Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default OT new pc/lappy info sources to guide my buying?

On 17/12/2012 10:43, Jim K wrote:

Thread hijack alert - sorry!

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

We've got one of these too, running what sounds the same configuration
and with the same usage criteria: can I ask does yours work 'OK'?

Reason I ask is that ours (with its puny 4 Gb primary HDD) has been
working OK with a stripped-down version of XP (which I manage to make
from an OEM XP disk using winlite or something) but after a zillion MS
updates, the HDD is now full way past the 'critical' stage and the
machine is rendered useless until I do some serious sorting out (if I
can be bothered). A pity as for what it is, it's perfectly adequate for
what I need; but I can't find any up-to-date support/forum info online
for this now obsolete machine - just wondered what your experience was.

(No Linux is not an option - SWMBO is the primary user and in practice,
wouldn't even consider it)

David