Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default buying a gas hob from Italy - "gas safe" problems?

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/05/2015 13:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 12:46, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Thursday, 7 May 2015 11:20:51 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GMM wrote:
I would check with you fitter first that that would be acceptable. A
couple of years ago, my gas safe man (who's a reasonable bloke)
refused
to fit a fire for me because the instructions were missing from the
box,
despite the fact that I located the relevant pdf online.
It's about liability and insurance.

This is a DIY group. Fit it yourself, if competent. No more difficult
than
water.

I question that "no more difficult than water". My usual approach with
water is "fit, wait, find leaks, fix". That works fine with water
because
leaking a couple of litres of water over a 12 hour period is pretty
obvious,
and fairly harmless (provided fixed promptly). A similar sized hole
with
gas is a) not nearly so obvious; b) significantly less harmless.

The maximum extent to which I am prepared to DIY gas is "plug bayonet
fitting into cooker".

Its easy to detect gas leaks with a simple manometer.

If any doubts get a Landlord or similar gas safety certificate.

you can do that at the connector at the meter can't you ? ......

Correct. I forget the pressure drop criterion, isn't it something like
less than 10 mm in five minutes (which is about 1 mb) for a typical
domestic installation?

Em...I am admitting nothing ....