Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default question about kitchen wall cabinets - fixing to wall

benpost wrote:
they are the standard ones with a plastic thing that screws into the
top corners from the inside, and has 2 screws for adjustment. the
sticking out bit is right next to the side panels of the cabinet. my
question is, do you have to position the wall brackets exactly, so
that they will not get in the way when you adjust the cabinet position
back against the wall. ie level it up, bring the top into the wall
instead of sticking out. this seems strange to me as it would be
hanging the cabinets on the outside edge of the brackets.

if anyone know what im talking about please reply!

I think you mean fixings similar to these:

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/productDetail.aspx?product=464&subCat=000

They are called "cabinet suspension fittings". Most of the ones I have
fitted have been, as you describe, very close to the end of the wall
plate. So, yes, they do have to be pretty accurately mounted (at least,
in the left/right direction).

The link shows a type that has separate Left and Right parts. On these,
the bit that "hangs" on the wall plate is slightly offset so would
usually attach several millimetres along from the end. This means that
there is a little more tolerance of inaccuarate wall fixing.

In reality, I have not found it difficult to mount the wall plates
sufficiently accurately but I am sure that depends at least partly on
the walls. Nice, true, easy to drill - not a problem.

--
Rod

onset.