Posted to uk.d-i-y
fredbloggstwo

Default Roof moss removal

Hi all

We are going to have a first floor extension put on the house which includes
a new part to the roof. I am thinking about doing something to get rid of
the moss that grows on the existing roof (while the guys are up there) and
to prevent it growing on the new part.

Zinc or Copper ribbon seem to be the thing to use, but will either of these
remove the existing moss over time or am I into a major exercise to clean it
off first and then prevent it growing back?

Also which one, Zinc or Copper, is the most effective and eco friendly

Thanks, Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

fredbloggstwo wrote:

I am thinking about doing something to get rid of the moss that grows
on the existing roof and to prevent it growing on the new part.

What is nurturing the growth?

If it is a tree then is it growing too close to the foundations of your
house? If it is water ingress, what is trapping it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel

Moss Killer is now banned by powers that be' However Jeyes Fluid
sprayed on top, will kill it dead.
You'd need to scrape/hose off.

fredbloggstwo wrote:
Hi all

We are going to have a first floor extension put on the house which includes
a new part to the roof. I am thinking about doing something to get rid of
the moss that grows on the existing roof (while the guys are up there) and
to prevent it growing on the new part.

Zinc or Copper ribbon seem to be the thing to use, but will either of these
remove the existing moss over time or am I into a major exercise to clean it
off first and then prevent it growing back?

Also which one, Zinc or Copper, is the most effective and eco friendly

Thanks, Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fredbloggstwo

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

fredbloggstwo wrote:

I am thinking about doing something to get rid of the moss that grows
on the existing roof and to prevent it growing on the new part.

What is nurturing the growth?

If it is a tree then is it growing too close to the foundations of your
house? If it is water ingress, what is trapping it?

I do not know what is nurturing it. It seems to be a natural phenomenon in
this area as all of the houses are affected. There are certainly no trees
in close proximity to the house.

Mie

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Broadback

fredbloggstwo wrote:
Hi all

We are going to have a first floor extension put on the house which includes
a new part to the roof. I am thinking about doing something to get rid of
the moss that grows on the existing roof (while the guys are up there) and
to prevent it growing on the new part.

Zinc or Copper ribbon seem to be the thing to use, but will either of these
remove the existing moss over time or am I into a major exercise to clean it
off first and then prevent it growing back?

Also which one, Zinc or Copper, is the most effective and eco friendly

Thanks, Mike

I am more that happy to leave the moss on mine, however the birds are
not. every morning there are dozens of moss balls (pun intended) on my
paths. this is the first year it has happened, I suspect it has
something to do with the fact that we have had no heavy rain here since
before Aaron Pilot got his wings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Copper is best.Fix a single strand along the roof above the moss and
through time it will kill it off.Best source for copper wire is a bit
of 2.5 single core and strip the insulation off.Or you could spend big
bucks on copper ridging to do the same thing.
regards,Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Gel wrote:
Moss Killer is now banned by powers that be' However Jeyes Fluid
sprayed on top, will kill it dead.
You'd need to scrape/hose off.

The 'professional' roof treatment companies use big mofo pressure washers to
clean it first. You would have to hire something with at least a 9hp diesel
or petrol engine to get enough welly to do the job properly.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
k...
Gel wrote:
Moss Killer is now banned by powers that be' However Jeyes Fluid
sprayed on top, will kill it dead.
You'd need to scrape/hose off.

The 'professional' roof treatment companies use big mofo pressure washers
to clean it first. You would have to hire something with at least a 9hp
diesel or petrol engine to get enough welly to do the job properly.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

I seem to recall reading of this creating serious problems to many types of
roof tiles. - removing the looser aggregates and rendering them more porous.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
keith_765

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi all

We are going to have a first floor extension put on the house which

includes
a new part to the roof. I am thinking about doing something to get rid of
the moss that grows on the existing roof (while the guys are up there) and
to prevent it growing on the new part.

Zinc or Copper ribbon seem to be the thing to use, but will either of

these
remove the existing moss over time or am I into a major exercise to clean

it
off first and then prevent it growing back?

Also which one, Zinc or Copper, is the most effective and eco friendly

Thanks, Mike

If its a concrete tiled roof of more than 15 years its the cement degrading
and releasing the sand and gravel. If its a hand made clay tiled roof, its
the air pocket that fill up with dirt over the years, or it could be a
combination of the two plus a low pitch roof.
If you decide to pressure hose it off, don't point the hose up the roof or
you will flood the roof underneath. Come off quite easily with a garden hoe
and a builders stiff yard brush. Then you will have to do this again next
year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roly

wrote:

Copper is best.Fix a single strand along the roof above the moss and
through time it will kill it off.Best source for copper wire is a bit
of 2.5 single core and strip the insulation off.

Oddly enough, I was intending to do exactly that to my garage roof later
this week. However the roof is corrugated. Clearly, the copper wire
needs to follow the contours, so as to lie in the valleys and contact
any rain water, but what's the best way of fastening it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

fredbloggstwo wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

I am thinking about doing something to get rid of the moss that grows
on the existing roof and to prevent it growing on the new part.

What is nurturing the growth?

I do not know what is nurturing it. It seems to be a natural phenomenon in
this area as all of the houses are affected. There are certainly no trees
in close proximity to the house.

Got any pictures? I had a bit of a spat on another newsgroup about the
effects of wood and coal fuels as opposed to the more common central
heating fuels on the flora of roofs and gutters.

The only other thing I can think of that will supply enough nutriment
for life on a roof is an abundance of bird dung. There has to plenty of
misty rain too of course. With roofs, little and continual is to be
desired.

Or not as the case may be.

Removal of Moss on roof - Lichenite RzB UK diy 12 March 9th 05 07:35 PM
Protecting roof from moss Mike Faithfull UK diy 9 January 3rd 05 04:32 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Moss on roof racarson Home Repair 8 November 14th 03 11:46 PM