Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Novel supermarket lighting

I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 21:36, Graham. wrote:
I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

Wow - saved a whole penny!

How new is the store? Certainly ours (which is not exactly old) has
conventional fluorescents.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:43:27 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

On 08/01/2013 21:36, Graham. wrote:
I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

Wow - saved a whole penny!

How new is the store? Certainly ours (which is not exactly old) has
conventional fluorescents.

Leek, Staffordshire. Not open yet. Next week I think.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:36:04 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

Presumably the bit we can see is narrow and just hangs down? Like edge
illuminated emergency exit signs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:05:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:36:04 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

Presumably the bit we can see is narrow and just hangs down? Like edge
illuminated emergency exit signs.

Yes, exactly like that and I doubt if they will resist the temptation
to use some them as signage.

Here is another angle

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

What the camera can't show is just how much brighter they look from
directly underneath. The distent ones are very easy on the eye.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:36:04 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:
I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job

It sure looks like linear fluorescent, which make far more business sense than LED for general lighting.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2013 21:36, Graham. wrote:
I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

Wondering if, regardless of the actual light source, they are really an
improved diffuser? In our JS the lights initially appear to be good and
(other than the hanging down bit) similarly fitted to yours and at a
similar height, etc. The light down the aisles quite well, but the
ceiling has a much less even effect than yours.

Also, it would be a damn site easier to wipe down a bit of plastic than
to try to clean a classic diffuser.

Maybe the same fitting can take fluorescent or strip LED? That might
need an improved diffuser.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 8, 9:36*pm, Graham. wrote:
I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

You can buy replacement LED tubes that fit in the conventional
fluorescent fitting. You have to dis all the control gear inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 16:12:12 -0800 (PST), wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

It sure looks like linear fluorescent, which make far more business
sense than LED for general lighting.

Doesn't look like much space in the box at the top to shove a tube. I
don't think a T8 would fit at least not without the box being very snug
and you need space around a tube to bounce the light that is being
radiated in the "wrong" direction into the edge of dangly diffuser.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

Why not ask 'em?
--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:47:57 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 16:12:12 -0800 (PST), wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

It sure looks like linear fluorescent, which make far more business
sense than LED for general lighting.

Doesn't look like much space in the box at the top to shove a tube. I
don't think a T8 would fit at least not without the box being very snug
and you need space around a tube to bounce the light that is being
radiated in the "wrong" direction into the edge of dangly diffuser.

thinner tubes would fit with space. With such a distant view its hard to tell much detail, but there are certainly ways to redirect the light from T8s or T12s without space by the side, such as by reflecting light above down into the edge of the sheet glass.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, harry writes

You can buy replacement LED tubes that fit in the conventional
fluorescent fitting. You have to dis all the control gear inside.

I've been very impressed with some of the LED replacements for fluoro
tubes that I've seen. In fittings with a shiny reflector, they've been
fitted pointing down, and I wondered if they would be better fitted
pointing upwards to reduce direct glare (they're *bright*).

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote in
:

In article
.com, harry writes

You can buy replacement LED tubes that fit in the conventional
fluorescent fitting. You have to dis all the control gear inside.

I've been very impressed with some of the LED replacements for fluoro
tubes that I've seen. In fittings with a shiny reflector, they've been
fitted pointing down, and I wondered if they would be better fitted
pointing upwards to reduce direct glare (they're *bright*).

I think that the optics of LEDs lead us to think they are brighter that
they really are. We are trying to compare a bright small source (LEDS) with
a larger and more diffused source (Others). The real test I guess is to
compare the light reflected off the illuminated surfaces over the
illuminated areas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2013 08:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 16:12:12 -0800 (PST), wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

It sure looks like linear fluorescent, which make far more business
sense than LED for general lighting.

Doesn't look like much space in the box at the top to shove a tube. I
don't think a T8 would fit at least not without the box being very snug
and you need space around a tube to bounce the light that is being
radiated in the "wrong" direction into the edge of dangly diffuser.

I thought they might have T5 tubes in them.

If you wrapped the diffuser around the tube and put a reflector on top
you would get most of the light out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays?

Could be the same principle as edge-lit LED backlights on monitors.
Stripping a couple revealed a thick perspex panel that was dimpled
like buggery at a dimple/dot pitch of 1mm. In these ones the edge
lights were CCFls but the same idea would work with LEDs.
I still have the dimpled sheets, and that gives me an idea for a (now,
not-so) novel light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:47:41 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

Leek, Staffordshire. Not open yet. Next week I think.

I found this using google:
http://www.leek-news.co.uk/News/40m-...s-08012013.htm

Near the bottom it says: "The new store also features many green
initiatives including LED lighting throughout – the first Sainsbury’s
in the country to be built with such a feature."

If it doesn't open until next week, how did you get in to take the
photo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 23:49:13 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham. disturbed my reverie and wrote:

What the camera can't show is just how much brighter they look from
directly underneath. The distent ones are very easy on the eye.

Ah that's a better view. Looks like they are using the glass/Perspex
as a wave-guide using internal reflection to get most of the light
down to the floor with enough leakage for ambient light.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Leek, Staffordshire. Not open yet. Next week I think.

I found this using google:
http://www.leek-news.co.uk/News/40m-...s-08012013.htm
Near the bottom it says: "The new store also features many green
initiatives including LED lighting throughout – the first Sainsbury’s
in the country to be built with such a feature."
If it doesn't open until next week, how did you get in to take the
photo

Why am I imagining T5 tubes with a 40mW LED at each end?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:40:35 +0000, Norman wrote:
Near the bottom it says: "The new store also features many green
initiatives including LED lighting throughout – the first Sainsbury’s

in
the country to be built with such a feature."

Green lights? That's going to look horrible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Leek, Staffordshire. Not open yet. Next week I think.

I found this using google:
http://www.leek-news.co.uk/News/40m-...s-08012013.htm

Near the bottom it says: "The new store also features many green
initiatives including LED lighting throughout – the first Sainsbury’s
in the country to be built with such a feature."

If it doesn't open until next week, how did you get in to take the
photo

Doing some IT work.

If it is LED it's very good, I had no issues with the lighting level,
uniformity, or colour temperature. Andrew Gabriel has just responded
to a post of mine in another group, I'll ask him to come here and give
his expert comments.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. writes:
I saw these in a new Sainsbury's store.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/8...ream/lightbox/

Are they LED arrays? I'm not sure. Whatever they are they do the job
well.

I suspect they are GE Lumination LED Luminaires, possibly the EL series.
They're advertised on the back cover of February Lux Magazine (lighting
trade press). The high res picture on Lux Magazine looks exactly like
your photo, but unfortunately the rather poor pictures on GE's website
don't look exactly the same.

--
Andrew Gabriel

5m of CAT5 and Supermarket anti theft alarm. Graham. UK diy 10 September 10th 11 12:09 PM
[OT] Supermarket shitlists fred UK diy 39 August 13th 10 11:07 PM
OT Supermarket Trolleys mark UK diy 63 April 10th 09 02:05 PM
FASHION AND STYLE online supermarket business one way Home Repair 0 January 16th 08 01:27 PM
Very Important Information About Your Supermarket! [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 15th 05 04:54 PM