Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1/4 turn ceramic tap valves

Hi,

Speculative question:

I have 1/4 turn lever taps on the bathroom basin. The splines on the cold
tap are failing (lever spins). I've cleaned the lever and valve splines and
put a few drops of Rocol Threadlock on in an attempt to bond the two togther
- in a way that could probably be sheared with a sharp tap if needed.

Should this not be sucessful, I do have a spare tap. How hard is it to take
the valve out the top of the tap? (The spare tap is identical except for
being 1/2" instead of 3/4" - pretty sure the valve body is the same).

Is it a case of spanner on brass valve flats and unscrew - or am I likely to
be caught out by something weird?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2012 22:27, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

Speculative question:

I have 1/4 turn lever taps on the bathroom basin. The splines on the cold
tap are failing (lever spins). I've cleaned the lever and valve splines and
put a few drops of Rocol Threadlock on in an attempt to bond the two togther
- in a way that could probably be sheared with a sharp tap if needed.

Should this not be sucessful, I do have a spare tap. How hard is it to take
the valve out the top of the tap? (The spare tap is identical except for
being 1/2" instead of 3/4" - pretty sure the valve body is the same).

Is it a case of spanner on brass valve flats and unscrew - or am I likely to
be caught out by something weird?

Cheers

Tim

Swapping internals is easy, as you describe, but I'd expect the seat
parts to be different sizes on sink and bath taps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2012 22:27, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

Speculative question:

I have 1/4 turn lever taps on the bathroom basin. The splines on the cold
tap are failing (lever spins). I've cleaned the lever and valve splines and
put a few drops of Rocol Threadlock on in an attempt to bond the two togther
- in a way that could probably be sheared with a sharp tap if needed.

Should this not be sucessful, I do have a spare tap. How hard is it to take
the valve out the top of the tap? (The spare tap is identical except for
being 1/2" instead of 3/4" - pretty sure the valve body is the same).

Is it a case of spanner on brass valve flats and unscrew - or am I likely to
be caught out by something weird?

Cheers

Tim

If manufacturer sells spare valve insert .. get one first.
I changed one on my ceramic valves with no problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2012 22:27, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

Speculative question:

I have 1/4 turn lever taps on the bathroom basin. The splines on the cold
tap are failing (lever spins). I've cleaned the lever and valve splines and
put a few drops of Rocol Threadlock on in an attempt to bond the two togther
- in a way that could probably be sheared with a sharp tap if needed.

Should this not be sucessful, I do have a spare tap. How hard is it to take
the valve out the top of the tap? (The spare tap is identical except for
being 1/2" instead of 3/4" - pretty sure the valve body is the same).

Is it a case of spanner on brass valve flats and unscrew - or am I likely to
be caught out by something weird?

Pretty straight forward IME. Once you have the top off, then whole thing
then normally unscrews from the tap body.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Thanks all.

I'll pop it out and see if the seats are different.

I'll have to try and remember where I got them to get a spare valve.

I found the culprit - the Rocol worked perfectly, until my daughter touched
it. I have just explained 1/4 turn only require finger pressure, not full-
hand-welly. *sigh*...
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

[...]

For now I have put the lever of my spare 1/2" on (lever and bodies are
identical between 1/2 and 3/4"). Seems *reasonably* OK - I think the lever
lost its splines more than the valve spindle.

However, I have found out the specific brand I have a

Ultra Solo CG302 Bath Taps (I used bath on basin for a better fit - 1/2"
slop around in the massive holes).

No luck finding spare valves via google yet - I think I though probably buy
a spare pair of taps while I can for parts, they're only 18 quid a pair so
not too bad...

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Rick Hughes wrote:

[...]

Ah ha - I think I have it:

http://www.ultra-group.co.uk/Line_Dr...-datasheet.pdf

They are not a current line, but I will ring them in a mo and see about
spares...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2012 08:42, Tim Watts wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

[...]

Try here http://www.shop.lunns.net/tap-spares-8-c.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Try here http://www.shop.lunns.net/tap-spares-8-c.asp

Thanks Dave,

That's very useful - ta

I rang the manufacturer and they said £28/pair for valves+levers. I pointed
out I could get an entire pair of taps on ebay for £18-22 - but it was the
kids fault for being ham fisted and stripping the splines.

After a moment, she said she's send me a pair gratis - now I am impressed

Cheers,

Tim
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2012 08:23, Tim Watts wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Some folks do seem to like to twist the nuts off every tap they meet!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Some folks do seem to like to twist the nuts off every tap they meet!

She's been told she'll be helping to fix it, when I get the free valves the
manufacturer promised me today. Plumbing for 8 year olds...
--
Tim Watts