Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable thief burned

Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Dumb Britain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message

Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052...

Pure Darwininsm.

There is a pic at a local sub station where I used to go to work on lorry
cranes of a Pikey melted to the side of a transformer complete with the bolt
croppers still in his semi skeletal hands.
Dumb **** of the year award (Posthumously!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

quote
Glynn Wales, chairman of the bench in Darlington, said: €œThese are
serious matters."
/quote

So serious that they gave the f'ckr a suspended sentence so no judicial
punishment for the offence at all, I despair.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The man is clearly a major criminal:

He takes 31 tables every day...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

I see the article says that he has transferred his activities to stealing
tables.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2013 18:32, Bert Coules wrote:
The man is clearly a major criminal:

He takes 31 tables every day...

Maybe he's the chairman of the local thieves association and likes to
table a motion ... or motion tables at least.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the journo get
for that one :-):

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the journo get
for that one :-):

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the
journo get
for that one :-):

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2013 21:09, polygonum wrote:
On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the
journo get
for that one :-):

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

Is that the current usage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes
On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

Think you're right, I was assuming that named after bloke would inherit
the proper noun status but I was wrong.

Happy to head off any potential conflict . . .
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2013 20:43, fred wrote:
In article , polygonum
writes
On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

Think you're right, I was assuming that named after bloke would inherit
the proper noun status but I was wrong.

Happy to head off any potential conflict . . .

Huh! Boring... :-)

Had you been writing about German, you would have been right, and I
would have been wrong:

'The CGPM rules state that the names of units follow the grammatical
rules associated with common nouns: in English and in French they start
with a lowercase letter (e.g., newton, hertz, pascal), even when the
symbol for the unit begins with a capital letter. This also applies to
"degrees Celsius", since "degree" is the unit. In German, however, the
names of units, just like all German nouns, start with capital letters.'

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 16:03:30 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Definitely in a bad way if he has to take 31 tables (sic) every day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
On 21/02/2013 20:43, fred wrote:
In article , polygonum
writes
On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

Think you're right, I was assuming that named after bloke would inherit
the proper noun status but I was wrong.

Happy to head off any potential conflict . . .

Huh! Boring... :-)

Had you been writing about German, you would have been right, and I
would have been wrong:

The Spannung's killing me

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2013 22:27, geoff wrote:
In message , polygonum
writes
On 21/02/2013 20:43, fred wrote:
In article , polygonum
writes
On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

Think you're right, I was assuming that named after bloke would inherit
the proper noun status but I was wrong.

Happy to head off any potential conflict . . .

Huh! Boring... :-)

Had you been writing about German, you would have been right, and I
would have been wrong:

The Spannung's killing me

Das war ein gutes Wortspiel.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:29:59 +0000, ARW wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the journo
get for that one :-):

The journo's mistake is that it's amps that go through you not volts! The
volts are across you.

TOJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the journo
get for that one :-):

The journo's mistake is that it's amps that go through you not volts! The
volts are across you.

I suspect it was the arc-flash that got him.
Very unlikely to still be around if he got 11kV across him.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 February 2013 20:01:24 UTC, fred wrote:

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The real outrage is that you can't send Volts 'through' anything, only Amps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 00:11, Arty Effem wrote:
On Thursday, 21 February 2013 20:01:24 UTC, fred wrote:

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The real outrage is that you can't send Volts 'through' anything, only Amps.

You can induce volts through many things without any current flowing
through them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:12:18 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

I suspect it was the arc-flash that got him.

Very unlikely to still be around if he got 11kV across him.

And it was a 50/50 chance that he got 6.3kV to earth or 11kv between phases.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday 21 February 2013 23:12 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...hief-left-red-

face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as
well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the journo
get for that one :-):

The journo's mistake is that it's amps that go through you not volts!
The volts are across you.

I suspect it was the arc-flash that got him.
Very unlikely to still be around if he got 11kV across him.

My dad was in the burns unit back in the 60's with another LEB engineer.
This man had taken an 11kV voltage reading at an isolatable test point in a
substation (bare metal probes, HV meter).

He forgot to throw the test point isolator before grabbing both probes with
both hands.

The theory was that the arc had flashed over his skin, hand to hand largely
not going through him. Needless to say he was a bit fried...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:22:10 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

He is a reformed man and has a job with a local bus company.
He's a conductor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 10:59, Onetap wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:22:10 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

He is a reformed man and has a job with a local bus company.
He's a conductor.

Thought you were going to say he had joined the police...

..... there is a joke there if you look for it.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 11:03, polygonum wrote:
On 22/02/2013 10:59, Onetap wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:22:10 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

He is a reformed man and has a job with a local bus company.
He's a conductor.

Thought you were going to say he had joined the police...

.... there is a joke there if you look for it.

Only if its the poleish police.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 13:00, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/02/2013 11:03, polygonum wrote:
On 22/02/2013 10:59, Onetap wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:22:10 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

He is a reformed man and has a job with a local bus company.
He's a conductor.

Thought you were going to say he had joined the police...

.... there is a joke there if you look for it.

Only if its the poleish police.

Only ordinary coppers.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 09:00, Broadland Wanderer wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:12:18 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

I suspect it was the arc-flash that got him.

Very unlikely to still be around if he got 11kV across him.

And it was a 50/50 chance that he got 6.3kV to earth or 11kv between phases.

If you are cutting through a multicore cable you would be unlikely to
touch two cores.
If its a single core cable you would be unlikely to touch another phase
at the same time so 11kV is to earth is more likely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 22, 2013 1:03:59 PM UTC, dennis@home wrote:

If you are cutting through a multicore cable you would be unlikely to

touch two cores.

If its a single core cable you would be unlikely to touch another phase

at the same time so 11kV is to earth is more likely.

Except 11kV is Phase to Phase. 6.3kV phase to earth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 22, 2013 9:22:10 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
snip
My dad was in the burns unit back in the 60's with another LEB engineer.
This man had taken an 11kV voltage reading at an isolatable test point in a
substation (bare metal probes, HV meter).
He forgot to throw the test point isolator before grabbing both probes with

both hands.

The theory was that the arc had flashed over his skin, hand to hand largely
not going through him. Needless to say he was a bit fried...

Some time ago I was doing an installation in Gibraltar (fibre optics, not electrical).
Just before I arrived they'd had an accident in the dockyard. A jointer had prepared an 11kV cable for jointing - isolation, earthing, and he'd marked the point to cut with tape. He'd then gone away and left the cutting to his assistant, who proceeded to take his hacksaw and attack the *other* 11kv cable which was running parallel to the one with the marker on. He was very lucky and survived, with burns where the metal had been vaporised and ejected from the cut. I think he lost all the hair on his head. They never found the hacksaw blade...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Great stuff.

I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his treatment as

well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the journo

get for that one :-):

The journo's mistake is that it's amps that go through you not volts! The

volts are across you.

No the volts were across him :-)

Which obviuosly caused a rasin of the currant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:03:40 AM UTC, polygonum wrote:

.... there is a joke there if you look for it.

Lots.
It was a phase he was going through, but now he'll be able to resist temptation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 4:44*pm, "Nthkentman" wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" *wrote in message

Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.http://www.mirror.co..uk/news/uk-new...d-face-1708052...

Pure Darwininsm.

In completely the wrong direction, unless you know the "accident" left
him infertile.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 13:53, Onetap wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 11:03:40 AM UTC, polygonum wrote:

.... there is a joke there if you look for it.

Lots.
It was a phase he was going through, but now he'll be able to resist temptation.

And I thought we'd moved away from Red for Live!

(Perhaps he'd have appreciated becoming a smurf...)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 22 February 2013 13:23 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

In a similar vein my dad was supervising a jointer connecting streetlamps.
This was central London, Paddington IIRC.

Anyway, they were working to maps and they both knew there was an HV and an
LV cable next to each other. They looked the same, being lead-paper. No
bright red sheath to give it away.

Anyway, dad went to get a sandwich and the jointer should have stopped work
and done the same, but for some reason decided to carry on and get another
joint in.

Dad got back and the jointer said "I've just peeled the lead serving from
the cable and my fingers are tingling on the paper..." Bearing in mind he is
kneeling on a rubber mat too.

Everything dropped, maps examined. The next joint was after a driveway and
the cables had crossed reversing positions.

HV off, HV jointer sent for...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
"dennis@home" writes:
On 22/02/2013 09:00, Broadland Wanderer wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:12:18 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

I suspect it was the arc-flash that got him.

Very unlikely to still be around if he got 11kV across him.

And it was a 50/50 chance that he got 6.3kV to earth or 11kv between phases.

If you are cutting through a multicore cable you would be unlikely to
touch two cores.
If its a single core cable you would be unlikely to touch another phase
at the same time so 11kV is to earth is more likely.

The 11kV cables I've seen (single or multicore) all have an earthed
shield. Often it's very thin (much thinner than SWA armour), and it
can't be steel on single core cable (has to be non-magnetic), but it's
just there to guarantee an earth fault if the cable is cut, to trip
out the upstream earth leakage breakers. That will probably reduce
the chance of a direct electrocution, but it's perfect fuel to form
the arc-flash plasma, which is basically a bomb going off in your
face.

If you're still holding the cut end when the recloser operates (or
it's laying on you or on the ground near you), then you would likely
be electrocuted. He may be lucky if the arc flash blow him clear of
the cable end, or the fault current whipped the cable away from him.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 22, 2013 3:03:53 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some valid comments.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, but being lazy and not making myself clear. Yes, it was probably the flashover that got him, but there was a 50/50 chance that it was 6.3kV to earth rather than '11kV' as so often reported in the media.

Your comments also put me in mind of an instance where fairly long lengths of lv s/c cables had been laid in steel pipes installed by a builder. I can't remember the full detail, but I think it was a supply from a transformer, probably 500 or 800kVA, into a factory. Hysteresis currents in the pipes melted the insulation on the cables, to catastrophic effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

polygonum wrote:
On 21/02/2013 20:01, fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
John Rumm wrote:
On 21/02/2013 16:03, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Great stuff.
I suspect he might be stupid enough to do that again.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-face-1708052

Shame the judge did not order him to pay for some of his
treatment as well...

"sending 11,000 volts through Wayne Houfe" - how long should the
journo get
for that one :-):

Outrage, no capital V on Volts!

The abbreviation is V but the name is volt, so far as I know.

(And if I am wrong, charge me.)

What with, Coulomb's law?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2013 13:17, Broadland Wanderer wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 1:03:59 PM UTC, dennis@home wrote:

If you are cutting through a multicore cable you would be unlikely to

touch two cores.

If its a single core cable you would be unlikely to touch another phase

at the same time so 11kV is to earth is more likely.

Except 11kV is Phase to Phase. 6.3kV phase to earth

Oh well, I must learn to proof read.

A Thief Visits Sonny Woodworking 1 December 4th 12 03:52 PM
Thief Aware! HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 5 November 18th 11 02:31 PM
Thief Aware! HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 4 November 17th 11 09:33 PM
Teens bust pedophile car thief Traci Steele Electronics Repair 0 June 8th 10 08:37 PM
Stopping a thief Nano Home Ownership 20 March 26th 06 02:52 PM