Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus marvelus is offline

Default Moss on Roof

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:08:21 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

"marvelus" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:49:33 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Ian_m wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message .uk...
Hi All

How does this 'copper wire' malarky work to stop moss on a roof?

Where do you run the copper wire?

Tried it on my last house, I once hung copper stripped from 2.5mm
mains wire on the roof ridge in order
to reduce moss on my last house. Did reduce on the tiles nearest

the wire but bugger all reduction else where, so not too sure if
copper really works. Went a nice shade of green after a while.

Reason I ask. The client is a pensioner living in a bungalow and

the
gutters block with moss every few months.
I don't want to keep going back to clear them every couple of

months so I'm
after a semi permanant solution.

If I completely remove all the moss it will be quite a big job so

I'd like
it to last as long as possible.

My roof is slates, each held in place by a copper rivet. THe whole
roof apart from the actual copper rivet is covered in moss and

lichen.
It doesnt work.

But if the slates are laid conventionally the copper rivets (probably
actually nails) of a lower row of tiles will be covered by the overlap
of the row above and no nails should be exposed hence no leaching of
copper salts down the roof ! If the nails (rivets) are exposed, then
so are the holes they go though, and the roof will leak like a sieve.

AWEM

Further to answer to Meow. Slates have 3 holes, two about 2/3 way up
at the sides which you can nail some copper nails in and one at the
bottom in the middle. With that one a large rivet is inverted and slid
up between the two slates below and the wire part of the rivet enters
the hole from below and its bent down to secure the tile.
Look like this:
http://www.rylandswire.com/discrivets.htm
I dont know what they are talking about with "penultimate row", as
each tile has one.