DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Speed awareness courses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363633-ot-speed-awareness-courses.html)

dennis@home November 3rd 13 09:29 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 19:10, John Williamson wrote:

My satnav marks sites where they have been known to lurk in the past.
That doesn't mean that there's one there now *or* that it hasn't found a
new site just round the next bend. I got so many false positives, I've
disabled the option. I also got many, many failures to warn me...

Tomtoms let you mark them and share with others.
I just keep marking them even if there isn't one.
I just want to get people off the road so there are less delays for me.

dennis@home November 3rd 13 09:40 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 18:48, John Williamson wrote:
charles wrote:
Here, it's the countryside - narrow lanes, etc, - that have the lower
limits

If you take all the single carriageway roads in the country, over 50% of
the mileage has a 60mph limit. The maximum *safe* speed on them, on the
other hand....

The maximum safe speed is the speed limit (or less) as other road users
won't be expecting some idiot doing twice the limit and may well do
something that it is normally safe to do.
People that claim the safe speed is higher than the speed limit assume
they are the only road user and have X-ray vision so they can see
through objects.

Adrian November 3rd 13 09:49 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:40:51 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The maximum safe speed is the speed limit (or less)

So if 60mph was "safe" on a particular stretch of road yesterday, 31mph
will be "unsafe" today, even if the only difference is the removal of
some binbags?

as other road users won't be expecting some idiot doing twice the limit
and may well do something that it is normally safe to do.

Perhaps the most basic tenet of defensive driving is to expect the
unexpected, and to prepare for ****s doing barking mad things.

Apellation Controlee November 3rd 13 10:09 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:21:35 -0000, "Gefreiter Krueger"
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:04:26 -0000, Apellation Controlee wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:48:01 -0000, "Gefreiter Krueger"
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 20:43:09 -0000, Apellation Controlee wrote:

----------------8
Apparently. Some years ago I found that a warrant had been issued for
my arrest because I had failed to answer a summons for a traffic
matter.
We had moved house soon after the incident in question occurred but,
although my driving licence and the vehicle reg doc had been updated,
the police were unable to find me when they sprang into action six
months after the event.
The mail redirection arrangement had expired, so communications from
the police went unanswered.

I guess I can understand that. They probably just looked at the address on file for you when you were originally summoned.

Doesn't quite square with being unable to find me, which was what was
claimed.

Ah well yes. Perhaps they should have checked more thoroughly at that point. Although why would they think you'd moved?

Not such an uncommon eventuality, I would have thought.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 11:04 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

[...]

You're trying to attribute common sense to police officers. Why?

--
An Englishman was feeling a little queezy on his first sailing, and leaned over the edge of the boat. He saw a Frenchman below opening his porthole so, feeling the urge to bring up his dinner, he yelled "LOOK OUT!"
The Frenchman stuck his head out of the porthole and was decorated with semi-digested food. "YOU SILLY ENGLISHMAN!!!!" he yelled, "Why do you say look out when you mean look in?"

Clive George November 3rd 13 11:42 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 16:56, Graham. wrote:
On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 18:00:57 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:41:46 +0000, ARW wrote:

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I
know several people who have attended the course. One of them came back
with the statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit
end of". Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is
60MPH!

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down.

No, the dumbing-down was probably only the attendees themselves,
remembering selectively.

That's true. We had a discussion about the trend of road deaths since
the mid '60 to reduce year on year from 6,000 to 2,000

It was surprising how much some of the group did not know, for example
it was commonly believed that your exit had to be clear before
entering a box junction when turning right.

Scary how much people didn't know. There's a lot of people out there who
really pay no thought at all to how they drive.

bm[_2_] November 3rd 13 11:52 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 21:49, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:40:51 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The maximum safe speed is the speed limit (or less)

So if 60mph was "safe" on a particular stretch of road yesterday, 31mph
will be "unsafe" today, even if the only difference is the removal of
some binbags?

as other road users won't be expecting some idiot doing twice the limit
and may well do something that it is normally safe to do.

Perhaps the most basic tenet of defensive driving is to expect the
unexpected, and to prepare for ****s doing barking mad things.

That's exactly how I drive. Treat every other road user as a complete
tosser (alias lootenant) and you won't go far wrong.

Graham.[_7_] November 4th 13 07:16 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

****.

Chris J Dixon November 4th 13 07:26 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

Tim+ wrote:

To be fair, it's a very poorly worded section of the HC and it's little
wonder people are unsure about it.

"You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However,
you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only
stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to
turn right."

I think most people "play safe" by assuming the the first sentence applies
to all situations.

I know the rule, but even then, it strikes me that it is possible
to get caught if traffic in the road to your right builds up
unexpectedly after you have moved forward onto the box.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Chris J Dixon November 4th 13 07:34 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

charles wrote:

Sometimes you have to read the label, too. there's a mile stretch of dual
carriageway near here which has 50mph signs posted.

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound
http://goo.gl/maps/AAKev

NSL westbound
http://goo.gl/maps/c9QbE

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Apellation Controlee November 4th 13 08:06 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:34:39 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

charles wrote:

Sometimes you have to read the label, too. there's a mile stretch of dual
carriageway near here which has 50mph signs posted.

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound
http://goo.gl/maps/AAKev

NSL westbound
http://goo.gl/maps/c9QbE

That's unusual. I know stretches where the limit reduces to 30mph for
several hundred yards approaching a roundabout (not such a bad idea in
some circumstances) and, as a result, the opposite carriageway,
carrying traffic in the other direction, away from the roundabout, is
also restricted to 30mph (pointless, frustrating and inviting
infringement).

The Medway Handyman November 4th 13 08:33 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

charles wrote:
Here, it's the countryside - narrow lanes, etc, - that have the lower
limits

If you take all the single carriageway roads in the country, over 50% of
the mileage has a 60mph limit. The maximum *safe* speed on them, on the
other hand....

The maximum safe speed is the speed limit (or less) as other road users
won't be expecting some idiot doing twice the limit and may well do
something that it is normally safe to do.

30mph was deemed safe 80 years ago. Is it still the perfect speed limit?

The 70mph limit was brought in to save fuel, not to increase safety.

People that claim the safe speed is higher than the speed limit assume
they are the only road user and have X-ray vision so they can see
through objects.

So there is no difference between driving on an empty road at 5am and
driving on the same road at 4pm?

dennis@home November 4th 13 08:49 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 23:52, bm wrote:
On 03/11/2013 21:49, Adrian wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:40:51 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

The maximum safe speed is the speed limit (or less)

So if 60mph was "safe" on a particular stretch of road yesterday, 31mph
will be "unsafe" today, even if the only difference is the removal of
some binbags?

as other road users won't be expecting some idiot doing twice the limit
and may well do something that it is normally safe to do.

Perhaps the most basic tenet of defensive driving is to expect the
unexpected, and to prepare for ****s doing barking mad things.

That's exactly how I drive. Treat every other road user as a complete
tosser (alias lootenant) and you won't go far wrong.

Its a real pain having to drive more slowly because of the ******* tail
gating you. You shouldn't need to allow for their stopping distance as
well as your own.

dennis@home November 4th 13 08:53 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 04/11/2013 07:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:
charles wrote:

Sometimes you have to read the label, too. there's a mile stretch of dual
carriageway near here which has 50mph signs posted.

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound
http://goo.gl/maps/AAKev

NSL westbound
http://goo.gl/maps/c9QbE

Chris

Something to do with the little slip road joining it?

dennis@home November 4th 13 08:58 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

So there is no difference between driving on an empty road at 5am and
driving on the same road at 4pm?

Its dark at 5 am and dipped lights restrict your visibility rather a lot.
People are asleep and don't want to be kept awake by idiots speeding
past making a lot of noise.
The drivers are tired and not as attentive.
Its easier for the cops to see you speeding.

All obvious things.

Gefreiter Krueger November 4th 13 09:11 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 23:35:20 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article om,
"dennis@home" wrote:

On 03/11/2013 18:35, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 18:25:55 -0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 03/11/2013 09:30, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

The law is nothing about safety though.

There are many reasons for a speed limit and safety may be one of them.
Just because you think it shouldn't be that speed limit doesn't mean
there are no good reasons for it to be there.

Safety is the only sensible reason. And I know what speed's safe
without being told thankyou very much.

Am I having to tell you to **** off again, Loo Tenant? I think I am.

Learn to quote properly.

--
Anybody who claims that marriage is a fifty-fifty proposition doesn't know a damned thing about women or fractions.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] November 4th 13 11:22 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 09:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has ever
been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with
more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

"10% + a couple" is a safe rule of thumb so I was told many years ago.
:)

Gefreiter Krueger November 4th 13 11:29 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:22:49 -0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has ever
been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with
more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

"10% + a couple" is a safe rule of thumb so I was told many years ago.
:)

So was I, but I think that's too complicated for police. They usually go by "+10".

--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."

John Williamson November 4th 13 11:37 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:41, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

You must have some right *******s around there. Nobody here has ever
been done for less than 10 over the limit. And I've often got away with
more than that - once it was 95 in a 70!

"10% + a couple" is a safe rule of thumb so I was told many years ago.
:)

So was I, but I think that's too complicated for police. They usually
go by "+10".

Unless you're in North Wales, where the rule is allegedly "+1".

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Chris J Dixon November 4th 13 11:40 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

dennis@home wrote:

On 04/11/2013 07:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound
http://goo.gl/maps/AAKev

NSL westbound
http://goo.gl/maps/c9QbE

Something to do with the little slip road joining it?

I don't really think so. Westbound runs free, with no
roundabouts. Eastbound has not far to MI J24, and there are also
a couple of unidirectional barrier gaps.

The authorities got caught out there a few years ago during
roadworks. They signed a 40 temporary limit, and at the end of
the works displayed NSL, until I sent them an email.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Apellation Controlee November 4th 13 11:41 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

charles wrote:

Sometimes you have to read the label, too. there's a mile stretch of dual
carriageway near here which has 50mph signs posted.

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound
http://goo.gl/maps/AAKev

NSL westbound
http://goo.gl/maps/c9QbE

That's unusual. I know stretches where the limit reduces to 30mph for
several hundred yards approaching a roundabout (not such a bad idea in
some circumstances) and, as a result, the opposite carriageway,
carrying traffic in the other direction, away from the roundabout, is
also restricted to 30mph (pointless, frustrating and inviting
infringement).

Not the A470 from the A55 to Llandudno, by any chance. That has a whole
series of ludicrous 30 restrictions at each of the roundabouts.

The particular case I have in mind is the A34 from Wilmslow towards
Manchester. This is the stretch where many Manchester United
footballers dream up excuses about being pursued by paps.

Gefreiter Krueger November 4th 13 11:47 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

I thought that was only one county. And haven't they got rid of that **** yet?

--
Why are there more white people killed in avalanches than blacks?
The blacks are easier to find in the snow.

Road_Hog[_4_] November 4th 13 11:54 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:21:19 PM UTC, John Williamson wrote:
doing the speed he claims (Speed limit +10% + 2mph) and he's not been

caught before, most police forces have a policy of offering a speed

awareness course instead of a fine and penalty points. The cost is about

the same, but it doesn't give you a criminal record,

You don't get a criminal record for a fixed penalty notice, so either way,he wouldn't have got a criminal record.

Weatherlawyer November 4th 13 12:21 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Saturday, 2 November 2013 11:38:20 UTC, tony sayer wrote:

They advised my missus, 35 in a 30 zone, to drive around in Third gear
all the time;!..

It works nicely for me. I seem to be able to keep to 30 mph exactly without constantly watching the clock. Besides which, modern cars are designed to prefer that gear at that speed; presumably they always were.

Why did she need to be told?
Is it something to do with being female?

Rick Hughes[_5_] November 4th 13 12:26 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Have mine on 14th Nov :-(

Graham.[_7_] November 4th 13 02:01 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

That's one thing we can agree on then.

Graham.[_7_] November 4th 13 02:03 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

That's one thing we can agree on then.

Graham.[_7_] November 4th 13 02:03 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

That's one thing we can agree on then.

Fredxx[_3_] November 4th 13 02:31 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 04/11/2013 08:58, dennis@home wrote:

So there is no difference between driving on an empty road at 5am and
driving on the same road at 4pm?

Its dark at 5 am and dipped lights restrict your visibility rather a lot.
People are asleep and don't want to be kept awake by idiots speeding
past making a lot of noise.
The drivers are tired and not as attentive.
Its easier for the cops to see you speeding.

All obvious things.

I can assure you 5am in the early summer months is after sunrise. You
obviously sleep in a lot.

The rest of the argument is just as weak or plain nonsense.

Richard[_10_] November 4th 13 06:50 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:08:44 -0000, wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
there're there to stop you annoying the neighbours
I've not seen a sign telling me to switch off my 6 kW stereo.

What did you think the dog **** through your letterbox did mean, then?

Those who don't know me don't know where I live. Those who do, know that
would simply escalate into something far worse.

Oh dear. Mr Hard Man hey?

Gefreiter Krueger November 4th 13 06:57 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
there're there to stop you annoying the neighbours
I've not seen a sign telling me to switch off my 6 kW stereo.

What did you think the dog **** through your letterbox did mean, then?

Those who don't know me don't know where I live. Those who do, know that
would simply escalate into something far worse.

Oh dear. Mr Hard Man hey?

Who said anything about physical violence? Anyone can take revenge.

--
The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight, and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

Vir Campestris November 4th 13 10:02 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 10:59, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
They probably won't bother to check until you claim. At which point
you'll find "driving without insurance" added to the charge list.

If that were true, people would be being punished for being forgetful.

You do know it's a crime to forget your password?

Andy

Vir Campestris November 4th 13 10:06 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 15:15, Richard wrote:
Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Sweetheart's grammar is far better.

Andy

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 4th 13 10:47 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:05:34 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Here, it's the countryside - narrow lanes, etc, - that have the

lower
limits

How odd. I've never seen a lane with a limit on it,

Can't think of any around here either.

... and always thought it crazy that you could go faster on a narrow
road with blind bends than in a built up area on a straight with
excellent visibility.

Who will come of worse between a tractor and a car?

A large rabbit or even a pheasant can take out a headlight or smash a
radiator grill. A sheep would probably cause serious damage, roe deer
have long thin legs so will tend to get scooped up and have a good go
at coming through the windscreen. A red deer, probably will come
through the windscreen, you might survive...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 4th 13 10:57 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:34:39 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Sometimes you have to read the label, too. there's a mile stretch

of
dual carriageway near here which has 50mph signs posted.

There's a bit of dual carriageway in Preston that has a 30 limit,
guess how I know that...

Interesting one near me.

50 eastbound
http://goo.gl/maps/AAKev

NSL westbound
http://goo.gl/maps/c9QbE

Near here there is a section of illuminated road that is very
confusing. When traveling south you pass an NSL sign as you enter the
section but there are no repeater signs every few hundred yards, as
you drive into a village there is no 30 sign. Going the other way
there is no NSL sign as you enter that section of road and again no
repeater signs but there is a 30 sign at the next village...

Close by there is a similar illuminated NSL section of road but the
signage for that is correct with repeater signs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Tim Lamb[_2_] November 5th 13 08:49 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:05:34 -0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Here, it's the countryside - narrow lanes, etc, - that have the

lower
limits

How odd. I've never seen a lane with a limit on it,

Can't think of any around here either.

Umm.. curious situation here. Lane becoming a *Byway open to all
traffic* linking between two B classified roads. One end is inside a
30mph limit the other (Byway) outside ie 60mph.

Presumably there ought to be some de-restriction signs unless there is
a general limit on Byways? None of my tractors can exceed 18mph so I
don't feel tempted:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 5th 13 09:08 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 18:19:50 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my

long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all

drivers...

Too much sense in that and too few votes it'll attract so it
won't happen...

Sadly... It's crazy that you can pass your test at 17 and not have
any further formal training/education until 70.

Even if it's just a morning in a classroom giving an update in the
law changes since your last refresher. When I passed there were no
seatbelt laws, no child seat laws, no mobile phone laws, no theory
test, no basic maintenance, etc, etc There ought to be some basic
visual (number plate at x metres) and hazard awareness/reaction tests
(few minute driving simulation on a computer).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Gefreiter Krueger November 5th 13 09:31 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:02:41 -0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 03/11/2013 10:59, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
They probably won't bother to check until you claim. At which point
you'll find "driving without insurance" added to the charge list.

If that were true, people would be being punished for being forgetful.

You do know it's a crime to forget your password?

And to get your papers damp. Even if there is a war on.

--
How does an Italian get into an honest business?
Through the skylight.