Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2 Topfield TF5800 PVRs free to good home.

As subject.

Reading the threads on soldering irons I was reminded just how many
posters have close links to current technology and the necessary repair
skills.

Taking up space in my office (2 years now!) are two *broken* Topfield
PVRs.

I replaced the bulging capacitors and got one of them working.
Overconfidence led to an attempted software upgrade which failed.

Realistically they are going to end up at the WEE bin.

Any interest? Mid Herts.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
As subject.

Reading the threads on soldering irons I was reminded just how many
posters have close links to current technology and the necessary repair
skills.

Taking up space in my office (2 years now!) are two *broken* Topfield
PVRs.

I replaced the bulging capacitors and got one of them working.
Overconfidence led to an attempted software upgrade which failed.

Realistically they are going to end up at the WEE bin.

Any interest? Mid Herts.

Hi Tim, I'd be interested as both myself and my brother have one, so
spares could be useful. I'm not sure if your email is good - mine is if
you follow the anti-spam instructions at the bottom.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2013 09:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
As subject.

Reading the threads on soldering irons I was reminded just how many
posters have close links to current technology and the necessary repair
skills.

I replaced the bulging capacitors and got one of them working.
Overconfidence led to an attempted software upgrade which failed.

It's not just the bulging capacitors that fail, many show no physical
signs of failure. The current recommendation is to replace 13 on a 5800
(fewer on a 5810).
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

There are at least 3 different ways of upgrading software (firmware) one
of which is now a Windows based installer. The Toppy.org.uk Firmware
Loader can be found at:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi
The recommended firmware found on the site contains many 10s of bug fixes.

Most Toppy's will work again after a capacitor replacement. Sometimes
the hard disk will fail after the power supplies have gone well out of
specification. Other faults are relatively rare - but usually easily
fixable.
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults

Realistically they are going to end up at the WEE bin.

Offer them on the Toppy UK forums and someone will have them.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/index.php

I'm sure that in a short time there will be 2 working 5800s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan
writes
On 02/04/2013 09:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
As subject.

Reading the threads on soldering irons I was reminded just how many
posters have close links to current technology and the necessary repair
skills.

I replaced the bulging capacitors and got one of them working.
Overconfidence led to an attempted software upgrade which failed.

It's not just the bulging capacitors that fail, many show no physical
signs of failure. The current recommendation is to replace 13 on a
5800 (fewer on a 5810).
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

Yes. I got kits from Andrew Fraser and carefully followed the
instructions.

A tuner failure was thought to be caused by a failed switching
transistor. The first supplied was *stolen* by the GPO's sorting
machinery. And the second physically too small for my soldering
tackle/skills.

There are at least 3 different ways of upgrading software (firmware)
one of which is now a Windows based installer. The Toppy.org.uk
Firmware Loader can be found at:
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi
The recommended firmware found on the site contains many 10s of bug fixes.

Yes. I downloaded the upgrade stuff from the Toppy site but cocked up
the sequence of installation. My problem is that there is no TV aerial
within convenient reach of the desktop PC and both domestic TV's are too
large to lump about. The real issue now is that new PVRs with bigger
hard drives have been purchased plus most of my recorded Westerns have
been re-recorded so I feel I can let them go:-)

Most Toppy's will work again after a capacitor replacement. Sometimes
the hard disk will fail after the power supplies have gone well out of
specification. Other faults are relatively rare - but usually easily
fixable.
https://sites.google.com/site/andyfr...iew-and-satell
ite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults

The hard drives are OK; been swopped over a few times:-)

Realistically they are going to end up at the WEE bin.

Offer them on the Toppy UK forums and someone will have them.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/index.php

I'm sure that in a short time there will be 2 working 5800s

Dave Plowman was first to show interest so we are exploring postage
issues.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2013 09:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan
writes

A tuner failure was thought to be caused by a failed switching
transistor. The first supplied was *stolen* by the GPO's sorting
machinery. And the second physically too small for my soldering
tackle/skills.

For info:
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/toppy_tuner/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan
writes
On 03/04/2013 09:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan
writes

A tuner failure was thought to be caused by a failed switching
transistor. The first supplied was *stolen* by the GPO's sorting
machinery. And the second physically too small for my soldering
tackle/skills.

For info:
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/toppy_tuner/

Yes! I quickly discovered surface mount trannies are beyond my
skills/tackle.

I bought a 5810 which turns out to have it's own idiosyncrasies but no
cures:-)

--
Tim Lamb