Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amish and OSB

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Surely marathon runners do better than 10 mph? But the point is of
course that extremely fit marathon runners are exhausted at the end of
a 26 mile run in a bit over 2 hours. On the other hand a very, very
average cyclist can complete the same distance in the same time
without raising a sweat. If nothing else is, that's an obvious
indication of how much more efficient bikes are than legs on a fairly
flat even course.

however you try cycling up Everest, or a cliff..

legs are general purpose transport that will do all terrain at about
3-10mph and are capable of vertical takeoff.

Bikes only do relatively smooth surfaces and low slope angles.

You make it sound like it's as easy to walk up a hill as on the level.

Then you have completely failed to understand what I wrote.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

8

Is there anything in it that on a bike the body weight is supported
whereas with walking that load has to be taken by the legs an I presume
uses some energy doing that.

No.

Funny most people get tired when standing some what faster than when they
are sitting.

I think you have managed to get the gold again, hell no, you get platinum.

Also a train is carried on its wheels, whereas an aircraft has to
support its own weight all the time?..

None of this is relevant really. There is a slight issue with the aircraft
in that it has to 'make up' the glide slope loss (as it were) all the
time, but with glider slopes of 20: or better, its not a big issue with
respect to the forward speed.

For example a light aiorcraft [eaks out about 50-70W per pound of weight,
but amnalusis shows a good aerodynamic plane can saty up with about
3-4W/lb - the rest goes in overcoming the drag.

Which is why airlines look pretty much like gliders - lowoest darg
possible

They don't look much like gliders to me.
You wouldn't get much fuel in the wing tanks if they did look like gliders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 16:16:49 +0100, soup wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

Candle in jam jar. Aluminium foil around half the jar will direct a
surprisingly large amount of extra light towards the page[1]

Nick
[1]Presuming the light is pointing towards the page, obviously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Man at B&Q wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining
the Amish house on the program on BBC2 right now.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar

The Amish philosophy is not to adopt a technology just
for the sake of adopting a technology. If it is a
useful tool to accomplish the work they chose to do,
and not a frivoulous toy, then they will use it.

Its MUCH more complicated than that in practice.

That doesn't explain why they refuse to use an engine in stuff as basic
as a bike etc.

A telephone is a useful emergency communication device,

They don't just use the phone in the outhouse for emergencys.

And they'd be a lot better off with the phone in the house for
emergencys anyway.

Who's house,

The house where the emergency happens, stupid.

and why?

Even you can't actually be THAT stupid.

Do you feel that if you pull other people down then in some way it pulls
you up?

Just another of your silly little fantasys, like your other
stupidity about about being 'threatened' by the stupid amish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Do you feel that if you pull other people down then in some way it
pulls you up?

Just another of your silly little fantasys, like your other
stupidity about about being 'threatened' by the stupid amish.

So why do you behave in such a boorish fashion? You explain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Happens with a power failure etc too,
you can't do any work or entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

I have a couple of rechargeable torches that are plugged into
the mains all the time and come on auto when the mains fails.
They are fine for reading by.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

I have a couple of rechargeable torches that are plugged into
the mains all the time and come on auto when the mains fails. They are
fine for reading by.

Blimey, it must happen a lot down there. All the powergen convicts go on
strike?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
writes
On 03/08/2012 10:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:46:02 +0100, GB wrote:

It makes as much sense as all the other "get arounds" that exist in
most religions

The one I like is the eruv.

I once heard of an eruv where the wired off area was very small....but
that was considered the 'outside'....

You just don't understand the finer points of religious reasoning. An
eruv is a boundary wall taken to its most minimal extreme. You start off
by asking what a wall is, and move on to asking whether it's still a
wall if it's not in good condition. Everybody would agree it is. Then,
what if it has holes in? Sure, that's okay. So, what if the holes are
really big holes? That's okay, too. So, you end up with an eruv, which
is a wall with a simply huge hole in it.

It's all perfectly logical, but if you think of it as a boundary marker
you may be happier. It's no different, really, from the boundary line
between neighbouring counties, but even that tenuous line acts as a
barrier to policemen.

Yes, but the bit where a very small enclosed spec is taken to be the
'outside' and the rest of the world the 'inside' was what took the
biscuit!

Actually, I don't think that could work as an eruv, so I am not sure
where you got that from?

Its only taking a ridiculous concept to its natural conclusion

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
Owain wrote
Davey wrote

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the
solar panels.

At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home.

Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

FFS you moronic retard

"Home" does not refer to somewhere you've never been before

Stuipid, stupid sheep shagger

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Owain wrote
Davey wrote

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home.

Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

FFS you moronic retard

Says the wanking cretin...

"Home" does not refer to somewhere you've never been before

Pity that's where they need the GPS, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:29:20 +0100, charles
wrote:

and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign stating
that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have anyone -
even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

A local loon, an Elder of the Kirk, fired a shotgun over the head of
my friend as she was hanging out the washing on the sabbath day. Said
loon also happened to be a councillor and had no licence for said gun.
The polis came, spoke to him, did **** all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign
stating that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have
anyone - even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

A local loon, an Elder of the Kirk, fired a shotgun over the head of
my friend as she was hanging out the washing on the sabbath day. Said
loon also happened to be a councillor and had no licence for said gun.
The polis came, spoke to him, did **** all.

Could she not take that up with a mainland force or the Police Complaints
Commission?

Or just blog it over over the internet?

Sounds like a fun place for a uk.d-i-y meet - on a Sunday of course...
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

8

"Home" does not refer to somewhere you've never been before

In the case of eruv(i) they are an artificial construction to join similar
places together so they can ignore their normally stupid rules.
In which case "home" may be somewhere else in an eruv.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:12:47 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
geoff , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Its only taking a ridiculous concept to its natural conclusion

Isn't that the very definition of religion?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

8

"Home" does not refer to somewhere you've never been before

In the case of eruv(i) they are an artificial construction to join
similar places together so they can ignore their normally stupid rules.
In which case "home" may be somewhere else in an eruv.

Keep up there in the black country - we were talking about horses

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

Keep up there in the black country - we were talking about horses

A horses home is wherever the driver decides to stay, do try and keep up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 5, 1:50*pm, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:12:47 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
geoff , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Its only taking a ridiculous concept to its natural conclusion

Isn't that the very definition of religion?

Wait until you find out what the descendants of monkeys believe.
You'll laugh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Keep up there in the black country - we were talking about horses

A horses home is wherever the driver decides to stay, do try and keep
up.

I'll tell you a story dennis you thick ****

A little village in south shropshire had its pub shut down by the lady
of the manor around the turn of the 20th century because she noticed
that her coach horses had a tendency to head for the pub rather than the
manor. It was her opinion that her coachmen spent too long in the pub.
Now that would indicate to me that the horses definitely knew where home
should be

i.e. you're talking ******** as usual, horses are intelligent animals
that understand routes , know where home is, and enjoy a pint of mild or
two at the end of a working day

you thick, thick brummie ****

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 1:50 pm, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On Sat, 4 Aug 2012 23:12:47 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
geoff , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Its only taking a ridiculous concept to its natural conclusion

Isn't that the very definition of religion?

Wait until you find out what the descendants of monkeys believe.
You'll laugh.

They being the ones that don't understand evolution?
Like religious types?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Keep up there in the black country - we were talking about horses

A horses home is wherever the driver decides to stay, do try and keep up.

I'll tell you a story dennis you thick ****

A little village in south shropshire had its pub shut down by the lady of
the manor around the turn of the 20th century because she noticed that
her coach horses had a tendency to head for the pub rather than the manor.
It was her opinion that her coachmen spent too long in the pub. Now that
would indicate to me that the horses definitely knew where home should be

That would support what I said, they go where the driver wants to be and not
to their stables.
Unless you are saying they were stabled at the pub.

i.e. you're talking ******** as usual, horses are intelligent animals that
understand routes , know where home is, and enjoy a pint of mild or two at
the end of a working day

you thick, thick brummie ****

If I am so thick why do you keep posting stuff that agrees with what I say
and then *you* fail to understand what you have posted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Keep up there in the black country - we were talking about horses

A horses home is wherever the driver decides to stay, do try and keep up.

I'll tell you a story dennis you thick ****

A little village in south shropshire had its pub shut down by the
lady of the manor around the turn of the 20th century because she
noticed that her coach horses had a tendency to head for the pub
rather than the manor. It was her opinion that her coachmen spent too
long in the pub. Now that would indicate to me that the horses
definitely knew where home should be

That would support what I said, they go where the driver wants to be
and not to their stables.
Unless you are saying they were stabled at the pub.

I'm saying that they, through experience, knew where they thought they
should go

you thick, thick brummie ****

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

That would support what I said, they go where the driver wants to be and
not to their stables.

Left to their own devices they will return to their stables.
C.F. any number of reports of horses throwing their rider then
running "home".

If they are following a route they often take they can memorise
it, so stopping at pubs or following corners (bends in the road).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , soup writes
dennis@home wrote:

That would support what I said, they go where the driver wants to be and
not to their stables.

Left to their own devices they will return to their stables.
C.F. any number of reports of horses throwing their rider then
running "home".

If they are following a route they often take they can memorise
it, so stopping at pubs or following corners (bends in the road).

You're right over dense's head there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
A local loon, an Elder of the Kirk, fired a shotgun over the head of
my friend as she was hanging out the washing on the sabbath day. Said
loon also happened to be a councillor and had no licence for said gun.
The polis came, spoke to him, did **** all.

So it's ok to fire a gun on the Sabbath, but not to do the washing. When
did his remaining brain cell die?

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , soup writes
dennis@home wrote:

That would support what I said, they go where the driver wants to be and
not to their stables.

Left to their own devices they will return to their stables.
C.F. any number of reports of horses throwing their rider then
running "home".

If they are following a route they often take they can memorise
it, so stopping at pubs or following corners (bends in the road).

You're right over dense's head there

Well over goef's head there,
he doesn't even understand "home" in the first place.
He thinks going back to a pub is going home.
He also can't understand that "home" is not where the horse decides to go
but where the driver decides to go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message

8

"Home" does not refer to somewhere you've never been before

In the case of eruv(i) they are an artificial construction to join similar
places together so they can ignore their normally stupid rules.
In which case "home" may be somewhere else in an eruv.

That bit was discussing horses and GPS, not eruvs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Here are the two relevant lines

" At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home."

"Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't."

dudley dickhead

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , soup writes
dennis@home wrote:

That would support what I said, they go where the driver wants to be and
not to their stables.

Left to their own devices they will return to their stables.
C.F. any number of reports of horses throwing their rider then
running "home".

If they are following a route they often take they can memorise
it, so stopping at pubs or following corners (bends in the road).

You're right over dense's head there

Well over goef's head there,
he doesn't even understand "home" in the first place.
He thinks going back to a pub is going home.
He also can't understand that "home" is not where the horse decides to
go but where the driver decides to go.

Again, you retarded

At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home.

Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2012 17:25, charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign
stating that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have
anyone - even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

Could be to give those who live close some rest from the noise?

Children playing is not noise.

it is if you live near a primary school at break time.

We do. It's a happy and uplifting sound.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2012 22:59, brass monkey wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

I have a couple of rechargeable torches that are plugged into
the mains all the time and come on auto when the mains fails. They are
fine for reading by.

Blimey, it must happen a lot down there. All the powergen convicts go on
strike?

During the 70's and the regular powercuts due to strikes, we had a spare
car battery in the living room, along with a 12V lamp hung on the wall
and a 12V portable TV.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:
On 03/08/2012 17:25, charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign
stating that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have
anyone - even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

Could be to give those who live close some rest from the noise?

Children playing is not noise.

it is if you live near a primary school at break time.

We do. It's a happy and uplifting sound.

+1.

We live on a "one sided" cul de sac with the school playing field on the
other side of the road from us. We never hear any "noise".

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Are you really dumb?
An eruv allows a large space to be "home".
Hence the horse doesn't know where its "home" is.
Hence the not to somewhere its never been to as it may well never have been
there or may just go to the wrong one.
Get it yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Are you really dumb?
An eruv allows a large space to be "home".
Hence the horse doesn't know where its "home" is.
Hence the not to somewhere its never been to as it may well never have
been there or may just go to the wrong one.
Get it yet?

Can horses be of the Hebrew persuasion?

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

No dennis - WE were not talking about an eruf

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
soup wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Happens with a power failure etc too, you can't do any work or
entertainment either.
And in that situation, at least I can read.

I tried reading by candlelight at the last power cut, I wish I had some
jelly to knit it would have been easier and less painful on the eyes.

I have a couple of rechargeable torches that are plugged into
the mains all the time and come on auto when the mains fails. They are
fine for reading by.

Blimey, it must happen a lot down there. All the powergen convicts go on
strike?

During the 70's and the regular powercuts due to strikes, we had a spare
car battery in the living room, along with a 12V lamp hung on the wall
and a 12V portable TV.

We'd just moved into our first house and after seeing to the
damp-proofing and the mains electrics were doing it up, room by room.
I took the opportunity to build in a 12v circuit with dual-voltage
caravan strip-light under the kitchen units and outlets for running
12v stuff off. We had a 12v B&W Indesit TV - ah: here it is:
http://tinyurl.com/d8yard9 Ours was White though.

Needless to say, once the 12v system was running sweetly, the power
cuts all stopped.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

No dennis - WE were not talking about an eruf

well horses don't have homes either so that's you talking cr@p.

O/T: Amish Elevator Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 2 May 5th 12 09:50 PM
The Amish are back....... gilb[_3_] Home Repair 16 July 3rd 09 06:23 PM
Amish Tom Watson Woodworking 12 October 10th 08 01:36 AM
Amish Plans [email protected] Woodworking 0 February 17th 06 01:42 AM