Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Amish and OSB

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house on
the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old (in
technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on much
ignorance.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 21:35:56 +0100
polygonum wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

I wasn't really watching - but I did later notice several things like
that. I can't get my head round why walking to a phone makes it OK...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:
Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar

The Amish philosophy is not to adopt a technology just
for the sake of adopting a technology. If it is a
useful tool to accomplish the work they chose to do,
and not a frivoulous toy, then they will use it.

A telephone is a useful emergency communication device,
which is more-or-less exactly how my great-grandmother
considered it.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

I didn't see the show - but I've had dinner in an Amish home. The fridge
and the lights were gas-powered, rather than electric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

polygonum wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

I wasn't really watching - but I did later notice several things like
that. I can't get my head round why walking to a phone makes it OK...

Yeah, one of the silliest wanks around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:
Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar

The Amish philosophy is not to adopt a technology just
for the sake of adopting a technology. If it is a
useful tool to accomplish the work they chose to do,
and not a frivoulous toy, then they will use it.

Its MUCH more complicated than that in practice.

That doesn't explain why they refuse to use an engine
in stuff as basic as a bike etc.

A telephone is a useful emergency communication device,

They don't just use the phone in the outhouse for emergencys.

And they'd be a lot better off with the phone in the house for emergencys
anyway.

which is more-or-less exactly how my great-grandmother considered it.

But presumably they werent that stupid with plenty of other technology
of that time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2012 23:03, S Viemeister wrote:

I didn't see the show - but I've had dinner in an Amish home. The fridge
and the lights were gas-powered, rather than electric.

I miss my gas powered Kitchen fridge. Only expect such things in
motorhomes nowadays.

Except maybe for this £1,437.60 thing...

http://www.coolhen.co.uk/Dometic-RGE...n&currency=GBP

"Gr-Granville! F-fetch yer cloth!"

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes

polygonum wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

I wasn't really watching - but I did later notice several things like
that. I can't get my head round why walking to a phone makes it OK...

It makes as much sense as all the other "get arounds" that exist in most
religions

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes

wrote in message
Davey wrote:
polygonum wrote:
Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar

The Amish philosophy is not to adopt a technology just
for the sake of adopting a technology. If it is a
useful tool to accomplish the work they chose to do,
and not a frivoulous toy, then they will use it.

Its MUCH more complicated than that in practice.

That doesn't explain why they refuse to use an engine
in stuff as basic as a bike etc.

I found the bit where they were pulling a petrol mower with a horse and
cart amusing

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 02/08/2012 23:03, S Viemeister wrote:

I didn't see the show - but I've had dinner in an Amish home. The fridge
and the lights were gas-powered, rather than electric.

I miss my gas powered Kitchen fridge. Only expect such things in
motorhomes nowadays.

Except maybe for this £1,437.60 thing...

http://www.coolhen.co.uk/Dometic-RGE...n&currency=GBP

That's because its not quite Domesticated

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote
Davey wrote

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home.

Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 23:39:51 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , polygonum
writes

wrote:

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining the Amish house
on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two centuries old
(in technology terms) is too modern. But that is very likely based on
much ignorance.

Not to mention the Fridge, the 'phone (in an outhouse!) and the solar
panels.

I wasn't really watching - but I did later notice several things like
that. I can't get my head round why walking to a phone makes it OK...

It makes as much sense as all the other "get arounds" that exist in most
religions

The one I like is the eruv.

I once heard of an eruv where the wired off area was very small....but
that was considered the 'outside'....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Owain wrote

At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way home.

Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

I'll slightly qualify my original statement by saying
the horse always knows the way to its home.

Most don't use a GPS to get to their home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 02/08/2012 23:03, S Viemeister wrote:

I didn't see the show - but I've had dinner in an Amish home. The fridge
and the lights were gas-powered, rather than electric.

I miss my gas powered Kitchen fridge. Only expect such things in
motorhomes nowadays.

Not in mine. Gas fridges are a nightmare. The best fridges for mobile
use are the 24V DC ones meant for yachts.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

It makes as much sense as all the other "get arounds" that exist in most
religions

The one I like is the eruv.

I once heard of an eruv where the wired off area was very small....but
that was considered the 'outside'....

You just don't understand the finer points of religious reasoning. An
eruv is a boundary wall taken to its most minimal extreme. You start off
by asking what a wall is, and move on to asking whether it's still a
wall if it's not in good condition. Everybody would agree it is. Then,
what if it has holes in? Sure, that's okay. So, what if the holes are
really big holes? That's okay, too. So, you end up with an eruv, which
is a wall with a simply huge hole in it.

It's all perfectly logical, but if you think of it as a boundary marker
you may be happier. It's no different, really, from the boundary line
between neighbouring counties, but even that tenuous line acts as a
barrier to policemen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 11:39:59 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Owain wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Owain wrote

At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way
home.

Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.

I'll slightly qualify my original statement by saying
the horse always knows the way to its home.

Most don't use a GPS to get to their home.

Yep, most horses don't use GPS, agreed.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 09:46:02 +0100
GB wrote:

[...]

It sounds like one of those invisible dog fences.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
That doesn't explain why they refuse to use an engine
in stuff as basic as a bike etc.

Stuff as basic as a bike doesn't need an engine if
you've got legs. A bicycle is almost the most
efficient method of using human power for propulsion.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yes, but the bit where a very small enclosed spec is taken to be the
'outside' and the rest of the world the 'inside' was what took the
biscuit! A bit like the guy and his hut in HHGttG...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

[...]

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish religion that forbids ALL work on the sabbath.

I watched a programme many years ago about the extraordinary lengths some would go to comply with this. Even down to a special light switch which was designed to comply with this.Some wont even take the bones out of fish or filter water on the sabbath

Beats me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote

It makes as much sense as all the other "get arounds" that exist in most
religions

The one I like is the eruv.

I once heard of an eruv where the wired off area was very small....
but that was considered the 'outside'....

You just don't understand the finer points of religious reasoning.

No such animal.

An eruv is a boundary wall taken to its most minimal extreme. You start
off by asking what a wall is, and move on to asking whether it's still a
wall if it's not in good condition. Everybody would agree it is. Then,
what if it has holes in? Sure, that's okay. So, what if the holes are
really big holes? That's okay, too. So, you end up with an eruv, which is
a wall with a simply huge hole in it.

An eruv is in fact a completely mindless silly wank.

It's all perfectly logical,

Pigs arse it is.

but if you think of it as a boundary marker you may be happier. It's no
different, really, from the boundary line between neighbouring counties,

Completely different in fact. Those dont allow you to do what you
can't otherwise do.

but even that tenuous line acts as a barrier to policemen.

Only in a stupid system thats actually stupid enough to do the cops by
county.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/08/2012 10:08, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Actually, I don't think that could work as an eruv, so I am not sure
where you got that from?

A bit like the guy and his hut in HHGttG...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote:

That doesn't explain why they refuse to
use an engine in stuff as basic as a bike etc.

Stuff as basic as a bike doesn't need an engine if you've got legs.

Wrong when you want to go far.

A bicycle is almost the most efficient method
of using human power for propulsion.

They allow the use of horses anyway.

Its all a completely mindless silly wank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote
Davey wrote
GB wrote

[...]

Same one.

I watched a programme many years ago about the extraordinary
lengths some would go to comply with this. Even down to a
special light switch which was designed to comply with this.

And require some damned rabbi to collect every scrap of
someone who has been blown to bits by some rag head etc.

Some wont even take the bones out of fish or filter water on the sabbath

Beats me

Some even encourage that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred
wrote:

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish religion that forbids ALL work
on the sabbath.

I watched a programme many years ago about the extraordinary lengths some
would go to comply with this. Even down to a special light switch which
was designed to comply with this.Some wont even take the bones out of
fish or filter water on the sabbath

and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign stating
that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have anyone -
even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 4:00*am, Bill Wright wrote:
Adrian C wrote:
On 02/08/2012 23:03, S Viemeister wrote:

I didn't see the show - but I've had dinner in an Amish home. The fridge
and the lights were gas-powered, rather than electric.

I miss my gas powered Kitchen fridge. Only expect such things in
motorhomes nowadays.

Not in mine. Gas fridges are a nightmare. The best fridges for mobile
use are the 24V DC ones meant for yachts.

I've just had a flashback to trying to get a gas-powered fridge lit in
a caravan. Kneeling on the floor with your head in the fridge while
repeatedly pressing a piezo-electric button and trying to see a tiny
blue flame through a little perspex window while muttering in basic
Anglo-Saxon. Thank the lord for electrical hook-ups.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish religion that forbids ALL work on the sabbath.

I've stayed in a household like that over the sabbath. Once you get the
hang of what's going on, it's actually very relaxing.

I suspect that it's less crazy than everyone else in the country rushing
off to the shopping centre on Saturday to spend money they haven't got
and can't afford on things they don't need. :-)

I kind of envied the Amish their certainty about things. No ontological
problems for them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish
religion that forbids ALL work on the sabbath.

I've stayed in a household like that over the sabbath. Once you
get the hang of what's going on, it's actually very relaxing.

Nope, stupidly boring.

I suspect that it's less crazy than everyone else in the country
rushing off to the shopping centre on Saturday to spend money
they haven't got and can't afford on things they don't need. :-)

That isnt required for you to do.

I kind of envied the Amish their certainty about things.

That's a myth.

No ontological problems for them!

Wrong again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote
polygonum wrote

Surprised to see what looks very much like OSB lining
the Amish house on the program on BBC2 right now.

Always get the impression that anything less than two
centuries old (in technology terms) is too modern. But
that is very likely based on much ignorance.

There are a number of sub-sects of Amish. The ones you see on TV are
always the more moderate ones, since the "hard line" Amish, who eschew
most modern technology, will not allow themselves to be filmed.

And even the more relaxed of them have stupid rules on the colors
you can have your horse drawn things painted, and what color
braces etc you can wear. Completely off with the ****ing fairys.

Indeed, some of the "Amish" I have seen on TV are not, strictly speaking,
Amish at all, but families who have been "shunned" for using modern
technology, but still keep elements of the Amish lifestyle.

(My parents live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, aka
"Amish Country", although the community in Ohio is larger.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-03, F wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/3/2012 5:15 AM, fred wrote:

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish religion that forbids ALL
work on the sabbath.

I watched a programme many years ago about the extraordinary lengths
some would go to comply with this. Even down to a special light switch
which was designed to comply with this.Some wont even take the bones
out of fish or filter water on the sabbath

Beats me

There are also cookers with Sabbath settings. Years ago, local gentiles
would light the stove, now technology takes care of it...

There is a sabbath setting on my modern F&P fridge.

WTF does it do?

Not sure how clear this is,jpeg of manual page.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/3/2012 5:15 AM, fred wrote:

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish religion that forbids ALL
work on the sabbath.

I watched a programme many years ago about the extraordinary lengths
some would go to comply with this. Even down to a special light switch
which was designed to comply with this.Some wont even take the bones
out of fish or filter water on the sabbath

Beats me

There are also cookers with Sabbath settings. Years ago, local gentiles
would light the stove, now technology takes care of it...

There was, IIRC, debate some time ago as to whether asking a trained
animal to turn on a light or switch an appliance on was considered
"work" during Shabbat. Some families had allegedly trained monkeys to
operate switches on request.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign
stating that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have
anyone - even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

Could be to give those who live close some rest from the noise?

there were no houses nearby

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
and much closer to home - on the Island of Scalpay - there is a sign
stating that the children's playground is closed on Sunday. Can't have
anyone - even children - enjoying themselves on the Sabbath.

Could be to give those who live close some rest from the noise?

Children playing is not noise.

it is if you live near a primary school at break time.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Could be to give those who live close some rest from the noise?

Children playing is not noise.

Neither is my favourite music played at full belt - to me. Others might
differ.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-03, F wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 8/3/2012 5:15 AM, fred wrote:

Can't be as crazy as the strain of Jewish religion that forbids ALL
work on the sabbath.

I watched a programme many years ago about the extraordinary lengths
some would go to comply with this. Even down to a special light switch
which was designed to comply with this.Some wont even take the bones
out of fish or filter water on the sabbath

Beats me

There are also cookers with Sabbath settings. Years ago, local gentiles
would light the stove, now technology takes care of it...

There is a sabbath setting on my modern F&P fridge.
WTF does it do?

Not sure how clear this is,jpeg of manual page.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Disables the light.

Weird. One would have thought that opening the dor was "work" and therefore
not allowed, so it doesn't matter if the light comes on. But then, I am not
Jewish.

Lighting a fire is forbidden, and turning a light on is considered byh
some to be equivalent to lighting a fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activit...ted_on_Shabbat

For more about what Jews may and may not do during Shabbat.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 06:07:35 -0700 (PDT)
"Man at B&Q" wrote:

On Aug 3, 2:39Â*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Owain wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Owain wrote
At least they don't need GPS - the horse always knows the way
home.
Not to somewhere its never been it doesn't.
I'll slightly qualify my original statement by saying
the horse always knows the way to its home.

Most don't use a GPS to get to their home.

I've yet to see *any* horse using a GPS for *anything*.

MBQ

My point exactly. I was responding to Rod, which I know is a waste of my
time, but what the hell, he is easy to bait!
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 14:07:12 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

On 03/08/2012 11:38, Owain wrote:
On Aug 3, 10:07 am, wrote:
Stuff as basic as a bike doesn't need an engine if
you've got legs. A bicycle is almost the most
efficient method of using human power for propulsion.

Rather less efficient than walking, as the weight of the bicycle
also has to be propelled.

Owain

Utterly clueless. The weight of the bicycle makes it very slightly
harder to accelerate, but the rotating wheels make the whole thing
about 3x more efficient than walking. For a given amount of effort
expended an average person can do 15km/h on a bike or 5km/h walking.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...rgy_efficiency

At higher speeds wind drag becomes a factor for cycling fast.

Which it doesn't for a walker, unless he is in a strong headwind. I
agree entirely with your argument.
--
Davey.

O/T: Amish Elevator Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 2 May 5th 12 09:50 PM
The Amish are back....... gilb[_3_] Home Repair 16 July 3rd 09 06:23 PM
Amish Tom Watson Woodworking 12 October 10th 08 01:36 AM
Amish Plans [email protected] Woodworking 0 February 17th 06 01:42 AM