Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing (and replacing) tilt and swivel window

Hi,

I need to remove (then refit) a tilt-and-swivel double glazed window
unit in order to get a sofa into the flat. Is there a "trick" for
removing and refitting these windows?

Thanks

Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive" wrote:
Hi,
I need to remove (then refit) a tilt-and-swivel double glazed window
unit in order to get a sofa into the flat. Is there a "trick" for
removing and refitting these windows?

Impossible to say without seeing your window but usually the hinged openers
are fixed to the frame hinges at the factory. The fitters fix the sealed
units into the frames after the frame has been fixed into the wall opening.
If that's the case with yours then you will be looking at removing the
sealed unit to get a sofa through. If that doesn't make enough space then
the whole frame may need to come out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, im new to this group but i am a time served joiner, the windows in
question - tilt and turn - the opening sash can be removed from the
frame by unscrewing the top hinge then lifting the window up from the
pivot on the bootom hinge.
im not sure what size pf opening you have, are you sure a sofa will fit
through it??

On Nov 25, 8:02 pm, "Handy" wrote:
"Clive" wrote:
Hi,
I need to remove (then refit) a tilt-and-swivel double glazed window
unit in order to get a sofa into the flat. Is there a "trick" for
removing and refitting these windows?Impossible to say without seeing your window but usually the hinged openers

are fixed to the frame hinges at the factory. The fitters fix the sealed
units into the frames after the frame has been fixed into the wall opening.
If that's the case with yours then you will be looking at removing the
sealed unit to get a sofa through. If that doesn't make enough space then
the whole frame may need to come out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive" wrote:
I need to remove (then refit) a tilt-and-swivel double glazed window
unit in order to get a sofa into the flat. Is there a "trick" for
removing and refitting these windows?

Is this tilt and swivel double glazed sealed unit in a wooden frame, or is
it in a upvc frame? If it is in a wooden frame then there should be screws
fixing the opener to the outer frame. If it is in a upvc frame then the
hinges/tilting mechanism for the opener may have been constructed at the
factory as part of the upvc frame and internal metal reinforcement, in which
case it may only be possible to remove the double glazing from the frame..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handy wrote:

Impossible to say without seeing your window but usually the hinged openers
are fixed to the frame hinges at the factory. The fitters fix the sealed
units into the frames after the frame has been fixed into the wall opening.
If that's the case with yours then you will be looking at removing the
sealed unit to get a sofa through. If that doesn't make enough space then
the whole frame may need to come out.

I should have made clear in my posting they are uPVC windows.

That makes sense that the hinges are factory fitted to the window. Then
each hinge unit is screwed into the frame with three screws.

So if I have to (I really hope I don't) the only approach will be to
unscrew the hinges from the frame and lift out the window unit. That
may give me a couple more centimeters I need.

Taking out the whole frame isn't feasible.

I should have measured up before I bought. I was in a rush. Twit.

Thanks for all the responses.

Clive