Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it
directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there
perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Can't think why. If it's fit for the EU it should be okay in the UK. Don't
know whether gas couplings might be different though.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 03:27:13 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Do they use the same kind of gas in Italy? If not, is it still
significantly cheaper after replacing jets etc?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Don't tell me - Britannia and Ilve?

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

I don't think so as EU legislation means that anything legal to
install/use in one country should be the same in any country of the
EU.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 8, 2012 12:02:57 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
RobertL wrote: The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Don't tell me - Britannia and Ilve?

"Barazza". And I can tell you that 50% off the price of a Barazza hob is a LOT of money.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 12:02*pm, wrote:
RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Don't tell me - Britannia and Ilve?

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? *Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

I don't think so as EU legislation means that anything legal to
install/use in one country should be the same in any country of the
EU.

Including electrical items designed for much lower mains voltage? It's
not as simple as saying it will be safe throughout Europe. Someone has
already highlighted a possible issue with the jets.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/10/2012 12:33, Man at B&Q wrote:

I don't think so as EU legislation means that anything legal to
install/use in one country should be the same in any country of the
EU.

Including electrical items designed for much lower mains voltage? It's
not as simple as saying it will be safe throughout Europe. Someone has
already highlighted a possible issue with the jets.

Would the Italian sell a UK model direct?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim+ writes:
RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it
directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there
perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Can't think why. If it's fit for the EU it should be okay in the UK. Don't
know whether gas couplings might be different though.

Much (most?) of the EU uses BSP pipe fittings, even if they don't
call them that!

Don't know about Italy, but french stuff is all interchangable.
(Copper pipes are different sizes, but the BSP connections are the
same as here.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 12:02 pm, wrote:
RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Don't tell me - Britannia and Ilve?

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

I don't think so as EU legislation means that anything legal to
install/use in one country should be the same in any country of the
EU.

Including electrical items designed for much lower mains voltage? It's

Don't think there are any "much lower" voltages in use in Europe are there?

not as simple as saying it will be safe throughout Europe. Someone has
already highlighted a possible issue with the jets.

They probably buy their gas the same place we do ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

They probably buy their gas the same place we do ;-)

gas-Я-us.ru ?

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Oct 8, 1:55 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
They probably buy their gas the same place we do ;-)

gas-Я-us.ru ?

And we'll probably end up paying Russ Andrewski prices too.

And Putin might do a Ukraine to us at any moment...

Personally, all greens should have their fuel/water/electricity cut off
every day at random times for a month, in winter.

Then, and only then, should they be allowed to try to influence the UK
energy policy...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 8, 2012 1:55:37 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
John Rumm wrote: They probably buy their gas the same place we do ;-) gas-Я-us.ru ? -- Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/ "She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

IIRC at the moment, Norway is our main supplier and for Italy it's Algeria.

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well unless they use different gass or different pressures or if its meant
for bottled gas with internal regualator then there will be issues, but
otherwise cannot imagine why it should be diffent.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"RobertL" wrote in message
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it
directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there
perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the
italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote in
:

The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost
50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made)
instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of
view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK
that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

If it carrys the CE mark it may be fitted here.

No CE mark, no fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Can't think why. If it's fit for the EU it should be okay in the UK. Don't
know whether gas couplings might be different though.

1/2" BSP in Italy same as the UK.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy
it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there
perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Do they use the same kind of gas in Italy? If not, is it still
significantly cheaper after replacing jets etc?

Methane In cities and LPG in the country just like the UK. Most hobs sold
in both countries come with a full set of jets for both types of gas.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it
directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Really? I bought all of the Italian made jobs for my home in Italy in the
UK because they were disgustingly expensive in Italy. I bought a Candy hob
for our kitchen in the barn at Comet for £60. Same unit in Italy was EUR
400.

Zanussi gas hob and Ariston gas jobs for the main kitchens were around
£100-150 in the UK. Around EUR 600-800 in Italy.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there
perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

No idea but taking items from UK to Italy no one complained and there is
this EU rule about free movement of goods and services.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy
it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there
perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Do they use the same kind of gas in Italy? If not, is it still
significantly cheaper after replacing jets etc?

Methane In cities and LPG in the country just like the UK. Most hobs sold
in both countries come with a full set of jets for both types of gas.

Some years ago there was a basic gas cooker on offer at Comet or Currys,
I can't remember which. My parents wanted to buy one to take over to
France and the shop point blank refused to supply the LPG jets (supplied
with it by the manufacturer), insisting that they could only be supplied
to a Corgi registered fitter! Wrong on so many counts, but they couldn't
be budged.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've also had the same cobblers from Currys. Going to a different shop in
the same chain got me the hob + jets. I wouldn't have been shopping there
at all, but their prices were the lowest at the time.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 October 2012 11:27:13 UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Hi Robert

Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? I really want to get a Barazza direct from Italy too but I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone!

Louise

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 8 October 2012 11:27:13 UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
The hob we want to buy is significantly cheaper (almost 50%) if we buy
it directly from Italy (where it is made) instead of from the UK
retailer.

Would there be any problems from the "gas safe" point of view? Is
there perhaps some safety mark required in the UK that would be
missing from the italian model?

many thanks for any comments

Robert

Hi Robert

Did you ever get a definitive answer on this? I really want to get a
Barazza direct from Italy too but I can't seem to get a straight answer
from anyone!

Given Italy is in the EU, they should be able to supply a UK spec one - if
they make it. Of course that's not to say they won't put obstacles in your
way so as not to offend their UK agents. As once happened with cars.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Dave, it's from distributor in Italy so not sure they could do that but thanks for your help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 May 2015 16:54:54 UTC+1, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 06 May 2015 15:52:05 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Italy tends towards bottled gas a lot more than the UK ...

Really? So confusing, I spoke to a distributor in Italy who said they ship to UK all the time. Don't really know who to believe!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Given Italy is in the EU, they should be able to supply a UK spec
one - if they make it. Of course that's not to say they won't put
obstacles in your way so as not to offend their UK agents. As once
happened with cars.

Italy tends towards bottled gas a lot more than the UK ...

Really? So confusing, I spoke to a distributor in Italy who said they
ship to UK all the time. Don't really know who to believe!

The same hob could well have different versions for natural and bottled
gas. Even for town gas if it still exists anywhere.

--
*Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of cheques *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GMM wrote:
I would check with you fitter first that that would be acceptable. A
couple of years ago, my gas safe man (who's a reasonable bloke) refused
to fit a fire for me because the instructions were missing from the box,
despite the fact that I located the relevant pdf online.
It's about liability and insurance.

This is a DIY group. Fit it yourself, if competent. No more difficult than
water.

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 7 May 2015 11:20:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GMM wrote:
I would check with you fitter first that that would be acceptable. A
couple of years ago, my gas safe man (who's a reasonable bloke) refused
to fit a fire for me because the instructions were missing from the box,
despite the fact that I located the relevant pdf online.
It's about liability and insurance.

This is a DIY group. Fit it yourself, if competent. No more difficult than
water.

I question that "no more difficult than water". My usual approach with
water is "fit, wait, find leaks, fix". That works fine with water because
leaking a couple of litres of water over a 12 hour period is pretty obvious,
and fairly harmless (provided fixed promptly). A similar sized hole with
gas is a) not nearly so obvious; b) significantly less harmless.

The maximum extent to which I am prepared to DIY gas is "plug bayonet
fitting into cooker".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

....and some would say you shouldn't even do THAT yourself ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

Its easy to detect gas leaks with a simple manometer.

If any doubts get a Landlord or similar gas safety certificate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

you can do that at the connector at the meter can't you ? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

Correct. I forget the pressure drop criterion, isn't it something like
less than 10 mm in five minutes (which is about 1 mb) for a typical
domestic installation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
GMM wrote:
[...]