Old October 16th 12, 11:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 bulb remover

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

Question 1 . Does anyone know where I could source the original type bulbs. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ? I'm getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

Old October 16th 12, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 03:44:34 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ?

Rubber sink plug.
Old October 16th 12, 12:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 16, 11:44*am, fred wrote:
[...]

Remove fitting, replace with low voltage fitting , transformer and
lamp, fit and forget ;-)

Cheers
Adam
Old October 16th 12, 12:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
[...]

Rubber washing up gloves increase the friction substantially.
Old October 16th 12, 12:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred
writes

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ?

Marigold gloves.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Old October 16th 12, 12:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:10:40 PM UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , fred

writes

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ?

Marigold gloves.

--

(\_/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Rubber gloves sound good. Will give them a try. Who designs these things
Old October 16th 12, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 12:36, Malcolm G wrote:
On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

I can well imagine the right suction cup working - given that we use
them here from time to time to lift floor panels which are not exactly
light weight.

Amazon sell this one specifically for GU10 removal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-54.../dp/B0027J282A
and there seem to be lots of other ones out there.

That's the same one that CPC do - it works very well.

It's not clear from the instructions online, but the green handle cranks
over to 90-degrees. You then offer it up to the front surface of the
bulb, and move the handle into the vertical position, which creates the
suction.

Then un-bayonet (!) the bulb, using the handle.
To insert a new bulb - same process in reverse.

As I say - works well...

Adrian
Old October 16th 12, 01:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

在 2012年10月16日星期二UTC+8下午6时44分34 ,fred写道:

http://www.newuggaustraliasale.co.uk/

Old October 16th 12, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
[...]

These work and are cheap as chips
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GURS.html