cb

Default Replacing upvc window rubber seals

I'm looking to replace the rubber seals on the opening sections of some nine year old UPVC
windows.
I have no idea who installed these units, but I guess the seals must be almost universal ? or
maybe each manufacturer (thousands of 'em) has their own design ?
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
CB

Colin Wilson

I'm looking to replace the rubber seals on the opening sections of some nine year old UPVC
windows.
I have no idea who installed these units, but I guess the seals must be almost universal ? or
maybe each manufacturer (thousands of 'em) has their own design ?
Any advice gratefully received.

Most apparently have the seals built into the frames, but we have some
from St Helens Glass where the seal is simply a strip of neoprene poked
into the gap in the frame, which was overstretched when installed and has
pulled away quite a lot at most corners.

Still haven`t managed to locate a source (only looked "casually" though,
not in earnest)

Rory

Colin Wilson wrote:
we have some
from St Helens Glass where the seal is simply a strip of neoprene poked
into the gap in the frame, which was overstretched when installed and has
pulled away quite a lot at most corners.

I've had the same thing happen on the internal seals on our windows. You
can just take them out and stretch them back (try an inconspicuous one
first!). A dab of Pritt is sometimes useful for keeping them in place
while they 'settle'.
The outer ones are part of the beading and that has to removed and the
seals slide out (although they havn't receded in the way the inner ones
have).
Colin Wilson

snip
from St Helens Glass where the seal is simply a strip of neoprene poked
into the gap in the frame, which was overstretched when installed and has
pulled away quite a lot at most corners.

I've had the same thing happen on the internal seals on our windows. You
can just take them out and stretch them back (try an inconspicuous one
first!). A dab of Pritt is sometimes useful for keeping them in place
while they 'settle'.
The outer ones are part of the beading and that has to removed and the
seals slide out (although they havn't receded in the way the inner ones
have).

thanks for the reply - I think i`d rather just replace the internal seals
completely though if I can get hold of the damn stuff - at least that way
they wouldn`t be overstretched !