Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moss on Roof

Hi All

How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?

Where do you run the copper wire?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:36:56 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

|Hi All
|
|How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?
|
|Where do you run the copper wire?

Copper dissolves in rain water, the resulting solution is poisonous the
moss.

Not tried it myself :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Runs of copper along roof ridges. Copper salts formed with rain water.
Washes down over moss. Moss either dies or doesn't start growing there.
No idea what salt is formed or why moss doesn't like that particular
salt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi All

How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?

Where do you run the copper wire?

Tried it on my last house, I once hung copper stripped from 2.5mm mains wire
on the roof ridge in order
to reduce moss on my last house. Did reduce on the tiles nearest to the wire
but bugger all reduction else where, so not too sure if copper really works.
Went a nice shade of green after a while.

Easier to let moss build up and brush off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?

Where do you run the copper wire?

Tried it on my last house, I once hung copper stripped from 2.5mm
mains wire on the roof ridge in order
to reduce moss on my last house. Did reduce on the tiles nearest to
the wire but bugger all reduction else where, so not too sure if
copper really works. Went a nice shade of green after a while.

Reason I ask. The client is a pensioner living in a bungalow and the
gutters block with moss every few months.
I don't want to keep going back to clear them every couple of months so I'm
after a semi permanant solution.

If I completely remove all the moss it will be quite a big job so I'd like
it to last as long as possible.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:49:33 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Reason I ask. The client is a pensioner living in a bungalow and the
gutters block with moss every few months.
I don't want to keep going back to clear them every couple of months so I'm
after a semi permanant solution.

If I completely remove all the moss it will be quite a big job so I'd like
it to last as long as possible.

AFAIK they say a wire is too little, and to use a strip of copper flashing. More
surface area, hence more leaching.

I have used a solution of a few tablespoons of copper sulphate in a two-gallon
sprayer. Spray it on the moss, wait a few weeks for it to turn black, and then
get it off.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?

Where do you run the copper wire?

Tried it on my last house, I once hung copper stripped from 2.5mm
mains wire on the roof ridge in order
to reduce moss on my last house. Did reduce on the tiles nearest to
the wire but bugger all reduction else where, so not too sure if
copper really works. Went a nice shade of green after a while.

Reason I ask. The client is a pensioner living in a bungalow and the
gutters block with moss every few months.
I don't want to keep going back to clear them every couple of months so I'm
after a semi permanant solution.

If I completely remove all the moss it will be quite a big job so I'd like
it to last as long as possible.

My roof is slates, each held in place by a copper rivet. THe whole
roof apart from the actual copper rivet is covered in moss and lichen.
It doesnt work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Ian_m wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...

Hi All

How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?

Where do you run the copper wire?

Tried it on my last house, I once hung copper stripped from 2.5mm
mains wire on the roof ridge in order
to reduce moss on my last house. Did reduce on the tiles nearest to
the wire but bugger all reduction else where, so not too sure if
copper really works. Went a nice shade of green after a while.

If you want to use T&E you could run a wire across every 2'.

Reason I ask. The client is a pensioner living in a bungalow and the
gutters block with moss every few months.
I don't want to keep going back to clear them every couple of months so I'm
after a semi permanant solution.

If I completely remove all the moss it will be quite a big job so I'd like
it to last as long as possible.

Copper flashing lasts 100 years, but is certainly more money than
lead. Thin T&E isnt so robust, but if you've got several such wires up
there, even if half were to go it should still work..

My roof is slates, each held in place by a copper rivet. THe whole
roof apart from the actual copper rivet is covered in moss and lichen.
It doesnt work.

Unless there is a serious problem with your roof, rain doesnt wash over
the copper fixing.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
[...]

But if the slates are laid conventionally the copper rivets (probably
actually nails) of a lower row of tiles will be covered by the overlap
of the row above and no nails should be exposed hence no leaching of
copper salts down the roof ! If the nails (rivets) are exposed, then
so are the holes they go though, and the roof will leak like a sieve.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
[...]

lichen is not moss tho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Ian_m wrote:
[...]

YOu dont know how slates are attached I think
There are two nails which are protected from rain and a rivet that
isnt.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
[...]

Moss is the one that blocks my downpipes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:08:21 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
[...]

Further to answer to Meow. Slates have 3 holes, two about 2/3 way up
at the sides which you can nail some copper nails in and one at the
bottom in the middle. With that one a large rivet is inverted and slid
up between the two slates below and the wire part of the rivet enters
the hole from below and its bent down to secure the tile.
Look like this:
http://www.rylandswire.com/discrivets.htm
I dont know what they are talking about with "penultimate row", as
each tile has one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, marvelus wrote:
Slates have 3 holes, two about 2/3 way up
at the sides which you can nail some copper nails in and one at the
bottom in the middle. With that one a large rivet is inverted and slid
up between the two slates below and the wire part of the rivet enters
the hole from below and its bent down to secure the tile.
Look like this:
http://www.rylandswire.com/discrivets.htm
I dont know what they are talking about with "penultimate row", as
each tile has one.

This might be a regional variation. Round here the slates have just the
first two holes you mention.

Looking at the web page you quote it's clear that those rivets are
intended for top row slates only. Most slates are kept in place partly
by the weight of two tiles in the row above. However, for slates in the
top row, there is no row above. Hence the idea of clipping the top row
slates to the second-to-top row ("penultimate" row) with those rivets.

Of course it's possible that in some parts of the country *all* slates
are fixed that way, but I've never seen it.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
[...]

I think what they mean is that only the top row NEEDS this as the lower
slates all have other slates sitting on top of them.

I have NEVER seen those rivets used on slated rooves..all the ones I
have seen have tow holes at the top only, that are clouted to the battens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
[...]

Sorry all, I meant asbestos / synthetic slates. I ask for 2' by 1'
slates at the BM and thats all they have.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I can face the ladders, and I'll
try a length of copper wire for a while as an experiment to settle the
argument.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The slates you refer to with three holes, are fibre cement man made slates,
known as Eternite or Fasnet. The two upper holes are for the fixing nails
and the bottom hole is for the copper rivet. This rivet is there to stop
the slate from curling up in hot weather and wind up lift, as these slates
are not ridged as natural slate. They are noted for attracting the growth of
moss in between the side joints on a low pitched roof. This is caused by the
ingress of dirt holding in the side joint.