Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 bulb remover

On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be
twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with
the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised
studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the
removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip
to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution
? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies
bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is
a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

Question 1 . Does anyone know where I could source the original type
bulbs. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs
? I'm getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

These work and are cheap as chips
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GURS.html

I've got a similar one which came with a 4-lamp bar bought from Argos.
It *does* work - most of the time - but it feels as if the handle bit
will twist off the sucker before I've generated enough torque to rotate
the bulb. There was one occasion when the front glass came off, and left
the rest of the bulb in situ!

The one from Amazon - suggested by someone else - looks like a better bet.

Oh, and don't make the same mistake as I did when I changed a bulb with
the power on. The new bulb got very hot pretty damn quick, and nigh-on
melted the sucker before I could remove it!
--
Cheers,
Roger