Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT new pc/lappy info sources to guide my buying?

used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Try this site as well:http://www.techradar.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Usually John Rumm:-).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:01:32 +0000, Bob H wrote:

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Try this site as well:http://www.techradar.com/

You could post your specific requirements here or uk.comp.homebuilt.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of supplies.

My advice is to get a desktop unless you need portability. Laptops
are still less reliable than desktops.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Try this site as well:http://www.techradar.com/

You could post your specific requirements here or uk.comp.homebuilt.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of supplies.

My advice is to get a desktop unless you need portability. *Laptops
are still less reliable than desktops.

Requirements - basically just a "once every 5/6/7 years" catch up
purchase - nothing "mission critical", intensive, no gaming, just
boring old Office, photo editing, web, email etc

Current desktop is archaic, runs Win XP, struggles with web browsing,
rest is acceptable (just) using "period" versions of Excel, Word etc.

Probly after a new monitor too, current 15" flatscreen works fine but
feels somewhat small...
Will re-use keyboard, mouse etc, presume IDE CD/DVD burners etc are
now obsolete?

Budget £500 max??

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

Budget? £300??

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 02:43:27 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
[...]

A low end machine from a good maker would be suitable, I think. I've
just ordered a barebones PC from CCL. I'm sure they can supply
something suitable for you too. If you want Windows then it will be
Windows 7 (or 8) now - although you can always install Linux. :-)

Some PCs have legacy IDE connectors but you can buy adaptors if they
don't. Get plenty of RAM whatever you buy. Again some PCs don't have
legacy keyboard/mouse connectors so you might need adaptors or new
keyboard/mouse.

Most barebones don't come with monitors but they are easy to find.

If you want readymade PCs then HP still have some available although
they're not cheap.

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

Budget? £300??

I don't know so much about budget laptops. I think Asus and Acer do
plenty. I'm sure others here will chip in.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Current desktop is archaic, runs Win XP, struggles with web browsing,
rest is acceptable (just) using "period" versions of Excel, Word etc.

Office 97 mate, you can't beat it! I no longer know where anything is in
Excel and I find XP a welcome relief after Fisher Price/Win7.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 11:32*am, Mark
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 02:43:27 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
[...]

googled CCL's website - just mentions servers?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

Mark wrote:

I've just ordered a barebones PC from CCL.

googled CCL's website - just mentions servers?

http://www.cclonline.com/category/20.../Barebone-PCs/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 12:19*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim K wrote:
Mark wrote:

I've just ordered a barebones PC from CCL.

googled CCL's website - just mentions servers?

http://www.cclonline.com/category/20...op-PCs/Barebon...

aha muchos grassiarse

cue bewildering choice stage!

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:50:45 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Current desktop is archaic, runs Win XP, struggles with web browsing,
rest is acceptable (just) using "period" versions of Excel, Word etc.

Office 97 mate, you can't beat it! I no longer know where anything is in
Excel and I find XP a welcome relief after Fisher Price/Win7.

But Office 97 does frequently barf at ".doc" documents created by
later versions of M$ Orifice.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Current desktop is archaic, runs Win XP, struggles with web browsing,
rest is acceptable (just) using "period" versions of Excel, Word etc.

Office 97 mate, you can't beat it! I no longer know where anything is in
Excel and I find XP a welcome relief after Fisher Price/Win7.

But Office 97 does frequently barf at ".doc" documents created by
later versions of M$ Orifice.

& isn't XP going to be unsupported soon?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:

isn't XP going to be unsupported soon?

Soon = April 2014.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 10:43*am, Jim K wrote:
Budget £500 max??

from CCL

Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 8192MB (2x4096MB) Memory Module Kit
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive
CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive
Dino FC-DS01A Midi Tower Case
CarePack - 2 Year Return to Base
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Express Adapter
Windows 8

£345.37 inc VAT

comments anyone?

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:38:28 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Jim K wrote:

isn't XP going to be unsupported soon?

Soon = April 2014.

I don't know whether there are drivers available for XP on all modern
chipsets.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2012 12:19, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim K wrote:

Mark wrote:

I've just ordered a barebones PC from CCL.

googled CCL's website - just mentions servers?

http://www.cclonline.com/category/20.../Barebone-PCs/

I buy a lot of my PC stuff from CCL, but they only about a 30 minutes
drive away from me.

They are not always the cheapest but they are quite competitive with
other similar places.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Current desktop is archaic, runs Win XP, struggles with web browsing,
rest is acceptable (just) using "period" versions of Excel, Word etc.

Office 97 mate, you can't beat it! I no longer know where anything is in
Excel and I find XP a welcome relief after Fisher Price/Win7.

But Office 97 does frequently barf at ".doc" documents created by
later versions of M$ Orifice.

There's always the free office programs to try, like libreoffice or
openoffice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 06:02:43 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:43*am, Jim K wrote:
Budget £500 max??

from CCL

Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 8192MB (2x4096MB) Memory Module Kit
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive
CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive
Dino FC-DS01A Midi Tower Case
CarePack - 2 Year Return to Base
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Express Adapter
Windows 8

£345.37 inc VAT

comments anyone?

Looks OK. Personally I would go up a little on the CPU if you're
doing photo editing. However it should do the job.

I assume you will be using a 64 bit OS?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:43*am, Jim K wrote:
Budget £500 max??

from CCL

Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 8192MB (2x4096MB) Memory Module Kit
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive
CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive
Dino FC-DS01A Midi Tower Case
CarePack - 2 Year Return to Base
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Express Adapter
Windows 8

£345.37 inc VAT

comments anyone?

Looks OK. *Personally I would go up a little on the CPU if you're
doing photo editing. *However it should do the job.

mmm I'll have a look - tho seems to get a bit murky on the CCL
configurator...

I assume you will be using a 64 bit OS?

erm - probably? ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:11:14 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:43*am, Jim K wrote:
Budget £500 max??

from CCL

Intel Pentium G840 2.8GHz Dual Core Processor
Corsair XMS3 8192MB (2x4096MB) Memory Module Kit
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive
CCL Choice 22x DVD+/-RW Drive
Dino FC-DS01A Midi Tower Case
CarePack - 2 Year Return to Base
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Express Adapter
Windows 8

£345.37 inc VAT

comments anyone?

Looks OK. *Personally I would go up a little on the CPU if you're
doing photo editing. *However it should do the job.

mmm I'll have a look - tho seems to get a bit murky on the CCL
configurator...

You could just swap the CPU for an i3-3220. Probably wouldn't cost
much more.

I assume you will be using a 64 bit OS?

erm - probably? ;)

You won't be able to get the benefit of 8G RAM without one.
:-)
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2012 10:43, Jim K wrote:

Thread hijack alert - sorry!

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

We've got one of these too, running what sounds the same configuration
and with the same usage criteria: can I ask does yours work 'OK'?

Reason I ask is that ours (with its puny 4 Gb primary HDD) has been
working OK with a stripped-down version of XP (which I manage to make
from an OEM XP disk using winlite or something) but after a zillion MS
updates, the HDD is now full way past the 'critical' stage and the
machine is rendered useless until I do some serious sorting out (if I
can be bothered). A pity as for what it is, it's perfectly adequate for
what I need; but I can't find any up-to-date support/forum info online
for this now obsolete machine - just wondered what your experience was.

(No Linux is not an option - SWMBO is the primary user and in practice,
wouldn't even consider it)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 4:53*pm, Lobster wrote:
On 17/12/2012 10:43, Jim K wrote:

Thread hijack alert - sorry!

apologies accepted tho unnecessary!

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

We've got one of these too, running what sounds the same configuration
and with the same usage criteria: can I ask does yours work 'OK'?

Within it's limits it does just about enough but needs some careful
"management" e.g. no IE8 or other full fat browsers cos it gets
crippled - quickly, careful

I just looked and its an Intel Atom 1.6ghz with 1gb ram, 80gb hard
drive tho so maybe not same as yours? this is a "904HA"

Reason I ask is that ours (with its puny 4 Gb primary HDD) has been
working OK with a stripped-down version of XP (which I manage to make
from an OEM XP disk using winlite or something) but after a zillion MS
updates, the HDD is now full way past the 'critical' stage and the
machine is rendered useless until I do some serious sorting out (if I
can be bothered). *A pity as for what it is, it's perfectly adequate for
what I need; but I can't find any up-to-date support/forum info online
for this now obsolete machine - just wondered what your experience was.

(No Linux is not an option - SWMBO is the primary user and in practice,
wouldn't even consider it)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

crippled - quickly, careful choice of programs, watching over "updates" etc - imagine my joy when Opera "updated" itself from a small 4mb?? footprint into a 12mb one...mmmm b@stards.

I just looked and its an Intel Atom 1.6ghz with 1gb ram, 80gb hard
drive tho so maybe not same as yours? this is a "904HA"

ahem sorry for premature posting

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 17, 4:42*pm, Mark
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:11:14 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:43*am, Jim K wrote:
[...]

ok then
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (55W)
- Retail
Corsair XMS3 8192MB (2x4096MB) Memory Module Kit
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda© SATA 6Gb/s 1TB Hard Drive
Gainward GeForce GT 610 1GB SilentFX Graphics Card PCI-E DVI HDMI
Dino FC-DS01A Midi Tower Case
CarePack - 2 Year Return to Base
Samsung DVD RW SH-222BB/BEBE 22x SATA Black
TP-Link TL-WN781ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N PCI Express Adapter
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit) English International (DVD) OEM

£408.52 inc VAT

don;t really want the wireless PCI card or the DVD or the graphics
card (mobo has onboard) but don;t seem to be able to remove them in
the configurator.... processor upgrade cost £30 so other bits cost £35
odd...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2012 10:43, Jim K wrote:

Thread hijack alert - sorry!

apologies accepted tho unnecessary!

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

We've got one of these too, running what sounds the same configuration
and with the same usage criteria: can I ask does yours work 'OK'?

Within it's limits it does just about enough but needs some careful
"management" e.g. no IE8 or other full fat browsers cos it gets
crippled - quickly, careful

I just looked and its an Intel Atom 1.6ghz with 1gb ram, 80gb hard
drive tho so maybe not same as yours? this is a "904HA"

Ah -didn't know there were different flavours of EEE - mine's a 901,
with just a 4 Gb primary drive (and 16 Gb IIRC secondary). Oh well...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Try this site as well:http://www.techradar.com/

You could post your specific requirements here or uk.comp.homebuilt.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of supplies.

My advice is to get a desktop unless you need portability. *Laptops
are still less reliable than desktops.

Not if you treat them as laptops.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:43:50 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

On Dec 17, 4:42*pm, Mark
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:11:14 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

wrote:

On Dec 17, 10:43*am, Jim K wrote:
[...]

You can't do everything with the online configurator but they will
build whatever you ask if you phone them up. The main disadvantage is
that any customization takes longer. Taking things off will save you
a bit but not as much as the list price of the components.

Right now though I am not too happy since the delivery of mine has
been thoroughly c*cked up.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:43:50 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

don;t really want the wireless PCI card or the DVD or the graphics
card (mobo has onboard)

I'd be a bit wary of onboard graphics they tend to be the lowest of the
low in grunt and capabilties. Fine for email/web/word processing but
anything that uses graphics/animation will almost certainly benefit from
a seperate dedicated graphics card and memory.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:08:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 10:43:50 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

don;t really want the wireless PCI card or the DVD or the graphics
card (mobo has onboard)

I'd be a bit wary of onboard graphics they tend to be the lowest of the
low in grunt and capabilties. Fine for email/web/word processing but
anything that uses graphics/animation will almost certainly benefit from
a seperate dedicated graphics card and memory.

The Integrated graphics in the new Intel i* series isn't that bad
actually. Perfectly adequate for many older games and animation.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/12/12 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

i recommend Novatech,
www.novatech.co.uk
they make and mend them in Fareham Portsmouth.

Windows 7 not windows 8 if you need windows,
or ubuntu or mint free OS
and libreoffice, gimp , scribus etc

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 20, 10:30*pm, george - dicegeorge
wrote:
On 16/12/12 12:12, Jim K wrote: used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

i recommend Novatech,www.novatech.co.uk
they make and mend them in Fareham Portsmouth.

Windows 7 not windows 8 if you need windows,
or ubuntu or mint free OS
and libreoffice, gimp , scribus etc

[g]

For multiple installs without the multiple next prompts :-)

http://ninite.com/

the reverse, multiple uninstall

http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.html

Cheers