Posted to rec.woodworking

Default inobvious sources for buying hardware and wood?

Okay, I'm looking at starting to turn out some dovetailed cases
hopefully en masse (photograph of my prototype he
http://www.3riversarchery.com/images...keDownCase.jpg
), but I'm not finding exactly the things which I want, either locally
or on the 'net --- maybe it's that they aren't for sale as I'd wish,
but this is one instance I'd like to be wrong.

In particular I want...

- a medium size cast brass handle (in-between the light duty and
heavy duty sizes which Woodcraft offers) --- ideally it would be no
deeper / heavier than the light duty Woodcraft handle, but instead
just a bit wider to accommodate an adult-sized hand more comfortably.
Other sources for other hardware would be welcome (I've been looking
at Lee Valley, Rockler, &c.) since I still don't like the draw catches
I'm using.

- a good source for 1/8" thick plywood sized 2 ft. by 3 ft. or so ---
on the prototype I used a scrap of cut-off hollow core door which I
found by the side of the road, and I'm still flabbergasted that the
least expensive option I can find is to purchase hollow core doors and
cut them apart.

I'm in south-central Pennsylvania if that matters (I would like to use
local suppliers and will be making a trip out to Hearne's Hardwoods
soon if I don't find a closer option).

William
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Okay, I'm looking at starting to turn out some dovetailed cases
hopefully en masse (photograph of my prototype he
http://www.3riversarchery.com/images...keDownCase.jpg
), but I'm not finding exactly the things which I want, either locally
or on the 'net --- maybe it's that they aren't for sale as I'd wish,
but this is one instance I'd like to be wrong.

In particular I want...

- a medium size cast brass handle (in-between the light duty and
heavy duty sizes which Woodcraft offers) --- ideally it would be no
deeper / heavier than the light duty Woodcraft handle, but instead
just a bit wider to accommodate an adult-sized hand more comfortably.
Other sources for other hardware would be welcome (I've been looking
at Lee Valley, Rockler, &c.) since I still don't like the draw catches
I'm using.

Anything here? Try ldearching for door/drawer pulls too.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=21&g...iw=936&bih=573

- a good source for 1/8" thick plywood sized 2 ft. by 3 ft. or so ---
on the prototype I used a scrap of cut-off hollow core door which I
found by the side of the road, and I'm still flabbergasted that the
least expensive option I can find is to purchase hollow core doors and
cut them apart.

Easier to just buy the *skins* for hollow doors at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
for about $10. They are normally lauan. Others sell baltic birch and
spruce, spruce mainly for aircraft.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...iw=936&bih=573

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/25/2011 12:27 PM, William F. Adams ) wrote:
Okay, I'm looking at starting to turn out some dovetailed cases
hopefully en masse (photograph of my prototype he
http://www.3riversarchery.com/images...keDownCase.jpg
), but I'm not finding exactly the things which I want, either locally
or on the 'net --- maybe it's that they aren't for sale as I'd wish,
but this is one instance I'd like to be wrong.

In particular I want...

- a good source for 1/8" thick plywood sized 2 ft. by 3 ft. or so ---
on the prototype I used a scrap of cut-off hollow core door which I
found by the side of the road, and I'm still flabbergasted that the
least expensive option I can find is to purchase hollow core doors and
cut them apart.

can't you just buy the door skins by themselves instead?

I'm in south-central Pennsylvania if that matters (I would like to use
local suppliers and will be making a trip out to Hearne's Hardwoods
soon if I don't find a closer option).

William

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:27:25 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams
)" wrote:

[...]

I can't help you with the handle but for the plywood you should be
able to purchase a "door skin" at any decent building supplier for
about $4.00. Another option would be to buy the veneer panels used to
cover the exposed end of kitchen cabinets. Home Depot and Lowe's
carry those.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

hopefully en masse (photograph of my prototype hehttp://www.3riversarchery.com/images...mAdamsTakeDown...
), but I'm not finding exactly the things which I want, either locally
or on the 'net --- maybe it's that they aren't for sale as I'd wish,
but this is one instance I'd like to be wrong.

In particular I want...

*- a medium size cast brass handle

Check out:

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/handlespulls
http://www.vandykes.com/knobs-pulls/...q100000013274/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Okay, I'm looking at starting to turn out some dovetailed cases
hopefully en masse (photograph of my prototype hehttp://www.3riversarchery.com/images...mAdamsTakeDown...
), but I'm not finding exactly the things which I want, either locally
or on the 'net --- maybe it's that they aren't for sale as I'd wish,
but this is one instance I'd like to be wrong.

In particular I want...

*- a medium size cast brass handle

Check out:

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/handlespulls

Thanks!

I think this is exactly what I was looking for:

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/...lls/castbrass4

William

Posted to rec.woodworking

)" wrote:
[...]

My thanks to you, DadiOH and chaniarts for suggesting the ``door
skins'' --- I'll check on those this weekend (couldn't find them in
Lowes or Home Depot's on-line sites), as well as the kitchen cabinet
veneer panels.

William

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

HD stocks red oak and luan door skins (1/8" ply). they may be able to
order other types. you may have to check down in the stack to find a
good one though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

*wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, not the ones here in central, PA, nor can I find them
on-line so that I could order them delivered to the local store.

Oh well, I did find 5.2mm lauan plywood which I guess I'll make do w/
--- what I lose in interior dimension I'll gain in rigidity and
strength.

William