Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default OT new pc/lappy info sources to guide my buying?

On Dec 17, 10:25*am, Mark
wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:01:32 +0000, Bob H wrote:
On 16/12/2012 12:12, Jim K wrote:
used to subscribe to PcPro years ago, been on their website for a look
at their "A List" for a new lappy/desktop but disappointed as some of
the kit listed looks a bit dated??

Where;s a useful source of buying guidance these days?

Cheers
Jim K

Try this site as well:http://www.techradar.com/

You could post your specific requirements here or uk.comp.homebuilt.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of supplies.

My advice is to get a desktop unless you need portability. *Laptops
are still less reliable than desktops.

Requirements - basically just a "once every 5/6/7 years" catch up
purchase - nothing "mission critical", intensive, no gaming, just
boring old Office, photo editing, web, email etc

Current desktop is archaic, runs Win XP, struggles with web browsing,
rest is acceptable (just) using "period" versions of Excel, Word etc.

Probly after a new monitor too, current 15" flatscreen works fine but
feels somewhat small...
Will re-use keyboard, mouse etc, presume IDE CD/DVD burners etc are
now obsolete?

Budget £500 max??

Current lappy is ageing Asus EEE, starting to struggle too but bit
better than desktop. Running XP & mainly used for email, web browsing.

Budget? £300??

Cheers
Jim K