Default Moss growing on roof

I cut the tree branches back about 8 feet from the house / roof. I am
still getting moss growth on the shingles. The area would be damp
regardless of the tree that I am reluctant to cut down. Is there a
spray on product of some sort that would stop moss growth?

Roger Taylor

wrote in message
oups.com...
I cut the tree branches back about 8 feet from the house / roof. I am
still getting moss growth on the shingles. The area would be damp
regardless of the tree that I am reluctant to cut down. Is there a
spray on product of some sort that would stop moss growth?

Most big box stores sell Moss-Out or the equivalent, a zinc solution that
kills moss, and is mixed from a concentrate, either using a pump sprayer or
a hose-end sprayer. Just look up - removes moss - on google, for various
brands. I would first try a straw broom to remove the big bits, when the
roof is dry, before you spray the stuff. They say bleach also works, but I
don't know if it would harm your roof material.

m Ransley

Box stores carry a product that is a liquid spray. Also a zinc strip can
also be added to the peak to keep moss away. Moss is a plant I guess
roundup would work. But you realy need more sun.

Amun

wrote in message
oups.com...
I cut the tree branches back about 8 feet from the house / roof. I am
still getting moss growth on the shingles. The area would be damp
regardless of the tree that I am reluctant to cut down. Is there a
spray on product of some sort that would stop moss growth?

Just go buy a bag of regular builders lime.
Most hardwares have it with the concrete mixes.

Sprinkle it over the moss, and in a week most of it will be dead, and the
rain will take it away.
Even the tree huggers can't complain as it's natural.

AMUN

Bob

"Amun" wrote in message .. .

wrote in message
oups.com...
I cut the tree branches back about 8 feet from the house / roof. I am
still getting moss growth on the shingles. The area would be damp
regardless of the tree that I am reluctant to cut down. Is there a
spray on product of some sort that would stop moss growth?

Just go buy a bag of regular builders lime.
Most hardwares have it with the concrete mixes.

Sprinkle it over the moss, and in a week most of it will be dead, and the
rain will take it away.
Even the tree huggers can't complain as it's natural.

A roofer once told me to sprinkle lime on the roof yearly to discourage moss. I've never found it would kill it once
it's there. Maybe if heavily applied.

Bob

Amun

"Bob" wrote in message

"Amun" wrote in message

.. .

wrote in message
oups.com...
I cut the tree branches back about 8 feet from the house / roof. I am
still getting moss growth on the shingles. The area would be damp
regardless of the tree that I am reluctant to cut down. Is there a
spray on product of some sort that would stop moss growth?

Just go buy a bag of regular builders lime.
Most hardwares have it with the concrete mixes.

Sprinkle it over the moss, and in a week most of it will be dead, and

the
rain will take it away.
Even the tree huggers can't complain as it's natural.

A roofer once told me to sprinkle lime on the roof yearly to discourage

moss. I've never found it would kill it once
it's there. Maybe if heavily applied.

Bob

Even if it's a 1/2" thick you just need a bit of a dusting.
Within a few days all the green turns brown, and once it dies the rain and
wind take it off without even loosening any of the shingle covering.

Taking the worst off with a broom usually takes a few years off the life of
the shingles

And as moss usually grows from acidic tree sap, the powder that washes off
onto the grass does that good too.

AMUN

We are a small company that manufacture and supply direct a range of
products for moss removal and prevention. We have the ecological
'Batimoss' to kill the growth and root system over a few days,
'Batiface' to kill the plant more directly over a few minutes (but
don't use on other plants either!). We also have 'Hydromoss', a
sealant to cover the surface and protect it from infiltrating water and
rain (rather like a car wax) which will also prevent any moss regrowth
over a long period of time. All products are designed to not degrade
the surface being treated; this can be a major problem if using 'home
made' alternatives such as bleach. If you want to see more
information, please look at the page: http://www.spcb.co.uk/htm

Protecting roof from moss Mike Faithfull UK diy 9 January 3rd 05 04:32 PM
Mixture for dealing with moss on roof? M.Burns Home Repair 3 April 22nd 04 08:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Moss on roof racarson Home Repair 8 November 14th 03 11:46 PM