Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crumbling plasterboard round halogen downlighter

hi all

fitted 4 halogen downlighters in the bathroom a while back. They are
the design with 2 wire clips, whereby the act of pushing the
downlighter into place grips the clips, and swivels them to spring
against the ceiling to hold them in.

3 are fine, but one, for some reason has the plasterboard cumbling a
bit. This has enlarged the hole slightly and reduced the grip the
light has.

Anyone know of a way to reinforce the hole in the plasterboard to
prevent further damage and ensure the light stays in place ? I'm
imagining something made of metal which can be fed round the hole and
curved into place ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro
wibbled on Monday 01 March 2010 10:20

hi all

fitted 4 halogen downlighters in the bathroom a while back. They are
the design with 2 wire clips, whereby the act of pushing the
downlighter into place grips the clips, and swivels them to spring
against the ceiling to hold them in.

3 are fine, but one, for some reason has the plasterboard cumbling a
bit. This has enlarged the hole slightly and reduced the grip the
light has.

Anyone know of a way to reinforce the hole in the plasterboard to
prevent further damage and ensure the light stays in place ? I'm
imagining something made of metal which can be fed round the hole and
curved into place ....

Paint the edge with PVA?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 02:20:40 -0800 (PST), Jethro
wrote:

hi all

fitted 4 halogen downlighters in the bathroom a while back. They are
the design with 2 wire clips, whereby the act of pushing the
downlighter into place grips the clips, and swivels them to spring
against the ceiling to hold them in.

3 are fine, but one, for some reason has the plasterboard cumbling a
bit. This has enlarged the hole slightly and reduced the grip the
light has.

Anyone know of a way to reinforce the hole in the plasterboard to
prevent further damage and ensure the light stays in place ? I'm
imagining something made of metal which can be fed round the hole and
curved into place ....

*If* you can get to the other side of the hole, you could fit a piece
of some sort of heat resistant material such as formica above the
hole, with a fresh hole cut into that.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Frank Erskine- Hide quoted text -

Hmmm, like a washer ? No problem to get to the under (top) side ... I
wonder where to buy formica ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro" wrote in message
hi all

fitted 4 halogen downlighters in the bathroom a while back. They are
the design with 2 wire clips, whereby the act of pushing the
downlighter into place grips the clips, and swivels them to spring
against the ceiling to hold them in.

3 are fine, but one, for some reason has the plasterboard cumbling a
bit. This has enlarged the hole slightly and reduced the grip the
light has.

Anyone know of a way to reinforce the hole in the plasterboard to
prevent further damage and ensure the light stays in place ? I'm
imagining something made of metal which can be fed round the hole and
curved into place ....

Cut a giant washer from thickish but flexible plastic (look for inspiration
in the binder dept of a stationery shop) Pop it up through the hole and
glue it down with gripfill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 1, 10:20*am, Jethro wrote:
hi all

fitted 4 halogen downlighters in the bathroom a while back. They are
the design with 2 wire clips, whereby the act of pushing the
downlighter into place grips the clips, and swivels them to spring
against the ceiling to hold them in.

3 are fine, but one, for some reason has the plasterboard cumbling a
bit. This has enlarged the hole slightly and reduced the grip the
light has.

Anyone know of a way to reinforce the hole in the plasterboard to
prevent further damage and ensure the light stays in place ? I'm
imagining something made of metal which can be fed round the hole and
curved into place ....

remove anything crumbling, apply pva to strengthen whats there, and
plaster or filler to make up whats lost. Result good as new, and only
takes a few minutes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I fixed a similar problem by "no more nailing" some worktop edging strip to
the circumference of the hole. A full loop is all that was required.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

He only said " such as Formica" ...all sorts could be used
Hardboard,Plastic ,etc I'm sure you'll have something suitable around
the house .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Jethro, SBandME wrote:
You need a C-FIX for this. This will repair and reinforce your plasterboard
hole and you don't need access to the ceiling, can be fitted from below.
www.c-fix.co.uk order direct from them - quick service and product works.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-618266-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tell me dear user, how is it that I can easily deduce the original post was
made on
.. posted on March 1, 2010, 10:20 am
by simply opening the link on the post, but people with perfect sight seem
unable to deduce this morsel of important information?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"SBandME" m wrote in
message ...
replying to Jethro, SBandME wrote:
You need a C-FIX for this. This will repair and reinforce your
plasterboard
hole and you don't need access to the ceiling, can be fitted from below.
www.c-fix.co.uk order direct from them - quick service and product works.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-618266-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SBandME wrote:

www.spam-fix.co.uk order direct from them

Surely you mean "from us"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2018 08:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
Tell me dear user, how is it that I can easily deduce the original post was
made on
. posted on March 1, 2010, 10:20 am
by simply opening the link on the post, but people with perfect sight seem
unable to deduce this morsel of important information?

Presumably because they are not so much interested in solving the OP's
problem, as spamming their web site details anywhere they think there is
a slightly plausible "hook".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 19:05:20 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/01/2018 08:34, Brian Gaff wrote:

Tell me dear user, how is it that I can easily deduce the original post was
made on
. posted on March 1, 2010, 10:20 am
by simply opening the link on the post, but people with perfect sight seem
unable to deduce this morsel of important information?

Presumably because they are not so much interested in solving the OP's
problem, as spamming their web site details anywhere they think there is
a slightly plausible "hook".

A product with no use, since a brush of PVA round a crumbling hole fixes it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely this is counter productive though, would you trust a company who had
to resort to spamming outdated threads in newsgroups, come on, its a bit
like the bloke in the pub selling off dodgy toasters.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/01/2018 08:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
Tell me dear user, how is it that I can easily deduce the original post
was
made on
. posted on March 1, 2010, 10:20 am
by simply opening the link on the post, but people with perfect sight
seem
unable to deduce this morsel of important information?

Presumably because they are not so much interested in solving the OP's
problem, as spamming their web site details anywhere they think there is a
slightly plausible "hook".

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe it makes the stuff edible?
Brian

--
----- -

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
SBandME wrote:

www.spam-fix.co.uk order direct from them

Surely you mean "from us"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 09:31, Brian Gaff wrote:
Surely this is counter productive though, would you trust a company who had
to resort to spamming outdated threads in newsgroups, come on, its a bit
like the bloke in the pub selling off dodgy toasters.

I guess his hope is that it might help search engines spot the web site
- its black hat SEO / link spamming basically.

--
Cheers,

John.