Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Iron filings in a speaker

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Rather stupidly, I left the rear speaker in place when the old Rover was
having a new rear wing fitted. Which is welded on so removing the old one
would have produced some steel swarf or whatever when drilling out the
spot welds - and a lot of it has ended up in the speaker. It's a fairly
pricey aftermarket 6x9 with a pair of tweeters mounted on a post in the
middle, and the swarf has got down between that and the voice coil former.
Any ideas on how to remove it? The post itself isn't the magnet pole piece
- it appears to be plastic. No idea how it's held in place - there are no
wires to the tweeters showing.

plasticene has worked for me once or twice. also vaseline on a card followed
by alcohol to get the grease out

its possble that compressed gas/air might blow it out as well.

I assume the spider is still intact?

A neomibium (sp?) (rare earth) magnet on a stick might be of some use
to get out the more accessible bits.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)