Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cistern flush pipe connections

Just discovered that the flush pipe on a concealed cistern is leaking.
Fortunately no serious damage has occurred. This is a system installed
40 years ago and has not been touched meantime.
The leak is at the flush pipe to cistern join. The flush pipe enters at
an angle. I propose to replace the flush pipe with an L shaped one
which will align the join.
However I don't know how the connections at each end are constructed.
Can someone explain? The cistern end has a plastic nut but I cannot see
how that is sealed and cannot locate a replacement part in any of the
plumbing catalogues - well screwfix & toolstation actually. Flush pipes
seem to be 1 1/2" diam. How is this join sealed?
The WC end seems to use some form of "gooey tape". What is this and how
is it used.

Your collective advice is much appreciated.
Frank

PS My earlier "urinal flush mechanism" problems [nothing to do with an
aging prostate!] are well on the way to being solved thanks to your
replies. I just have to remove a stubborn 22mm olive on the existing
pipework!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Stacey" wrote in message
[...]

The cistern end of the flush pipe will have a rubber "O" ring on it to seal.
on the other end, you need a plastic connecter that goes into the back of
the pan boss.
fit this onto the flush pipe then press into the boss at the back of the
toilet boss.
or there are rubber ones that go over the boss at the back of the pan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Stacey wrote:
Just discovered that the flush pipe on a concealed cistern is leaking.
Fortunately no serious damage has occurred. This is a system installed
40 years ago and has not been touched meantime.
The leak is at the flush pipe to cistern join. The flush pipe enters
at an angle. I propose to replace the flush pipe with an L shaped one
which will align the join.
However I don't know how the connections at each end are constructed.
Can someone explain? The cistern end has a plastic nut but I cannot
see how that is sealed and cannot locate a replacement part in any of
the plumbing catalogues - well screwfix & toolstation actually. Flush
pipes seem to be 1 1/2" diam. How is this join sealed?

You can buy a complete kit from a decent plumbers merchant.
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/121.asp scroll down about 3/4 of the page to
'Flushpipe' and below it 'Flushpipe to Pan Connectors'

The top end uses a tapered rubber seal & compression nut just like a
compression join or elbow.

The WC end seems to use some form of "gooey tape". What is this and
how is it used.

The botom uses a push in 'Flushpipe to Pan Connector' - the finned one sems
to be more common IME.

Things may have changed in 40 years :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Connections behind flush fitting ceiling/wall lights neverwas UK diy 6 July 6th 08 10:28 AM
Removing the top of modern dual flush cistern dmc UK diy 2 November 17th 07 09:11 PM
Low Level Cistern - Connect Overflow to Flush Pipe TheScullster UK diy 13 March 7th 07 04:41 PM
Dual flush Cistern Eadwald UK diy 4 October 26th 05 12:56 PM
WC flush without cistern g8kmh UK diy 0 May 24th 05 02:21 PM