Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2D Lamps

These 16w and 28w lamps come in either 2 pin or 4 pin - I wondered why?
Seems daft having 2 configurations for 1 lamp.

Will a 2 pin lamp work in a 4 pin holder?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman was thinking very hard :
These 16w and 28w lamps come in either 2 pin or 4 pin - I wondered why? Seems
daft having 2 configurations for 1 lamp.

I think - not sure on this....

The 2 pins have (most of the control gear inside them, where as the 4
pin jobs all of the control is outside.

Will a 2 pin lamp work in a 4 pin holder?

No!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
These 16w and 28w lamps come in either 2 pin or 4 pin - I wondered why?
Seems daft having 2 configurations for 1 lamp.

Will a 2 pin lamp work in a 4 pin holder?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I'm not quite sure which ones you are referring to, but, if the following 2
and 4 pin:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LADD18.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LADD18slash4P.html

you will find that they are not interchangeable as the base has different
lugs on it. The 4 pin ones I use are for lights that have an emergency
battery supply. Although they appear identical apart from a small red LED
and that doesn't stop people forcing the wrong one in though!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Medway Handyman was thinking very hard :
These 16w and 28w lamps come in either 2 pin or 4 pin - I wondered
why? Seems daft having 2 configurations for 1 lamp.

I think - not sure on this....

The 2 pins have (most of the control gear inside them, where as the 4
pin jobs all of the control is outside.

Hmmm. 2 pin & 4 pin lamps are the same price at TLC. I would have thought
if 2 pin had more inside they would cost more?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I meant these (at the top) http://tinyurl.com/yz6lz32

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
These 16w and 28w lamps come in either 2 pin or 4 pin - I wondered why?
Seems daft having 2 configurations for 1 lamp.

Will a 2 pin lamp work in a 4 pin holder?

No.

The 2-pin ones have a built-in fluorescent tube starter in the base,
and will only run using a series magnetic ballast. They aren't
dimmable.

The 4-pin ones are usually used with electronic control gear and so
have no fluorescent tube starter in the base, and dimmable electronic
control gear is available. They can in theory be used with a series
magnetic ballast and separate fluorescent tube starter, but that
would be most unusual and I've never seen it done.

Note that both the 16W and 28W have another power rating
which is the same physical size - 21W and 38W respectively.
(Actually, the higher power ones have larger diameter tubes,
but the overal lamp size is the same.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
[...]

Thanks Andrew.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The 4-pin ones are usually used with electronic control gear and so
have no fluorescent tube starter in the base, and dimmable electronic
control gear is available. They can in theory be used with a series
magnetic ballast and separate fluorescent tube starter, but that
would be most unusual and I've never seen it done.

I have a couple of portable work lights that use these - mag ballast and
separate starter...

My bathroom light has a 4 pin, mag ballast and an electronic starter.
The electronic starter made the flicker at turn on a little better.

PIR security lamps Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 3 March 16th 09 10:25 AM
Incandescent lamps Frank Erskine UK diy 2 July 8th 08 08:19 AM
LED MR 11 lamps Derek ^ UK diy 3 November 7th 05 12:37 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM
OIl lamps and candles Michael Mcneil UK diy 2 November 17th 03 06:31 AM