Buck Turgidson

Default Replacing Window

This question is not directly related to woodworking, but most people in
this group seem to have a lot of experience. I have a basement window on
the NW corner of my home that actually ices up on the inside on very cold
mornings. I'd like to replace it with a vinyl slider, but I am not sure how
to do it. I have some photos if someone could take a look and give advice.

Should I just pull it out from the inside after chipping away the mortar
bed? How is a new window finished off on the interior, i.e. with wood stop
molding, or just caulk? Do I need a wood frame, or can I attach the unit
directly to the blocks?

Thanks for any advice.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/p1010140.jpg

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/p1010144.jpg

Walt Cheever

Buck,

There are so many variables, that it's real hard to tell from a distance.

But...if you are replacing the window to cure the icing up problem, it
probably won't . The icing is caused by the glass being only slightly better
than sheet metal at resisting the passage of heat/cold.

If the house is humid, and the glass is cold you get ice, whether the frame
is wood, steel or vinyl.

Better call would be a storm window that traps some dead air between the
inside window and the outside cold. You can make them from pieces available
in most hardware stores. Costs less than a new window and easier to
install.

Walt C

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
This question is not directly related to woodworking, but most people in
this group seem to have a lot of experience. I have a basement window on
the NW corner of my home that actually ices up on the inside on very cold
mornings. I'd like to replace it with a vinyl slider, but I am not sure
how
to do it. I have some photos if someone could take a look and give advice.

Should I just pull it out from the inside after chipping away the mortar
bed? How is a new window finished off on the interior, i.e. with wood stop
molding, or just caulk? Do I need a wood frame, or can I attach the unit
directly to the blocks?

Thanks for any advice.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/p1010140.jpg

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/p1010144.jpg

Edwin Pawlowski

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message

Should I just pull it out from the inside after chipping away the mortar
bed? How is a new window finished off on the interior, i.e. with wood stop
molding, or just caulk? Do I need a wood frame, or can I attach the unit
directly to the blocks?

Thanks for any advice.

Many years ago I used to install windows in a part time business I had. In
a basement window I'd tear out the wood frame and whatever, then set the
aluminum framed window in place and mortar both the inside and outside.
Vinyl was not made in windows back then.