Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Capacitive touch screen stylus

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

Seems a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw on
my Samnsung Galaxy S3.

I have a cheap stylus but the end is broad and spongy - good for tapping
virtual keys but not for drawing fine lines or for writing freehand.

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not scratch
glass?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2012 11:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

Seems a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw
on my Samnsung Galaxy S3.

I have a cheap stylus but the end is broad and spongy - good for tapping
virtual keys but not for drawing fine lines or for writing freehand.

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not
scratch glass?

Cheers

Dave R

You might not wish to spend out anything for a stylus, but you can buy
"sharp" stylus refills such as this:

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Par...ills.html#a241

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Oct 24, 11:34 am, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not
scratch
glass?

Conductive rubber?

How to make your own at
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...stylus-iPodiP/

Owain

:-) Looks like loads of fun, as long as you can cast or fabricate a sharp
point.

Now wondering if fitting a screen protector would allow you to draw using a
key or similar blunt metal object.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 24/10/2012 11:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

Seems a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw
on my Samnsung Galaxy S3.

I have a cheap stylus but the end is broad and spongy - good for tapping
virtual keys but not for drawing fine lines or for writing freehand.

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not
scratch glass?

Cheers

Dave R

You might not wish to spend out anything for a stylus, but you can buy
"sharp" stylus refills such as this:

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Par...ills.html#a241

Unfortunately that is for pressure sensitive not capacitive.
The 3 multi-pens linked through to all have blob ends.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 14:47:52 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Does this mean you cannot use touch screens while wearing gloves then?

Capacitive touch screens, yes. iThingies etc have capacitive touch
screens.

This prompted me to play with the touch screen on my Tab 2. The metal cap
of a propelling pencil is ignored. A 2" No 8 woodscrew works but only if
I'm holding it directly, insulate me from the screw with a bit of paper
and it doesn't.

I also have an iPAQ with pressure/resistive touch screen that'll work
with anything, finger, gloves, stylus. The iPAQ stylus won't operate the
Tab 2's touch screen.

As for the OP, presumably the Samsung Note range of tablets have a
capacitive touch screen. How about a spare stylus from one of them. Might
not like the price though at around £15.00 each.

Screen damage is probably more of an issue with a stylus, fingers are
very soft and very sensitive to bits of dirt.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2012 13:56, David WE Roberts wrote:

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 24/10/2012 11:33, David WE Roberts wrote:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

Seems a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw
on my Samnsung Galaxy S3.

I have a cheap stylus but the end is broad and spongy - good for tapping
virtual keys but not for drawing fine lines or for writing freehand.

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not
scratch glass?

Cheers

Dave R

You might not wish to spend out anything for a stylus, but you can buy
"sharp" stylus refills such as this:

http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Par...ills.html#a241

Unfortunately that is for pressure sensitive not capacitive.
The 3 multi-pens linked through to all have blob ends.

Sorry - my mistake. Yes - I too have an ultra-cheap blob-ended one and
know what you mean. (Actually, I have three identical.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

One I've seen made and used involved creating a "nib" from a metalised
film anti-static bag.

Seems a bit clunky, and what I really need is a fine tip stylus to draw on
my Samnsung Galaxy S3.

Fine tips don't work very well, you need something approximating a
finger end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://lifehacker.com/5480040/make-a...ti+static-bags

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2012 14:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
Does this mean you cannot use touch screens while wearing gloves then?
Brian

You can buy gloves with conductive thread in them so that you can wear
gloves while using capacitive touch devices.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:33:47 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not scratch
glass?

I've made my own from conductive foam from Maplin. It's firmer than
rubber, and glides more easily. However, from much experimenting it
needs a minimum area in contact with the screen to work. The smallest
I've managed is about 5x5 mm.

You have to rely on the software to interpret the broad contact area
and draw a thin line at the centre. Not much good for accurate work.
I don't think theres a way round it with current screens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/ta...w-make-stylus/

So what is a firm conductive material which can hold a point but not
scratch
glass?

I've made my own from conductive foam from Maplin. It's firmer than
rubber, and glides more easily. However, from much experimenting it
needs a minimum area in contact with the screen to work. The smallest
I've managed is about 5x5 mm.

You have to rely on the software to interpret the broad contact area
and draw a thin line at the centre. Not much good for accurate work.
I don't think theres a way round it with current screens.

Thanks - useful info :-)