Enila Nero

Default Fixing hinges of humidor

The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during
shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out
and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on
wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden
in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in
diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound
that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Thank you for your help on this.

mr_class

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Humidor Hinge Repair."

tom

Enila Nero wrote:
The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during
shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out
and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on
wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden
in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in
diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound
that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Thank you for your help on this. You could try slipping a thin piece of soft wood into the hole, then installing the screw.... Tom

Dan Major

Enila Nero wrote in
news
The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during
shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out
and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on
wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden
in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in
diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound
that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Jam a bunch of thin toothpicks in the holes. Break them off flush with the
surface. If the screws pull out again, put a small amount of glue on the
toothpicks.
Chuck

Some generic sawdust mixed with Elmer's glue, packed in the stripped out
holes and allowed to dry will do the trick.

Good luck

--
Chuck

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian
"Enila Nero" wrote in message
news
The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during
shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out
and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on
wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden
in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in
diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound
that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Thank you for your help on this.

bungalowed

The sawdust and wood glue or toothpick bits and wood glue trick is the best,
but I would suggest driving the screws before the glue sets completely. You
get a bit of squeeze-out of the glue, but it will set the screw nicely. If
you don't do that and fill the old hole with the mix, you might need to
predrill new (smaller) holes before you put the screws in, otherwise the
wood can split. Sayeth a resident woodworker...

It's not a major operation in either regard.

Good luck!

Will

"Chuck" wrote in message
. ..
Some generic sawdust mixed with Elmer's glue, packed in the stripped out
holes and allowed to dry will do the trick.

Good luck

--
Chuck

I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian
"Enila Nero" wrote in message
news
The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during
shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out
and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on
wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden
in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in
diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound
that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Thank you for your help on this.

John

Drill out the stripped screwhole and glue in a piece of dowel, once
cured, drill an appropriate pilot hole and reinstall the original
screw

However, I think I would rather FILE a complaint with the folks who
broke during shipping - UPS/FedEx/etc and let them foot the bill for a
replacement. You might also want to try calling the vendor about
replacing it as it arrived broken - they usually will take it back and
ship you a replacement

John

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 22:42:35 GMT, Enila Nero
wrote:

The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during
shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out
and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on
wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden
in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in
diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound
that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Thank you for your help on this.

What? The door just came off during shipping? The screws just popped
out? How in the hell does a 2" screw just pop out?

Who delivered your humidor a couple of gorila apes?

Contact the shipper and file a claim but remember that you now have a
damaged humidor and now go out and buy a new one.

or ...

Go down to the local hardware center and get some 1/4" x 4" lag screws
and use those. Problem solved.