Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish Murder

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 17:28:27 +0100, harryagain wrote:

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on
the brake.

And the great big red warning light for low fluid, which's been a legal
requirement for decades, would also be a hint.

I s'pose you could severely weaken a line - probably a flexi would be
easiest, so that it'd blow at some stage in the very near future but not
immediately.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 06 August 2013 17:28 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a
foot brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

And in the films where the car is careering down the hill and the stupid
nonce does not try the gears (and yes, it's a manual).

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 17:28:27 +0100, harryagain wrote:

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the
instant I wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put
my foot on the brake.

And the great big red warning light for low fluid, which's been a
legal requirement for decades, would also be a hint.

I s'pose you could severely weaken a line - probably a flexi would be
easiest, so that it'd blow at some stage in the very near future but
not immediately.

Back in 2000 I had a 1994 VH Cavalier and a wife with L plates. So I took
her to an unopened bypass for a little practice.

I said that she needed to slow down a little earlier when approaching
roundabouts. She said that she had put her foot down on the brake as hard as
she could and the pedal had gone all the way down.

A split hose to the caliper was the cause.

I did decided not to drive home (7 miles away) but to my parents - less than
two miles away and let the gears and gravity do the breaking.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/08/2013 17:48, ARW wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Did your parents have a washing machine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2013 17:28, harryagain wrote:
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

A well established plot device, even used by Alfred Hitchcock. As you
say, most unlikely to work without the help of a steep, winding,
mountain descent. OTOH, in real life, there have been several
convictions for attempted murder after brake pipes were cut.

I prefer the Blue's Brothers version - glue on the accelerator, so that
the villain's foot sticks to the pedal and the pedal sticks to the floor.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of explosives.

The Queen can

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/08/2013 17:54, Nightjar wrote:

I prefer the Blue's Brothers version - glue on the accelerator, so that
the villain's foot sticks to the pedal and the pedal sticks to the floor.

You can achieve pretty much that without trace, just with the carpet/mat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 06/08/2013 18:09, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message

I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death
short of explosives.

The Queen can

It was the Doook.

My first answer was "let a woman drive it" but a drunk Frenchman is just as
effective

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2013 18:10, GB wrote:
On 06/08/2013 17:54, Nightjar wrote:

I prefer the Blue's Brothers version - glue on the accelerator, so that
the villain's foot sticks to the pedal and the pedal sticks to the floor.

You can achieve pretty much that without trace, just with the carpet/mat.

The glue makes for a funnier film though.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 August 2013 18:54:24 UTC+2, Nightjar wrote:

OTOH, in real life, there have been several

convictions for attempted murder after brake pipes were cut.

Prince Charles got away with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 17:28:27 +0100, harryagain wrote:

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on
the brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor
having a foot brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of explosives.

There's the BMW serial bus hack via the tyre pressure sensors on the
older ones.

Then tell the car to accelerate hard, and put ONE front brake on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On Tuesday 06 August 2013 17:28 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a
foot brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

And in the films where the car is careering down the hill and the stupid
nonce does not try the gears (and yes, it's a manual).

My father employed an ex army driving instructor. Stopping a moving
lorry without the use of the brakes was then part of driver training.
The other tale he used to tell was asking the trainee for his wrist
watch and pretending to place it behind the wheels when practising hill
starts.

Gavin Lyall gave a believable sabotage method in one of his Harry Maxim
novels. An extension to an ignition lead feeding a spark plug fitted to
a part filled petrol can hidden under the seat.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:05:26 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Gavin Lyall gave a believable sabotage method in one of his Harry Maxim
novels. An extension to an ignition lead feeding a spark plug fitted to
a part filled petrol can hidden under the seat.

Peter James did a similar one but the act of turning on the ignition also
locked the doors, inside and out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 06/08/2013 17:28, harryagain wrote:
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

I idly wondered whether crimping a brake line would work, because the
pedal would still feel "right" but I guess the pressure would just open
it back up anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee wrote:
On 06/08/2013 17:28, harryagain wrote:
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having
a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death
short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

I idly wondered whether crimping a brake line would work, because the
pedal would still feel "right" but I guess the pressure would just open
it back up anyway.

Not if you were to use a decent locking clamp as sold for the purposes
of bleeding brakes on a flexible hose, it wouldn't.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2013 17:48, ARW wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

A mate of mine was driving his long wheelbase crew cab landrover 110
down hill, with 1.5 tonnes of auger pile driving machine on the trailer
behind him, when it decided then was a good time to have some brake
pipes let go. Fortunately there was not much traffic and plenty of space
to run off the road and slow down. Got the blood pumping though I am sure!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:28:27 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

Buy them an electric car and watch them die of terminal boredom. However,
getting anyone but a complete cretin to accept the gift is going to be a huge
and problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2013 17:28, harryagain wrote:
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

The obvious suggestion is to replace some of the software. For example,
if you know something of the person's pattern of driving, you might be
able to reason some viable approach. For example, as soon as the car
reaches 75mph, make it open the throttle fully. Especially if it is
capable of a much higher speed. Not that it would be impossible to do
something (such as apply the brakes so hat the speed doesn't rise too
much) and gently steer into a crash barrier. But keeping a level head is
not always easy.

In most cases short of having the Fickle Finger of Fate poised above the
wreckage, I suspect the software would not be inspected after an incident.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain scribbled...

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

Had a Ford Anglia, the split pin holding the brake pedal pivot broke,
the pivot fell out, so I was unable to brake with the pedal lying on the
floor. Turning the engine off worked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 01:00:14 +0100, Artic wrote:

harryagain scribbled...

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant
I wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on
the brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor
having a foot brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death
short of explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

Had a Ford Anglia, the split pin holding the brake pedal pivot broke,
the pivot fell out, so I was unable to brake with the pedal lying on the
floor. Turning the engine off worked.

Certain mechanical failures on the Austin A35/A40 could be nasty, as
there were not two independent braking systems. The handbrake and
hydraulic brake shared many components (there was a single slave cylinder
mounted on the chassis at the rear, which operated the same linkage as
the handbrake).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

Why would thet work?
Another stupid half wit author.
You had a spsrk producing device in every petrol tank. The sender for the
petrol guage.
Just a wiper on a bare resistor.

No air, no bang.
The "empty" bit of the tank is filled with petrol vapour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

"Attempted murder". More half wits.

And just turn off the ignition. Or depress the clutch.
Most people put a little gas on when starting so that would be apparent too
before even setting off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
Lee wrote:
[...]

Well that would just be one wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
On 06/08/2013 17:28, harryagain wrote:
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a
foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

I idly wondered whether crimping a brake line would work, because the
pedal would still feel "right" but I guess the pressure would just open it
back up anyway.

Still leaves the hand brake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 07:02, harryagain wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

For a conviction, it is sufficient that the person carrying out the act
did it with the intent to kill. It is irrelevant whether or not there
was any chance of success.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/08/2013 08:54, Nightjar wrote:

"Attempted murder". More half wits.

For a conviction, it is sufficient that the person carrying out the act
did it with the intent to kill. It is irrelevant whether or not there
was any chance of success.

Colin Bignell

I agree that's the law, but suppose I decide to try to kill a person
just by wishing them dead? I might have the intent to kill, but mere bad
thoughts have never been known to work in the past. You reckon I could
be convicted, even though it ought to be laughed out of court?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 09:29, GB wrote:
On 07/08/2013 08:54, Nightjar wrote:

"Attempted murder". More half wits.

For a conviction, it is sufficient that the person carrying out the act
did it with the intent to kill. It is irrelevant whether or not there
was any chance of success.

Colin Bignell

I agree that's the law, but suppose I decide to try to kill a person
just by wishing them dead? I might have the intent to kill, but mere bad
thoughts have never been known to work in the past. You reckon I could
be convicted, even though it ought to be laughed out of court?

A slight problem of proving the act in that case. However, if it could
be proven that you did and that you genuinely believed it possible to
kill in that way, you could probably be burned as a witch :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message

I agree that's the law, but suppose I decide to try to kill a person
just by wishing them dead? I might have the intent to kill, but mere bad
thoughts have never been known to work in the past. You reckon I could
be convicted, even though it ought to be laughed out of court?

A slight problem of proving the act in that case. However, if it could be
proven that you did and that you genuinely believed it possible to kill in
that way, you could probably be burned as a witch :-)

It's an interesting question though; if you genuinely believe you can kill
someone just by thinking it, and you tried as hard as you could to "think
them dead" in front of witnesses, what would be the legal position? You
intended to kill them, regardless of the reality of your "skills".

My guess would be that you'd be sectioned instead of facing charges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a
foot
brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of
explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

Buy them an electric car and watch them die of terminal boredom. However,
getting anyone but a complete cretin to accept the gift is going to be a
huge
and problem.

lol, someone that stupid would have accidentally killed themselves long ago
by shaving or making a sandwich.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

So how do these new engine related serious crashes happen then where the
electronics are tweaked to make it unable to stop?

IIUC, these "bait cars" they use in the US telly programmes are tampered
with so that they can be stopped by remote control when the thief drives off
in them, I'm sure someone with the relevant skills could do something
similar to make the car unstoppable. I know my car has various "drive by
wire" stuff like the throttle and the semi-auto gear box which are
electrical rather than mechanical. I had a hire car with a push-button
ignition a while ago, so a simple over-ride of that part of the circuit
means you wouldn't be able to turn the ignition off either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a
foot brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of explosives.

Yes, this does tend to assume that the driver manages to get from his semi
in Guildford to a fast winding unfenced downhill road in the French Alps
without using his brakes and noticing that something is amiss.

I think the brake line versus explosives scenario is neccessary in book
plots because it's (relatively) undetectable, and invariably successful
unless it's the car of the "hero", in which case the car is totalled but he
survives. If the car and driver are blown to smithereens with half a ton of
fertiliser in the boot, I don't think it would take the Police/life
insurers/MI5 bosses long to figure out that foul play was afoot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:28:27 PM UTC+1, harry wrote:
Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.

Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I

wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the

brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a foot

brake would kill you.

I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short of

explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

Writing for a technically illiterate readership.

Some chav tried that on a car belonging to one of his neighbours , about 10 years ago ISTR.

The flexible hydraulic hose he cut was not for the braking system, but the suspension.
He may have realised the difference in the short time between the Citroen settling gracefully onto him and his expiry from asphyxiation a short time later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Tuesday 06 August 2013 17:28 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reading one of SWMBO's crime novels.

The victim is murdered by cutting a car brake line.
Though it was a pre dual circuit car I reckon I would know the instant I
wnet to start the engine there was a fault as I always put my foot on the
brake. Even without that, there are few circumstance wher nor having a
foot brake would kill you.
I can't think of a single way to sabotage a car to guarantee death short
of explosives.

Stupid plot. These authors must be like journalists, thick as ****.

And in the films where the car is careering down the hill and the stupid
nonce does not try the gears (and yes, it's a manual).

Easier way is to take an empty syringe with a needle and inject air into a
suitable vein. Death by embolism, nothing to be detected and a tiny puncture
wound unlikely to be noticed. Only theory at the moment.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 2:50:02 PM UTC+1, mark wrote:
snip

Easier way is to take an empty syringe with a needle and inject air into a
suitable vein. Death by embolism, nothing to be detected and a tiny puncture
wound unlikely to be noticed. Only theory at the moment.

That's certainly been done in fiction - something by Dorothy L.Sayers?
I'm sure it's happened accidentally as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 14:50:02 +0100, mark wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

or insulin

Air is usually more readily available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2013 10:50, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message

I agree that's the law, but suppose I decide to try to kill a person
just by wishing them dead? I might have the intent to kill, but mere bad
thoughts have never been known to work in the past. You reckon I could
be convicted, even though it ought to be laughed out of court?

A slight problem of proving the act in that case. However, if it could
be proven that you did and that you genuinely believed it possible to
kill in that way, you could probably be burned as a witch :-)

It's an interesting question though; if you genuinely believe you can
kill someone just by thinking it, and you tried as hard as you could to
"think them dead" in front of witnesses, what would be the legal
position? You intended to kill them, regardless of the reality of your
"skills".

My guess would be that you'd be sectioned instead of facing charges.

Under the Criminal Attempts Act 1981, Section 1

(1) If, with intent to commit an offence to which this section applies,
a person does an act which is more than merely preparatory to the
commission of the offence, he is guilty of attempting to commit the
offence.
(2) A person may be guilty of attempting to commit an offence to which
this section applies even though the facts are such that the commission
of the offence is impossible.

So, in theory, you would be guilty of attempted murder. However, I
suspect that what would happen in practice is that the CPS would have a
good laugh before deciding that prosecuting would serve no useful purpose.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mentalguy2k8
writes

"Nightjar" wrote in message
m...

I agree that's the law, but suppose I decide to try to kill a person
just by wishing them dead? I might have the intent to kill, but mere bad
thoughts have never been known to work in the past. You reckon I could
be convicted, even though it ought to be laughed out of court?

A slight problem of proving the act in that case. However, if it
could be proven that you did and that you genuinely believed it
possible to kill in that way, you could probably be burned as a witch :-)

It's an interesting question though; if you genuinely believe you can
kill someone just by thinking it, and you tried as hard as you could to
"think them dead" in front of witnesses, what would be the legal
position? You intended to kill them, regardless of the reality of your
"skills".

My guess would be that you'd be sectioned instead of facing charges.

Although you might say what you were thinking there is no proof that you
actually were thinking what you said you were thinking.
My guess is that the DPP would decide it was not in the public interest
to mount a prosecution.
--
bert