Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen and bathroom paint

Hi,

Is it me or was there a time where you could buy one tin of paint
labeled "kitchen and bathroom" paint? The sheds now seem to sell
separate kitchen and bathroom paints. Is this just a trick to make you
buy two pots rather than one?

Across the rest of the house, we have used dulux endurance, which is a
wipeable emulsion. Now the unique selling point of the bathroom paint
is that it is moisture resistant. Wouldn't the dulux endurance be
moisture resistant considering that it is wipeable? The kitchen paint
claims to be wipeable and grease resistant but again, wouldn't the
endurance be the same? Could I just use the endurance emulsion and
save some money?

I have had a look on the dulux web site and
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/bath...us-soft-sheen/
does mention the bathroom paint is mould resistant, which I didn't see
mentioned on the tin, so that might be one difference. But the
descriptions for the kitchen and endurance paints read much the same:
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/kitchen-plus-matt/
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/endurance-plus-matt/

That they are both wipeable and will not fade, so are they really any
different?

I have heard eggshell is recommended for kitchens and bathrooms but
the dulux web site says it is only for woods and metals:
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/eggshell

The tin says high vocs, so would it be very smelly if applied to a
whole wall? It says self-undercoating but would you need to use
anything as an undercoat or primer (I would be painting onto bare
plaster).

Has anyone used any of Wickes' paint? I see they sell this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/mould-protec...l/invt/214284/

It's interesting that the description for their kitchen paint says: "A
tough, fully scrubbable emulsion in a long lasting matt finish. Ideal
for busy rooms such as kitchens, hallways, stairs and children's
bedrooms.

For interior walls and ceilings
Tough and long lasting
Flawless matt finish
Fully scrubbable
Ideal for kitchens and all other high traffic areas", which does
make me think it is no different to any other wipeable emulsion.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/durable-matt...l/invt/213917/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 14 September 2013 07:37 Fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Hi,

Is it me or was there a time where you could buy one tin of paint
labeled "kitchen and bathroom" paint? The sheds now seem to sell
separate kitchen and bathroom paints. Is this just a trick to make you
buy two pots rather than one?

Dulux Bathroom is shinier than Endurance (I have used both).

The Bathroom is pretty good but it does not cover as well - sometimes
needing 3 coats over a vastly different background.

Personally I would be happy with either Endurance or Bathroom in the
kitchen.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fred
writes

I have heard eggshell is recommended for kitchens and bathrooms but
the dulux web site says it is only for woods and metals:
http://www.dulux.co.uk/products/eggshell

The tin says high vocs, so would it be very smelly if applied to a
whole wall? It says self-undercoating but would you need to use
anything as an undercoat or primer (I would be painting onto bare
plaster).

Search for their acrylic eggshell and you will find what you want:

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.u...lsion/eggshell

By preference I would use Johnstones Acrylic Eggshell or the Leyland
brand which is a more value oriented product from the same manufacturer,
both acceptable IME.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 08:44:11 +0100, fred wrote:

Search for their acrylic eggshell and you will find what you want:

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.u...lsion/eggshell

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether I needed to get "proper" eggshell as
I wondered whether the benefits were in the formulation. Is an acrylic
eggshell better than an acrylic matt? I thought that "eggshell" in
this context described a finish between matt and satin, rather than
described the formulation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 08:43:46 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

The Bathroom is pretty good but it does not cover as well - sometimes
needing 3 coats over a vastly different background.

Personally I would be happy with either Endurance or Bathroom in the
kitchen.

Thank you. I may have some endurance left, if the frost didn't get it,
so I will probably go with that. The only advantage of using the
bathroom paint seems to be the mould resistance but I haven't had any
problems with mould before now, so I think I may stick with the
endurance; particularly if it covers better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:28:53 +0100, Fred
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 08:44:11 +0100, fred wrote:

Search for their acrylic eggshell and you will find what you want:

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.u...lsion/eggshell

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether I needed to get "proper" eggshell as
I wondered whether the benefits were in the formulation. Is an acrylic
eggshell better than an acrylic matt? I thought that "eggshell" in
this context described a finish between matt and satin, rather than
described the formulation?

IMHO eggshell is more durable than emulsion. I've had no problems
with it in bathrooms and the kitchen. Kitchen/bathroom paint is
usually more difficult to apply and has a poorer finish.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

kitchen bathroom paint on new plaster benpost UK diy 3 March 3rd 08 10:41 PM
The best paint to use in a bathroom ? woodglass UK diy 8 October 4th 06 05:29 PM
Benjamin Moore Kitchen & Bathroom Paint: Really Any Good For Moist Area ? Robert11 Home Repair 1 July 11th 06 03:31 PM
bathroom paint zackde Home Repair 5 April 28th 05 06:01 AM
Bathroom paint repair MikeWazowski Home Repair 6 July 16th 04 03:26 AM