Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default question about kitchen wall cabinets - fixing to wall

they are the standard ones with a plastic thing that screws into the
top corners from the inside, and has 2 screws for adjustment. the
sticking out bit is right next to the side panels of the cabinet. my
question is, do you have to position the wall brackets exactly, so
that they will not get in the way when you adjust the cabinet position
back against the wall. ie level it up, bring the top into the wall
instead of sticking out. this seems strange to me as it would be
hanging the cabinets on the outside edge of the brackets.

if anyone know what im talking about please reply!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
they are the standard ones with a plastic thing that screws into the
top corners from the inside, and has 2 screws for adjustment. the
sticking out bit is right next to the side panels of the cabinet. my
question is, do you have to position the wall brackets exactly, so
that they will not get in the way when you adjust the cabinet position
back against the wall. ie level it up, bring the top into the wall
instead of sticking out. this seems strange to me as it would be
hanging the cabinets on the outside edge of the brackets.

if anyone know what im talking about please reply!

Are you talking about the the type bracket that is affixed to the wall...its
about 1.3/4" long by about an 1" wide and has two securing holes were its
fixed by screws?
If so it needs to be fixed about 1mm away from the cupboard corner sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This type?
http://tinyurl.com/63j5x7

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
This type?
http://tinyurl.com/63j5x7

Damn! never took it to the correct page?

code 96483

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

benpost wrote:
they are the standard ones with a plastic thing that screws into the
top corners from the inside, and has 2 screws for adjustment. the
sticking out bit is right next to the side panels of the cabinet. my
question is, do you have to position the wall brackets exactly, so
that they will not get in the way when you adjust the cabinet position
back against the wall. ie level it up, bring the top into the wall
instead of sticking out. this seems strange to me as it would be
hanging the cabinets on the outside edge of the brackets.

if anyone know what im talking about please reply!

I think you mean fixings similar to these:

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=464&subCat=000

They are called "cabinet suspension fittings". Most of the ones I have
fitted have been, as you describe, very close to the end of the wall
plate. So, yes, they do have to be pretty accurately mounted (at least,
in the left/right direction).

The link shows a type that has separate Left and Right parts. On these,
the bit that "hangs" on the wall plate is slightly offset so would
usually attach several millimetres along from the end. This means that
there is a little more tolerance of inaccuarate wall fixing.

In reality, I have not found it difficult to mount the wall plates
sufficiently accurately but I am sure that depends at least partly on
the walls. Nice, true, easy to drill - not a problem.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hi - yes they are the ones.
the problem is do the wall brackets have to fit inside the side
panels
see this crappy drawing i did:
http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/slideshow...8/t_=121762838
do the brackets have to be in this position - so that when you use the
adjuster screw and pull the top of the cabinet back into the wall (so
that the whole thing is level and not tilted), the side panels do not
hit the brackets and stop it coming back all the way to the wall?
the plywood back of the cabinet sits recessed to the side panels....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
hi - yes they are the ones.
the problem is do the wall brackets have to fit inside the side
panels
see this crappy drawing i did:

http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/slideshow...ID=4949988706/
a=121762838_121762838/t_=121762838
do the brackets have to be in this position - so that when you use the
adjuster screw and pull the top of the cabinet back into the wall (so
that the whole thing is level and not tilted), the side panels do not
hit the brackets and stop it coming back all the way to the wall?
the plywood back of the cabinet sits recessed to the side panels....

Thats the way, they have to sit inside the sides of the cabinet sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks george, glad you understand my question! it just seems a bit
strange why the brackets are so wide when its only possible for the
hook thing to sit a bit right at the end.

also regarding the height, i've got my s/s splashback and chimney
sitting above it. should i aim to have the top of the chimney hood in-
line with the top of the wall cabinets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

benpost wrote:
hi - yes they are the ones.
the problem is do the wall brackets have to fit inside the side
panels
see this crappy drawing i did:
http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/slideshow...8/t_=121762838
do the brackets have to be in this position - so that when you use the
adjuster screw and pull the top of the cabinet back into the wall (so
that the whole thing is level and not tilted), the side panels do not
hit the brackets and stop it coming back all the way to the wall?
the plywood back of the cabinet sits recessed to the side panels....

Yes - they do. Yes - it is "odd". That is why I prefer the ones I linked
to! :-)

If you didn't do this, the cupboard could never sit flat against the
wall and, assuming the wall is truly vertical, the cupboard front would
lean out.

Of course, if you could sink the wall plates into the wall by their
total thickness, you would be able to fit them so that their outer edges
were behind the cupboard edge.

Or you could place a small piece of, say, hardboard under the cupboard
part as you fit them. That would give you 3 or 4 mm extra to play with.
(Be careful about how much of the screw is in the cupboard wall. You
might have to use the next screw size up.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the tips, now i know the theory i will have a go at fitting
them correctly and lining them up in the next few days!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
they are the standard ones with a plastic thing that screws into the
top corners from the inside, and has 2 screws for adjustment. the
sticking out bit is right next to the side panels of the cabinet. my
question is, do you have to position the wall brackets exactly, so
that they will not get in the way when you adjust the cabinet position
back against the wall. ie level it up, bring the top into the wall
instead of sticking out. this seems strange to me as it would be
hanging the cabinets on the outside edge of the brackets.

if anyone know what im talking about please reply!

These are standard with most kitchen units, the plasitc fitting has a two
pronged 'claw' that hooks over the brackets. All the units I've fitted had
instructions with the right measurements & offsets. You have about 6mm
sideways play each side and about the same up & down.

Essentially they need to go just inside the side panels. Turn the adjusting
screws so that the claws protrude as much as possible, hook the cabinet over
the brackets, then turn the screws so its pulled back almost flush with the
wall. Use the other adjusting screw to level it, then finally pull it right
back to the wall.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
news

benpost wrote:
[...]

Not quite "finally" (at least on my MFI Schreiber ones) - after you have
sorted out the brackets and adjustment, don't forget to whack some sturdy
screws through the bottom "rail" into the wall as well!

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
[...]

Good advice - assuming the units have a bottom rail - cheaper ones dont.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

no i dont think there is a bottom rail. another question, the bottom
screw allows the claw to pull in or out, and the top screw seems to
just tighten up the claw and reduce play, but what is it meant to do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

benpost wrote:
no i dont think there is a bottom rail. another question, the bottom
screw allows the claw to pull in or out, and the top screw seems to
just tighten up the claw and reduce play, but what is it meant to do?

Top and bottom screws do not always wrok the same way round.

One will pull the claw in/let it out. That is, moves the cupboard in the
horizontal plane.

One will pull the screw down/let it go up. That is, moves the cupboard
in the vertical plane parallel to the wall. Often the claw will not move
if you do this when holding the bracket in your hand. Try pushing
upwards against tha claw to see what happens.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks i'm pretty sure i can now complete the job. cheers guys

Kitchen wall cupboard fixing Terry D[_2_] UK diy 0 November 3rd 07 08:18 PM
crown molding on full overlay kitchen wall cabinets Mikepier Home Repair 3 July 23rd 07 11:44 PM
Under Kitchen Wall Cabinets Angled Sockets RzB UK diy 2 August 17th 06 05:35 PM
Kitchen wall cabinets Tim Lamb UK diy 14 May 30th 05 09:35 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM