Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anti roof moss measures

We're getting our roof retiled and it strikes me that if I'm ever going to
go up there and fix something to the roof to suppress moss, it's now or
never.

Are there any good products (like self adhesive copper strips) that folk
would recommend or can anyone recommend a DIY solution?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, June 17, 2013 7:05:53 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

We're getting our roof retiled and it strikes me that if I'm ever going to
go up there and fix something to the roof to suppress moss, it's now or
never.

Are there any good products (like self adhesive copper strips) that folk
would recommend or can anyone recommend a DIY solution?

Tim

Copper, in whatever form's convenient. It should be possible to insinuate some copper wire I expect.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine it would need to be untinned though, and unfortunately in my
experience copper tends to go black and not erode much after a couple of
years and become innefective. I only tried this on a shed roof though.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
On Monday, June 17, 2013 7:05:53 PM UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

We're getting our roof retiled and it strikes me that if I'm ever going
go up there and fix something to the roof to suppress moss, it's now or
never.

Are there any good products (like self adhesive copper strips) that folk
would recommend or can anyone recommend a DIY solution?

Tim

Copper, in whatever form's convenient. It should be possible to insinuate
some copper wire I expect.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

I'd imagine it would need to be untinned though, and unfortunately in
my experience copper tends to go black and not erode much after a
couple of years and become innefective. I only tried this on a shed
roof though.
Brian

Do you also get birds on the ridge? If so then consider having anti-bird
spikes installed and weave some copper wire around them.

Bird crap can really build up and start moss growths.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:41:05 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I'd imagine it would need to be untinned though, and unfortunately in my
experience copper tends to go black and not erode much after a couple of
years and become innefective. I only tried this on a shed roof though.

Which is why there is a need for significantly more use of high sulphur coal for
power generation, with the removal of any scrubbing measures such that we get
the required amount of acid rain to keep the copper clean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2013 19:05, Tim+ wrote:
We're getting our roof retiled and it strikes me that if I'm ever going
to go up there and fix something to the roof to suppress moss, it's now
or never.

Are there any good products (like self adhesive copper strips) that folk
would recommend or can anyone recommend a DIY solution?

Tim

Apart from the cosmetic aspect, why is moss on a roof A Bad Thing?

Birds choose it as a nesting material, presumably for its heat insulation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R.G. Bargy wrote:
On 17/06/2013 19:05, Tim+ wrote:
We're getting our roof retiled and it strikes me that if I'm ever going
to go up there and fix something to the roof to suppress moss, it's now
or never.

Are there any good products (like self adhesive copper strips) that folk
would recommend or can anyone recommend a DIY solution?

Tim

Apart from the cosmetic aspect, why is moss on a roof A Bad Thing?

in our case, it drops down and blocks the gutters & downpipes.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 11:03:43 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
R.G. Bargy wrote:
On 17/06/2013 19:05, Tim+ wrote:
We're getting our roof retiled and it strikes me that if I'm ever going
to go up there and fix something to the roof to suppress moss, it's now
or never.

Are there any good products (like self adhesive copper strips) that folk
would recommend or can anyone recommend a DIY solution?

Tim

Apart from the cosmetic aspect, why is moss on a roof A Bad Thing?

in our case, it drops down and blocks the gutters & downpipes.

On a roof of about 7 - 8 deg. slope it manages to lift the asbestos sheets a
bit at the joins and then water can be blown up and under.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:03:43 AM UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article ,
R.G. Bargy wrote:

Apart from the cosmetic aspect, why is moss on a roof A Bad Thing?

in our case, it drops down and blocks the gutters & downpipes.

It also deflects water running down the roof so that it runs under the tiles, and blocks the drainage routes of each tile.

NT

Moss on Roof The Medway Handyman UK diy 20 October 27th 06 05:19 PM
Roof moss removal fredbloggstwo UK diy 10 February 27th 06 01:22 AM
Moss growing on roof [email protected] Home Repair 9 November 1st 05 08:44 PM
Moss on roof racarson Home Repair 8 November 14th 03 11:46 PM
Moss on roof ROBMURR Home Repair 1 August 12th 03 06:15 AM