MikeWazowski

Default Bathroom paint repair

Due to my lack of experence with painting I mistakenly did not prime
over a large number of patching I preformed with joint compound due to
nail pops (new construction). The surface was throughly cleaned with
a TSP solution prior to painting and I used 2 coats of paint due to
the lack of primer/to insure good coverage. I also used a high
quality Behr paint. The blemishes I see only appear when using the
shower/bath in bathroom. When showering obviously a certain amount of
humidity is generated, and as normal we combat this with the bathroom
fan however about the time the mirror starts to fog, we begin to see
the spots on the wall where I patched. It seems as the mosture in the
air begins condense on all surfaces in the room but it seems somewhat
avoid the spots that I patched with joint compound. This creates a
very unattractive and obvious poke-a-dot effect on the wall. After
the mosture evaporates post shower/bath the above situation goes away
and the paint looks like normal. I am at a total loss of why this is
occuring any help on how to correct this would be greatly apprecated!

TIA.

-MW
dadiOH

MikeWazowski wrote:
[...]

Moisture condenses there too but it is being sucked up by the unprimed DW
compound. To fix, prime with oil base and repaint.

Alternatively, you might try spotting the areas with an acrylic sealer (I'm
thinking of something like SealCrete). It will take more than one
application, you'll know the spots are sealed when the surface dries shiny.
If your top paint has the same sheen you may not have to top coat again.
You could also wipe a sponge wet with the sealer over all (after sealing the
spots) to give a uniform sheen.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

An oxymoron.

On 15 Jul 2004 06:05:46 -0700, (MikeWazowski)
wrote:

I also used a high quality Behr paint.

MikeWazowski

dadiOH,

Any repercissions of leaving it this way? Or will it ruin the
drywall/paint if left as is... is this issue severe enough to warrant
us stoping the use of the shower in this bath until it can be sealed?

TIA.

- MW

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...
MikeWazowski wrote:
[...]

Colbyt

"MikeWazowski" wrote in message
om...
dadiOH,

Any repercissions of leaving it this way? Or will it ruin the
drywall/paint if left as is... is this issue severe enough to warrant
us stoping the use of the shower in this bath until it can be sealed?

Short term (a year or so) it isn't likely to cause any major problems. Long
term it may cause peeling and flaking of the paint in nearby areas as the
moisture gets behind the vapor barrier of the old paint. I would try to
avoid that if possible.

I think the binz shellac based sealer/primer paint serves as a vapor barrier
and might be easier for you to use than the oil based recommended by someone
else. The Binz can be top coated with your choice of acrylic or oil paint
with no additional primer needed and can be top coated about an hour after
the primer coat has been applied. Makes it a one day project.

Colbyt

Mike Wazowski

I guess I am unfamilar with that product. Is this something I would be able
to ask for at the Depot? Is this a one coat sort of thing or several? Can
I top coat with matching latex paint. I am familar with Kilz, would that
work for this?

Thanks for you help.

- MW

"Colbyt" wrote in message

[...]

Colbyt

They have it.

It may be spelled Bins. Almost the same as Kilz. Just a bit better in my
opinion.

One nice coat should do it. Two if it does not have a uniform look after the
first.

Kilz may work. Read the label. Been to long for me to recall.