DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Speed awareness courses (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/363633-ot-speed-awareness-courses.html)

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 11:56 AM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:51:02 -0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:04:53 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:01:14 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 03/11/2013 10:47 Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:45:37 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 03/11/2013 09:33 Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

It's not.

Read the other posts before replying.

It's still not usually 60mph.

Most single carriageways are 60.

(sigh) but you said 'dual'. We know that single carriageways can be 60mph.

That's why I said "Read the other posts before replying." In the other posts I explained I misread dual as single.

--
Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive?

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 12:05 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:54:37 -0000, charles wrote:

In article , Gefreiter Krueger
wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:01:14 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 03/11/2013 10:47 Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:45:37 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 03/11/2013 09:33 Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:41:46 -0000, ARW
wrote:

Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is
60MPH!

It usually is.

It's not.

Read the other posts before replying.

It's still not usually 60mph.

Most single carriageways are 60.

Single carriageways without a lower limit posted are 60mph. Round here
they are generally 50mph or even 40mph - but that's Surrey Highways for
you.

It's more countrysideish round here, so most don't have lower limits
until you're in a built up area. Or roadworks. We mustn't endanger all
those traffic cones after all.

Here, it's the countryside - narrow lanes, etc, - that have the lower limits

How odd. I've never seen a lane with a limit on it, and always thought it crazy that you could go faster on a narrow road with blind bends than in a built up area on a straight with excellent visibility.

--
I spent a couple of hours defrosting the fridge last night, or "foreplay" as she likes to call it.

F[_2_] November 3rd 13 12:16 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 11:37 Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 11:31:38 -0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 03/11/2013 09:42 Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:40:48 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Gefreiter Krueger
wrote:

I do, and have had a clean license ever since.

Licence.

Silly pedant, they mean precisely the same.

No they don't.

Yes they do.

No they don't.

****wit pedant OCD moron.

Ouch! :-)

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 12:18 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

Licence.

Silly pedant, they mean precisely the same.

No they don't.

Yes they do.

No they don't.

See below.

****wit pedant OCD moron.

Ouch! :-)

You don't think there's anything wrong with it?

--
"Oh, Jason, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a student on 31p-a-pint night.

ARW November 3rd 13 12:30 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:19:07 -0000, ARW
wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I
knew on Thursday that I had been caught.

do what I did: ignore it. (similar speeds: I THOUGHT it was a 40...)

They said 'you will be reported to the police'

I may have well been, but the police didn't act.

In reality they make no money from reporting you to the police, so
they don't bother.

********. I had a trip to S****horpe magistrates last year for
"ignoring" a NIP. I actually never received it as it was posted next
door and no-one was living there at the time. I got the failure to
supply the drivers details (that a 6 pointer) dropped and got away
with a 65 for speeding (plus 40 costs and 15 victim surcharge)

Don't they make you sign for the letter?

No. But the NIP says "You are required to provide the appropriate
information on this form" and "If you do not obtain a certificate of posting
and later claim in court to have replied, then this may go against your
case".

The magistrates were happy enough to accept that I did not receive the NIP -
three of them sat high up looking like Gods. The one on the left had nice
eyes and a very sexy smile - I wanted her phone number.

--
Adam

tim...... November 3rd 13 12:31 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

[...]

speed limits aren't there to teach you to dive

there're there to stop you annoying the neighbours

tim

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 12:53 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

So you must send it with certain postage restrictions, but they just use 2nd class post.

The magistrates were happy enough to accept that I did not receive the NIP -
three of them sat high up looking like Gods. The one on the left had nice
eyes and a very sexy smile - I wanted her phone number.

ROFL!

--
"Do you like Kipling?"
"I don't know, I've never kippled."

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 12:54 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

[...]

I've not seen a sign telling me to switch off my 6 kW stereo.

--
More people in the UK are injured by standing on upturned mains plugs than by electric shocks.

[email protected] November 3rd 13 01:08 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
there're there to stop you annoying the neighbours

I've not seen a sign telling me to switch off my 6 kW stereo.

What did you think the dog **** through your letterbox did mean, then?

Owain

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 01:21 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:08:44 -0000, wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
there're there to stop you annoying the neighbours

I've not seen a sign telling me to switch off my 6 kW stereo.

What did you think the dog **** through your letterbox did mean, then?

Those who don't know me don't know where I live. Those who do, know that would simply escalate into something far worse.

--
Stupid laws, number 467: In America, it is illegal to put money in someone elses parking meter.

tony sayer November 3rd 13 01:28 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus
On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Its a shame Adam that a few more practical down to earth people like you
aren't magistrates;!...

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer November 3rd 13 01:30 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
On 02/11/2013 22:20, Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me 85 for the course & 100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a 60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?

What annoys me, is that I never drive at a speed inappropriate for the
road & conditions - and I generally do keep to the limit.

Likewise .. but it only needs that one small error and your nicked;(!...

--
Tony Sayer

ARW November 3rd 13 01:36 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:42:57 -0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:33:07 +0000, Gefreiter Krueger wrote:

Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is
60MPH!

It usually is.

You really love making sweeping, WRONG statements, don't you?

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

It was some years after the change before I realised:-( Blame it on
poor publicity?

Did they used to be 60? You mean the government INCREASED a limit? I find
that hard to believe, they're all tending towards zero at the
moment.

??????? Your sig.

The female gangbang world record is held by Lisa Sparks who had sex with 919
men on October 16, 2004 in Warsaw, Poland as part of the Third Annual World
Gangbang Championship and Eroticon 2004

Did you know that Lisa was a fluffer for a certain Victoria Givens film?
That's the one where Victoria got an HIV infection.

--
Adam

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 01:39 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:
[...]

No I didn't. And I just had to look up "fluffer". ROFL!

--
Los Angeles's full name is El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la
Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula and can be

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 02:08 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:28:50 -0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus
On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:

[...]

Indeed. The defendant could change the course of the day by wearing less.

--
I go fishing; I catch nothing. I go to orgies; I catch everything.

Richard[_10_] November 3rd 13 03:15 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 2013-11-03, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

[44 lines snipped]

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

He is, yes.

Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 03:21 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/13 09:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

You wanted to winger?

(The two magistrates that sit either side of the chairperson are
called Wingers).

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 03:27 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 2013-11-03, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

[44 lines snipped]

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

He is, yes.

Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Seek psychiatric help.

--
Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII:
"When a prang seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible."

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 03:55 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:27:24 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Mills writes:
On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Is there any point in attending these rather than paying the fine and
taking the points?

The original idea seemed to be that, by attending the course, you would
avoid the points - and any insurance implications.

But most insurance companies now want to know that you have attended the
course - so there's no longer any advantage, unless you're in danger of
being a "totter".

I've never been asked about having been on a course (but I haven't
been on a course anyway).

We were having a conversation at work about points (someone was on 9
points). The consensus was that for most insurance companies, 3 points
on a driving license which was previously clean for 20+ years didn't
impact premiums, but more than 3 points does, as does routinely
maintaining points on your license.

Define routinely?
Here is my record, still haven't got one of these photo licences
forced on me.

Oct 77 sp30
May 81 sp30
Apr 91 sp50 - 3pp
Apr 98 sp30 - 3pp
May 99 sp30 - 3pp
Jun 06 sp30 - 3pp
Jan 07 sp30 - 3pp
Oct 09 sp30 - 3pp
Nov 09 sp30 - 3pp

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

BruceB[_3_] November 3rd 13 04:00 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

In article ,
says...

BruceB wrote:
On the couple I have done it seemed a nice little earner for the ex-
policemen and their wives.

And their wives?

Are the biscuits home made?

Owain

A policeman's wife was one of the 'instructors'.

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:15 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:22:06 +0000, Apellation Controlee
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:04:14 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Went on one a couple of weeks ago. 23 of us hardened criminals, mostly
middle aged, fair few OAP's.

First thing is - unless you toe the line & nod in all the right places -
you fail the course. Second thing, they won't discuss the rights &
wrongs of cameras or limits - it's a taboo subject. Think of 1984.

You get tea & biscuits, 2 fag breaks, a free pen & copy of the highway
code - and patronised for 4 hours.

Basically a load of old ********.

I should think I can match you for cynicism but, in the interests of
balance, this wasn't my experience last year in Preston.
It was a relaxed, good-humoured session and we were encouraged to
discuss the issues. In return we got explanations of why roads are
marked the way they are (e.g. why some bends have conspicuous markings
and some don't), speed limit policies, camera positioning, & so on,
and the bottom line that, whatever we think of it, it's the law so we
have to live with it.
I don't think it's altered how I drive but it was a pleasant enough
half-day and there wasn't a suggestion of censure in the attitude of
the presenters..

I also did one at Preston but it was a few years ago, a full day and
the afternoon session was practical driving, but more like a lesson
than a test.

On the way out to the cars there was a driving test style eyesight
test which, if you failed meant you were back with the fine and
points. One member of the group had difficulty with this and they had
a tape-measure out to make sure the distance was correct.

I don't know if they were the same two guys that I had, I think they
were both ADIs, they were very personable as long as your attitude was
correct. Attitude of the group was good, but I guess once in a while
they get someone problematic.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Adrian November 3rd 13 04:17 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:15:04 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On the way out to the cars there was a driving test style eyesight test
which, if you failed meant you were back with the fine and points.

And, hopefully, a nice fresh ticket for MS70 - Driving with uncorrected
defective eyesight

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:18 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 16:00:05 -0000, BruceB wrote:

In article ,
says...

BruceB wrote:
On the couple I have done it seemed a nice little earner for the ex-
policemen and their wives.

And their wives?

Are the biscuits home made?

Owain

A policeman's wife was one of the 'instructors'.

Not a happy one?
(Happy one)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:22 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 22:20:39 +0000, Roger Mills

On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me 85 for the course & 100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a 60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?

You may as well negate the points when you get the chance. You might
not be offered the course when you need to avoid the final three
points leading to a ban.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 04:26 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 2013-11-03, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

[44 lines snipped]

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

He is, yes.

Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Not sure, but "she" is killfiled here anyway.

Awww are my posts too scary for you?

--
23% of all photocopier faults worldwide are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their buttocks.

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:30 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:25:30 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 02/11/2013 22:20, Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me 85 for the course & 100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a 60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?

What annoys me, is that I never drive at a speed inappropriate for the
road & conditions - and I generally do keep to the limit.

What annoys me is I can drive up to 4,000 miles a month on business.
I am much safer than the average 60 year old who just tootles to the
shops, but I get nicked rather than her because I am on the roads
longer and there are more opportunities.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

bm[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:34 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 03/11/2013 10:14, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 09:56:10 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Gefreiter Krueger
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 14:38:57 -0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I
knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Is there any point in attending these rather than paying the fine
and
taking the points?

The original idea seemed to be that, by attending the course, you
would
avoid the points - and any insurance implications.

But most insurance companies now want to know that you have attended
the
course - so there's no longer any advantage, unless you're in
danger of
being a "totter".

Half of my insurance companies never asked for points, the others
didn't check :-)

I think you may be obliged by law to tell them, not sure tho. In any
case, it would provide an excuse for them to invalidate your insurance.
What does their small print say?

Usually something along the lines of "If you fail to tell us about
*anything*, or change your address or any other detail, we'll cancel
your insurance."

I'd just say I forgot, although they never noticed.

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

LOL, spot on, how did you guess? He has a degree you know.
:D

bm[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:36 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 2013-11-03, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

[44 lines snipped]

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

He is, yes.

Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Nah, sweetheart acts like a moron. The lootenant IS one.

Adrian November 3rd 13 04:41 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:19:17 +0000, Adrian wrote:

repeatedly
And, hopefully, a nice fresh ticket for MS70 - Driving with uncorrected
defective eyesight

Oh, ffs. Sorry for the multi-posting. My broadband is unbelievably slow
today, and I think the client's assuming that the server's timed out.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 04:47 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

I think you may be obliged by law to tell them, not sure tho. In any
case, it would provide an excuse for them to invalidate your insurance.
What does their small print say?

Usually something along the lines of "If you fail to tell us about
*anything*, or change your address or any other detail, we'll cancel
your insurance."

I'd just say I forgot, although they never noticed.

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

LOL, spot on, how did you guess? He has a degree you know.
:D

Jealousy....

--
After pleading no contest to burglarizing Britney Spears's home, four men received three years of probation.
All they had to do was sign an agreement not to reveal what they stole from the house or how many batteries it took.

Gefreiter Krueger November 3rd 13 04:48 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 2013-11-03, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message ...

[44 lines snipped]

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

He is, yes.

Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Nah, sweetheart acts like a moron. The lootenant IS one.

Bum's definition of moron: "Someone who hold different views to myself."

--
The teacher wrote "Like I ain't had no fun in months" on the board and then she said, "Timmy, how should I correct that?"
Timmy replied, "Maybe get a new boyfriend?"

Graham.[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:56 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 2 Nov 2013 18:00:57 +0000 (UTC), Adrian
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 16:41:46 +0000, ARW wrote:

I find the bit about it not altering the way you drive interesting. I
know several people who have attended the course. One of them came back
with the statement "if there are streetlights then it IS a 30MPH limit
end of". Another announced that the speed limit on a dual carriage is
60MPH!

I just wonder if a lot of it is dumbed down.

No, the dumbing-down was probably only the attendees themselves,
remembering selectively.

That's true. We had a discussion about the trend of road deaths since
the mid '60 to reduce year on year from 6,000 to 2,000

It was surprising how much some of the group did not know, for example
it was commonly believed that your exit had to be clear before
entering a box junction when turning right.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Roger Mills[_2_] November 3rd 13 04:57 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 02/11/2013 22:20, Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/11/2013 16:26, Roger Mills wrote:

Cost me 85 for the course & 100 in lost takings.

Wouldn't it have been better just to have paid a 60 fine?

And 3 points. Got caught by a scamera 6 mths ago & just paid the fine.

Yes, you obviously can't afford too many points - unless you've got
someone to give them to, like Chris Huhne!

Do you take any obvious precautions (apart from not breaking the speed
limit!) like using a GPS which warns you of camera locations?

What annoys me, is that I never drive at a speed inappropriate for the
road & conditions - and I generally do keep to the limit.

Don't get me going on the difference between *safe* speed and *legal* speed!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Roger Mills[_2_] November 3rd 13 05:01 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

wrote:

I do, and have had a clean license ever since.

Licence.

Silly pedant, they mean precisely the same.

No they don't - licence is a noun, license is a verb (this side of the
Pond, at any rate)
--
Cheers,
Roger

Richard[_10_] November 3rd 13 05:03 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On 2013-11-03, Richard wrote:
"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in message

[44 lines snipped]

Are you the dick who used to post as Lieutenant Scott?

He is, yes.

Thanks. I often wonder if he is sweetheart too.

Nah, sweetheart acts like a moron. The lootenant IS one.

Bum's definition of moron: "Someone who hold different views to myself."

Actually, in the great scheme of things, you are an idiot.
Calling you a moron is promoting you to a rank of intellectual superiority
which you will never achieve.

Adrian November 3rd 13 05:23 PM

OT Speed awareness courses

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 16:56:14 +0000, Graham. wrote:

It was surprising how much some of the group did not know, for example
it was commonly believed that your exit had to be clear before entering
a box junction when turning right.

I rather suspect attendance on an SAC would only reinforce my long-
standing belief in the need for regular re-testing of all drivers...