zinc plate screws?

I plan to have the board skimmed.

I just fixed up a load of plasterboard (onto studs) using ordinary zinc plated screws. Now I see there are special black 'plasterboard' screws with some fancy coating.

I *think* they should be OK. The special screws have a slimmer shank and

a "bugle head" which gives slightly better "grip" on the facing card.

Extra hard and brittle too to make a good job of splinters and to snap on black knots. Do they still make black knots these days?

Or don't they grow the trees that long any more?

Plasterboard nails are zinc coated.

As long as they're not plain steel which will rust if over painted with emulsion or any water based paint