Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default GU10 bulb remover

ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
We have about 10 lights using these GU10 bulbs. They have to be
twisted to remove. Problem is the only ones we can find are flush
with the surface of the ceiling fitting. Original GE bulbs had small
raised studs on the circumference of the glass surface. These aided
the removal. Latest version has completely flat surface. Nothing to
grip to help in twisting the bulb in its holder. Solution offered
(Solution ? Dont make me laugh) is a suction cup, such as is found in
a kiddies bow and arrow set, which is utterly useless. Now removing
the bulb is a major operation involving pulling the whole fitting out
of the ceiling.

Question 1 . Does anyone know where I could source the original type
bulbs. I'e tried all the usual suspects, both local and ebay.

Question 2 Has anyone found a satisfactory way of removing these
bulbs ? I'm getting too too old to be swaying about on a step ladder.

As long as the sucker is wet when applied to the lamp then it will work (ie
gob on the sucker when you get to the top of the step ladder)

Having swapped/installed many thousands of them I know it works, although I
usually just use my fingers and just let friction do the work.

Considerr using e.g hot glue to glue on a handle. It ruins the bulb..but
then its already ruined..

Like the days when we used to weld things onto stuck nuts to get them
undone when they were well rounded off..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.