Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 bulb remover

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

Question 1 . Does anyone know where I could source the original type bulbs. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ? I'm getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 03:44:34 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ?

Rubber sink plug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 16, 11:44*am, fred wrote:
[...]

Remove fitting, replace with low voltage fitting , transformer and
lamp, fit and forget ;-)

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
[...]

Rubber washing up gloves increase the friction substantially.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred
writes

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ?

Marigold gloves.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:10:40 PM UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , fred

writes

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these bulbs ?

Marigold gloves.

--

(\_/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Rubber gloves sound good. Will give them a try. Who designs these things
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 12:36, Malcolm G wrote:
On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

I can well imagine the right suction cup working - given that we use
them here from time to time to lift floor panels which are not exactly
light weight.

Amazon sell this one specifically for GU10 removal
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-54.../dp/B0027J282A
and there seem to be lots of other ones out there.

That's the same one that CPC do - it works very well.

It's not clear from the instructions online, but the green handle cranks
over to 90-degrees. You then offer it up to the front surface of the
bulb, and move the handle into the vertical position, which creates the
suction.

Then un-bayonet (!) the bulb, using the handle.
To insert a new bulb - same process in reverse.

As I say - works well...

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

在 2012年10月16日星期二UTC+8下午6时44分34 ,fred写道:
We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered (Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out of the ceiling.

Question 1 . Does anyone know where I could source the original type bulbs. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

http://www.newuggaustraliasale.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
[...]

These work and are cheap as chips
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GURS.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:
[...]

I've got a similar one which came with a 4-lamp bar bought from Argos.
It *does* work - most of the time - but it feels as if the handle bit
will twist off the sucker before I've generated enough torque to rotate
the bulb. There was one occasion when the front glass came off, and left
the rest of the bulb in situ!

The one from Amazon - suggested by someone else - looks like a better bet.

Oh, and don't make the same mistake as I did when I changed a bulb with
the power on. The new bulb got very hot pretty damn quick, and nigh-on
melted the sucker before I could remove it!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

any thoughts on applying a little smear of something on the pins of a new
bulb (Copperslip??)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

fred wrote:
[...]

As long as the sucker is wet when applied to the lamp then it will work (ie
gob on the sucker when you get to the top of the step ladder)

Having swapped/installed many thousands of them I know it works, although I
usually just use my fingers and just let friction do the work.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

Considerr using e.g hot glue to glue on a handle. It ruins the bulb..but
then its already ruined..

Like the days when we used to weld things onto stuck nuts to get them
undone when they were well rounded off..

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:37:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

I don't have too much trouble removing them with just fingers. It's
getting a new one in that takes the time.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:56:20 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:

[...]

No. We have one of those and it was useless. Not enough resistance to the twisting of the stem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:36:27 PM UTC+1, Malcolm G wrote:
On 16/10/2012 11:44, fred wrote:

[...]

That looks like the db. Found one a bit cheaper of flea bay. If the rubber gloves previously suggested don't do the trick I'll try one of these.

Many thanks to all for their suggestions

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:44:34 UTC+1, fred wrote:
We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs.

The knobbly surface of 60 LEDs gives plenty of grip, and you don't need to change them often.

If you haven't yet got 60 LEDs in your GU10s, then replace them. Maybe use an angle grinder to get the old ones out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:31:52 AM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:44:34 UTC+1, fred wrote:

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs.

The knobbly surface of 60 LEDs gives plenty of grip, and you don't need to change them often.

If you haven't yet got 60 LEDs in your GU10s, then replace them. Maybe use an angle grinder to get the old ones out.

I read bad reports about GU10 leds. Short life etc. True ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
I read bad reports about GU10 leds. Short life etc. True ?

Life was shorter than you'd want for payback.
The payback time was long. It's now shorter.
I understand tungsten bulbs cost ~10 per year to run. LED bulbs are becoming mainstream - I have several and they're good.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/light-bulbs/...icat/ledbulbs/

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?qu...category=20515
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
fred wrote:
I read bad reports about GU10 leds. Short life etc. True ?

Life was shorter than you'd want for payback.
The payback time was long. It's now shorter.
I understand tungsten bulbs cost ~£10 per year to run. LED bulbs are
becoming mainstream - I have several and they're good.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/light-bulbs/...icat/ledbulbs/

Bloody hell, no wonder some are complaining about price. I just bought a
load of R50 and GU10 LED bulbs for a fiver each. Charging £22 each is a bit
of a **** take.

--
DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 04:51:49 -0700 (PDT), fred
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:31:52 AM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:44:34 UTC+1, fred wrote:

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs.

The knobbly surface of 60 LEDs gives plenty of grip, and you don't need to change them often.

If you haven't yet got 60 LEDs in your GU10s, then replace them. Maybe use an angle grinder to get the old ones out.

I read bad reports about GU10 leds. Short life etc. True ?

The ones I had, certainly. They lasted between 6-24 months.
I've now gone back to halogen.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:51:49 +0100, fred wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:31:52 AM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:44:34 UTC+1, fred wrote:

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs.

The knobbly surface of 60 LEDs gives plenty of grip, and you don't need
to change them often.

If you haven't yet got 60 LEDs in your GU10s, then replace them. Maybe
use an angle grinder to get the old ones out.

I read bad reports about GU10 leds. Short life etc. True ?

That's the least of your worries. I know plenty of horror stories of
people cheapskating on GU10 LED bulbs, getting them from ebay, and they
catch fire.

Really, don't cheapskate on cheap Chinese made LED lighting... Stick to
the brands you know (OSRAM etc...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

fred wrote:
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:31:52 AM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 October 2012 11:44:34 UTC+1, fred wrote:

We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs.

The knobbly surface of 60 LEDs gives plenty of grip, and you don't
need to change them often.

If you haven't yet got 60 LEDs in your GU10s, then replace them.
Maybe use an angle grinder to get the old ones out.

I read bad reports about GU10 leds. Short life etc. True ?

Semi true.

1 in 10 will fail within a week or so based on the last 2000 or so that I
fitted or was involved with fitting.

Send them back to the retailer and get a new one. The ones that do work seem
to work for quite a while.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

I use my car engine valve grinding-in tool. Gives good suction - and a
very useful 25cm overhead reach too.