Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED lamps

On Monday I got some LED lamps from Ikea as they're the cheapest retail that
I could find and I needed ES[1].

My ex could do with some BC golf ball and candle format; there are plenty on
e-bay BUT how can I tell if they're any good or just el cheapo crap?

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

[1] Ikea doesn't have BC or SBC - and the lamps aren't dimmable anyway (a
local pub would like some dimmable ones and doing the landlord a favour...)

Thanks.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
On Monday I got some LED lamps from Ikea as they're the cheapest retail
that I could find and I needed ES[1].

My ex could do with some BC golf ball and candle format; there are plenty
on e-bay BUT how can I tell if they're any good or just el cheapo crap?

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

megaman fluorescent golf balls are good and come in BC. Don't know about
their LEDs, though

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 18:12:45 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
On Monday I got some LED lamps from Ikea as they're the cheapest retail
that I could find and I needed ES[1].

My ex could do with some BC golf ball and candle format; there are plenty
on e-bay BUT how can I tell if they're any good or just el cheapo crap?

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

megaman fluorescent golf balls are good and come in BC. Don't know about
their LEDs, though

mmm, the Megaman spiral CFLs that I have don't impress me - take too long to
get going, so that's why I've put LEDs where the fittings get cold.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 17:59:33 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

I can vouch for this supplier...
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Yescompany-...Company?_rdc=1
I got a set of 7W dimmable PAR30 E27 LED spots from him months ago and
they've been absolutely fine. Not the cheapest, but about a third of
the price retailers/onlineUK were wanting for the same lamps. Unlike
another supplier, where two of three failed in a fortnight, but they
were far cheaper. Price seems to be an indicator - the failed ones
weren't total crap, just badly assembled and with buggral QC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

I can vouch for this supplier...
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Yescompany-...Company?_rdc=1
I got a set of 7W dimmable PAR30 E27 LED spots from him months ago and
they've been absolutely fine. Not the cheapest, but about a third of
the price retailers/onlineUK were wanting for the same lamps. Unlike
another supplier, where two of three failed in a fortnight, but they
were far cheaper. Price seems to be an indicator - the failed ones
weren't total crap, just badly assembled and with buggral QC.

Thank you very much - just what I was after.
It's easy to find LEDs but, as you've found out, more difficult to get good
quality.
Off to have a browse.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:13:30 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Thank you very much - just what I was after.

NP.

It's easy to find LEDs but, as you've found out, more difficult to get good
quality.

The supplier of the duff ones refunded my return postage and offered
to send replacements or a refund. That was fasttech.com , who are
quite good at customer relations.
If they've addressed the QC issue and/or changed their supplier, I
might just get some more from them, but if the second lot go toes-up,
then never again from them. FT are ok for torches, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Pointers towards good items/traders much appreciated.

I can vouch for this supplier...
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Yescompany-...Company?_rdc=1
I got a set of 7W dimmable PAR30 E27 LED spots from him months ago and
they've been absolutely fine. Not the cheapest, but about a third of
the price retailers/onlineUK were wanting for the same lamps. Unlike
another supplier, where two of three failed in a fortnight, but they
were far cheaper. Price seems to be an indicator - the failed ones
weren't total crap, just badly assembled and with buggral QC.

Ah, they turned out to be all ES or SES as far as I could see.

More searching hasn't yet come up with anything definite, but I did find a
guide to LEDs that looked sensible (to me):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/LED-Lamps-...7064387/g.html
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:17:46 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Ah, they turned out to be all ES or SES as far as I could see.

I take it there's no space for a converter socket in the fitting,
then. That's all I used, but there are no fittings here with space
restrictions on the lamp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ah, they turned out to be all ES or SES as far as I could see.

I take it there's no space for a converter socket in the fitting,
then. That's all I used, but there are no fittings here with space
restrictions on the lamp.

Most of the fittings for which I require them look weird with just a 40W
ordinary bulb as it pokes out of the top or bottom, so the extra length
would be worse unless golf-ball lamps were used. ISTR that she prefers
candle type.
Although the adaptors are about 60mm long, I don't know the nett addition to
length - any info, please?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:43:24 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Most of the fittings for which I require them look weird with just a 40W
ordinary bulb as it pokes out of the top or bottom, so the extra length
would be worse unless golf-ball lamps were used. ISTR that she prefers
candle type.
Although the adaptors are about 60mm long, I don't know the nett addition to
length - any info, please?

I measured one up - it adds about an inch to the overall length.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Most of the fittings for which I require them look weird with just a 40W
ordinary bulb as it pokes out of the top or bottom, so the extra length
would be worse unless golf-ball lamps were used. ISTR that she prefers
candle type.
Although the adaptors are about 60mm long, I don't know the nett addition to
length - any info, please?

I measured one up - it adds about an inch to the overall length.

Thanks for that. Not as bad as I'd feared. It's too much for a small fitting
with a candle lamp but should be OK with golf ball.
I noticed some reviews for these adaptors on Amazon where there are really
cheap 'n' nasty ones that are reminiscent of the old, crumbly, Bakelite ones
of yore.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

LED lamps D.M. Procida UK diy 41 October 26th 12 11:53 AM
(S)ES lamps Fred UK diy 21 March 12th 12 08:32 AM
2D Lamps The Medway Handyman[_2_] UK diy 7 February 14th 10 11:58 PM
LED MR 11 lamps Derek ^ UK diy 3 November 7th 05 12:37 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM