Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to seal a tilt & swivel recessed halogen downlighter.

Hi All,

I am getting a round tuit (well, about 10!) for our kitchen ceiling and am considering a fitting which recessed and has a tilt & swivel feature. I'm not bothered about the tilty-swivelyness, just the recession.

What could I use to seal the (slight) gap where the tilt swivel bit fits into the main body? Fire cement springs to mind, but would this do the job, and or is there something more suitable?

I am not concerned about maintaining a fire barrier, just about stopping much from above comming down and muckying up the fitting (though thinking about it, it will probably get more muckied from below by the "Real Cooking" my lovely wife does).

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:29:24 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

wrote in
:

Hi All,

I am getting a round tuit (well, about 10!) for our kitchen ceiling
and am considering a fitting which recessed and has a tilt & swivel
feature. I'm not bothered about the tilty-swivelyness, just the
recession.

What could I use to seal the (slight) gap where the tilt swivel bit
fits into the main body? Fire cement springs to mind, but would this
do the job, and or is there something more suitable?

I am not concerned about maintaining a fire barrier, just about
stopping much from above comming down and muckying up the fitting
(though thinking about it, it will probably get more muckied from
below by the "Real Cooking" my lovely wife does).

TIA

Chris

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ver_Downlight/

Not a seal - but it will keep the dirt out I think and will be safe.

We have fire-proof fittings in the kitchen but I fitted several of
these caps over the living areas a while ago - also from TLC
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLALC724.html
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2013 19:36, rbel wrote:
(though thinking about it, it will probably get more muckied from

Will this not cause the lamp to overheat, thus reducing lifespan?

I would buy a unit without the tilt and swivel part
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD50C.html

--
yendor
If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:45:13 +0100, yendor wrote:

On 27/09/2013 19:36, rbel wrote:
(though thinking about it, it will probably get more muckied from

Will this not cause the lamp to overheat, thus reducing lifespan?

I would buy a unit without the tilt and swivel part
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUFRD50C.html

That is possible in the long term, but so far none of the lamps have
gone in the 18 months or so since fitting the caps.
--
rbel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Should've said, the idea is to quickly simply and aesthetically pleasingly-ish replace some R50 eyeball and R80 fittings, so I need something to suit a large hole. I have bought a sample of both the tilty swively one, and a standard downlight converter to try them side by side and see which (if either) gets management approval.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've fitted the pair of them, and will probably use one of these designs for the R80 replacements (Though I'm not impressed with the retaining rings for the (12v) bulbs.

Having pulled one of the R50 Eyeballs yesterday, I find their holes are only approx 100mm. Does any one know of any halogen down lighter fittings which would suit such holes? (Ideally for =£15 ea inc VAT)