Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Iron filings in a speaker

Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

plasticene has worked for me once or twice. also vaseline on a card
followed by alcohol to get the grease out

its possble that compressed gas/air might blow it out as well.

I assume the spider is still intact?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

plasticene has worked for me once or twice. also vaseline on a card followed
by alcohol to get the grease out

its possble that compressed gas/air might blow it out as well.

I assume the spider is still intact?

A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use
to get out the more accessible bits.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

If you have access, try a conventional sewing needle. The metal
particles may prefer the induced magnetism at the needle point.

Never tried it with a speaker magnet but it used to work with moving
coil instruments when I was an apprentice:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Andy Champ formulated :
On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?

Something like that!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?

in a nut shell. IF its stronger than the speaker magnet ..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 7:29 a.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

If it's a good speaker with a very powerful magnet it might be time for
a new speaker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 22:33:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?

in a nut shell. IF its stronger than the speaker magnet ..

OO0oo I wouldn't put them in a nut shell, someone might swallow them.
One wouldn't be so bad, but two might cause a nasty obstruction.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?

in a nut shell. IF its stronger than the speaker magnet ..

I have visions of a rare earth magnet getting ripped through the cone on
its way to sticking forcefully to the speaker magnet ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:44 a.m., John Rumm wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some
use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?

in a nut shell. IF its stronger than the speaker magnet ..

I have visions of a rare earth magnet getting ripped through the cone on
its way to sticking forcefully to the speaker magnet ;-)

Or squashing a finger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fOn Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:37:30 +1200, Gib Bogle
wrote:

On 22/08/2012 7:29 a.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

If it's a good speaker with a very powerful magnet it might be time for
a new speaker.

Agreed, and just put it down to experience, unless you're prepared to
muck around with a pair of sharp tweezers for a fortnight or so...

Fortunately modern speakers seem to have a sort of protection of the
voice coil at the front by way of a sort of mini dome.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 7:29 a.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

Coincidentally (and tangentially) I attended a very interesting talk
yesterday, presented by a young man who has just completed his PhD at
MIT. His topic was the design of small powerful linear motors using
permanent magnets - effectively, they use sophisticated voice coils.
the magnets are stacked with four different orientations in a way that
traps the magnetic field, and the current in the coils is controlled to
preserve the right phase relation with the magnetic field. The big
issue is getting rid of the heat generated in the voice coil, and to
facilitate this his little motors have close tolerances - he aims for 10
microns at operating temperature. You wouldn't want any swarf in there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle pretended :
Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/08/2012 20:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some
use to
get out the more accessible bits.

Neodymium?
in a nut shell. IF its stronger than the speaker magnet ..

I have visions of a rare earth magnet getting ripped through the cone on
its way to sticking forcefully to the speaker magnet ;-)

Or squashing a finger.

An aspirin sized one is strong, but not that strong.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
You cannot, its buggered I'm afraid. The mereest sniff will rub it away,
and damage it. it cannot be recentred once this has occured.
Brian

rubbish

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

Was the work done by a pro body shop? If so take it back and make it their
problem.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank Erskine wrote:
Fortunately modern speakers seem to have a sort of protection of the
voice coil at the front by way of a sort of mini dome.

Not possible with this construction - common on car speakers - where the
tweeters are mounted on a central post.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Was the work done by a pro body shop? If so take it back and make it
their problem.

I would normally agree - but the quote involved me removing and replacing
any necessary trim. For some reason I forgot the speaker even although it
was exposed by my removal of the other trim and very easy to remove at
that point.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the

The EU will solve that according to the other thread, by requiring
you to remove your unapproved aftermarket speaker anyway.
Was the new wing approved by Rover?
What about the paint?

;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:55:22 +0100, Andrew Gabriel
wrote:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old
one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the

The EU will solve that according to the other thread, by requiring
you to remove your unapproved aftermarket speaker anyway.
Was the new wing approved by Rover?
What about the paint?

;-)

Trouble with paint is that refinish paint is fundamentally and importantly
different to factory paint. Even when manufactured by the same paint
company.

So if non-factory paint were to be banned there would be a whole bodyshop
industry and paint sector wiped out.

The only option for many accidents would be vehicle replacement. I really
cannot see the insurers sitting back and allowing that to happen.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The EU will solve that according to the other thread, by requiring
you to remove your unapproved aftermarket speaker anyway.

True.

Was the new wing approved by Rover?

Yes - genuine part.

What about the paint?

The original paint was cellulose. Which is now banned for pro use. By the
EU? That's an interesting point. ;-)

The new stuff is water based.

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.