Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1/4 turn valves for water pipes - name or link please

I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves in
15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.
Can anyone supply a link and/or a name please?
Returned home this evening to find swmbo placing buckets/bowls/pots etc.
under drips coming from failed HW cylinder.
Have isolated cold feed to cylinder and drained it. Also turned off
immersion heater and gas fired water heating.
Can live with cold water only for a couple of days.
Changing the cylinder is a good opportunity to upgrade and reroute some
pipework.
Thanks
GS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:11:11 -0000, "Great Scot"
wrote:

|!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves in
|!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.
|!Can anyone supply a link and/or a name please?
|!Returned home this evening to find swmbo placing buckets/bowls/pots etc.
|!under drips coming from failed HW cylinder.
|!Have isolated cold feed to cylinder and drained it. Also turned off
|!immersion heater and gas fired water heating.
|!Can live with cold water only for a couple of days.
|!Changing the cylinder is a good opportunity to upgrade and reroute some
|!pipework.

They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
ones
15 an 22 mm are available

All the sheds sell them.

I add one at the drop of a hat.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves

in
|!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.
|!Can anyone supply a link and/or a name please?
|!Returned home this evening to find swmbo placing buckets/bowls/pots etc.
|!under drips coming from failed HW cylinder.
|!Have isolated cold feed to cylinder and drained it. Also turned off
|!immersion heater and gas fired water heating.
|!Can live with cold water only for a couple of days.
|!Changing the cylinder is a good opportunity to upgrade and reroute some
|!pipework.

They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
ones
15 an 22 mm are available

I think the OP wants something like this if he is replacing gate valves.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves

in
|!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.
|!Can anyone supply a link and/or a name please?
|!Returned home this evening to find swmbo placing buckets/bowls/pots
etc.
|!under drips coming from failed HW cylinder.
|!Have isolated cold feed to cylinder and drained it. Also turned off
|!immersion heater and gas fired water heating.
|!Can live with cold water only for a couple of days.
|!Changing the cylinder is a good opportunity to upgrade and reroute some
|!pipework.

They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
ones
15 an 22 mm are available

I think the OP wants something like this if he is replacing gate valves.

Bob

I think you are both right. The service valves are compact and convenient
for local isolation eg for replacing tap washers, but I'd go for metal ones
as the plastic screw heads on pushfit are not very positive. The full bore
quarter turns are great for isolating the main supply if you put them
somewhere convenient. I'm about to put one in the hall on the gas, to match
the one on the water. (At the moment you have to find the key for the gas
box outside in order to isolate the gas).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote

|!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves in
|!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.

snip

They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
ones

The problem with those is that they're not full-bore. The little 'ball
with a hole'[1] inside restricts the flow substantially. They're very
useful for isolating individual items (a sink, WC, bath, outside tap,
etc) but they're not really suitable for replacing a stop cock.

Footnote
--------
1. There *must* be a technical name for these things!

--
-blj-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian L
Johnson writes
Dave Fawthrop wrote

|!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves in
|!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.

snip

They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
ones

The problem with those is that they're not full-bore. The little 'ball
with a hole'[1] inside restricts the flow substantially. They're very
useful for isolating individual items (a sink, WC, bath, outside tap,
etc) but they're not really suitable for replacing a stop cock.

Footnote
--------
1. There *must* be a technical name for these things!

Yep, they're quarter turn ball valves :-)

Either isolating or full flow (bore)
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:28:05 -0000, "Newshound"
wrote:

|!
|!"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
|!
|! "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
|! ...
|! On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:11:11 -0000, "Great Scot"
|! wrote:
|!
|! |!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|! |!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves
|! in
|! |!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.
|! |!Can anyone supply a link and/or a name please?
|! |!Returned home this evening to find swmbo placing buckets/bowls/pots
|! etc.
|! |!under drips coming from failed HW cylinder.
|! |!Have isolated cold feed to cylinder and drained it. Also turned off
|! |!immersion heater and gas fired water heating.
|! |!Can live with cold water only for a couple of days.
|! |!Changing the cylinder is a good opportunity to upgrade and reroute some
|! |!pipework.
|!
|! They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
|! ones
|! http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...19924&ts=16243
|! 15 an 22 mm are available
|!
|!
|! I think the OP wants something like this if he is replacing gate valves.
|! http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...17922&id=13103
|!
|! Bob
|!
|!I think you are both right. The service valves are compact and convenient
|!for local isolation eg for replacing tap washers, but I'd go for metal ones
|!as the plastic screw heads on pushfit are not very positive. The full bore
|!quarter turns are great for isolating the main supply if you put them
|!somewhere convenient. I'm about to put one in the hall on the gas, to match
|!the one on the water. (At the moment you have to find the key for the gas
|!box outside in order to isolate the gas).

A pair of long nosed pliers fine ob the silly the triangular thing on the
gas box work fine. I have now acquired a cheap yellow one.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
European Convention on Human Rights http://www.hri.org/docs/ECHR50.html
Then sign this petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Ban-Sharia
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:28:05 +0000, Newshound wrote:

... I'm about to put one in the
hall on the gas, to match the one on the water. (At the moment you have
to find the key for the gas box outside in order to isolate the gas).

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Someone turns it off thinking it't
the water one, goes "Oh that's not it" and turns it back on again. And
then your wok burner ring which was alight before is now ****ing out
unburnt gas into the kitchen ....

Why not just hang a key for the gas box somewhere convenient?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote

The little 'ball with a hole'[1]

snip

1. There *must* be a technical name for these things!

Yep, they're quarter turn ball valves :-)

D'oh!

slaps forehead

--
-blj-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 22:28:05 +0000, Newshound wrote:

... I'm about to put one in the
hall on the gas, to match the one on the water. (At the moment you have
to find the key for the gas box outside in order to isolate the gas).

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Someone turns it off thinking it't
the water one, goes "Oh that's not it" and turns it back on again. And
then your wok burner ring which was alight before is now ****ing out
unburnt gas into the kitchen ....

Why not just hang a key for the gas box somewhere convenient?

I will teach my family the colour code and perhaps label it for safety! The
box outside is quite awkward to get at, and the valve is not obvious
especially in the dark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Someone turns it off thinking it't
the water one, goes "Oh that's not it" and turns it back on again. And
then your wok burner ring which was alight before is now ****ing out
unburnt gas into the kitchen ....

WOK, no FFD?

Sorry, I'll get me coat...