Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 35mm flush pipe into 40mm cistern

Hello, I'd be very grateful for advice on the following problem, which I have to fix before the girlfriend's mother comes to stay on Friday...

I'm finishing off the downstairs bathroom, and have a 35mm chrome flush pipe going into a Dudley Phantom cistern designed for a 40mm flush pipe (the cistern will be concealed but the pipe will not). Don't ask why

I replaced the white plastic union nut with an identical one with a bigger shoulder, tighter on the pipe. Hard washer inside that, conical rubber washer at the top. The rubber washer isn't a very tight fit so I put silicone in there as well. Left it a day before turning the water on. It leaked.

So I took it apart and dried it out, filled the union nut with silicone, reassembled and left for a day. Last night it seemed fine; this morning just a smear of water, so still leaking. Took it apart again. had to go to work but will have another go tonight.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion to filling the union nut with silicone and hoping it works this time?

Many thanks
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2013 08:40, geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

I don't really expect any bodge to fit 35mm tube in a hole designed for
40mm to be successful long term.

You can get chromed copper tube in 42mm, so could you use that instead
of the 35mm? If that is not practical, do you have room to fit the
proper size of pipe to the cistern and an adaptor to 35mm?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:43:13 AM UTC, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Thanks. An adaptor might be the way to go. Trouble is the 35mm pipe won't fit into a 40-32mm push fit reducer (I tried).

Changing the pipe isn't an option as I have a tight deadline for this and no way to get to a supplier, or time to order online.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2013 12:30, geraldthehamster wrote:
Thanks. An adaptor might be the way to go. Trouble is the 35mm pipe won't fit into a 40-32mm push fit reducer (I tried)....

If, as I suspect, the chrome tube is plated copper, it won't fit into
fittings designed for plastic pipe. You probably need a BSP threaded
tank connector to fit into the hole - 1.5" BSP (48mm OD) or 1.25" BSP
(42mm OD) would be my guess. Then you can get a BSP to copper
compression fitting. That might be available as a chrome plated item, if
necessary. Don't forget to clean the chrome plating off the end of the
tube before putting on compression fitting olive. Heating it and dipping
it into hydrochloric acid is a very effective and controllable way to
take chrome off copper, although not something everybody might want to do.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to geraldthehamster, James of Abingdon wrote:
What happened next? There seems to be a general problem where companies, such
as Ultra Finishing, supply 35mm chrome flush pipes that have to mate to 40mmID
cisterns and WC pans. I am unable to find any plumb supply centre that can
provide adapters, or fittings for the 35mm pipe

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rn-935233-.htm