Posted to uk.d-i-y
rob rob is offline

Default Fixing hinges to wall

I've got a wooden gate (6'x3' flimsy pine, about 15kg) and I'm going to
fix it to a solid brick wall edge using 3 T-hinges. The latch will
engage in a non-too substantial wooden post.

Is it best to fix a batten to the wall, and screw the hinges to the
batten? Or fix the hinges direct to the brick?

Thanks, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
I've got a wooden gate (6'x3' flimsy pine, about 15kg) and I'm going to
fix it to a solid brick wall edge using 3 T-hinges. The latch will
engage in a non-too substantial wooden post.

Is it best to fix a batten to the wall, and screw the hinges to the
batten? Or fix the hinges direct to the brick?

Thanks, Rob

Batten to the wall first. This allows your to put the hinges exactly
where you want them rather that where the holes wander to in the wall.

Bob

question about kitchen wall cabinets - fixing to wall benpost UK diy 15 May 15th 08 03:12 PM
fixing lcd tv to wall svmsbb UK diy 3 June 27th 06 10:12 PM
Fixing hinges of humidor Enila Nero Woodworking 9 July 27th 05 05:59 AM
Lubricating Wall Oven Hinges Victor Grund Home Repair 4 January 21st 05 12:02 AM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM